what is up with the "T14 or DON'T GO" sentiment?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Bronze

Re: what is up with the "T14 or DON'T GO" sentiment??

Post by 83947368 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
Flash wrote:T13*
everybody loves to hate on georgetown UT...
T14 - (Georgetown and UT) = T13, since those schools are tied for 14th, effectively making it 15 schools in the T14.

Yeah, math.
Er, I don't think you got it haha.

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:43 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:To the extent that the T14 is a relevant thing, which it isn't, UT is not a T14 school. There's nothing magical about being ranked #14 that makes you special.
Disclaimer: 0L here.

Anyhow... it's a T14 school if the metric you are using is the US News rankings, which as far as I know are in fact the rankings that everyone is talking about.

I don't understand the anti-UT trolling around here... it isn't any more regional than e.g. Boalt, and isn't competing with nearly as many good schools for its home market, and it's in a home market that is both reasonably hot and notoriously difficult to crack into. The Texas Biglaw lawyers I've talked to have all told me that the preference order for people who know that they want to do Biglaw in Houston, Dallas, or Austin is something along the lines of Harvard=Top 10% at Texas>>>anything else above median at Texas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anywhere else in the T14>>>>Houston/Tech/whatever.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 am

justinp wrote: I don't understand the anti-UT trolling around here... it isn't any more regional than e.g. Boalt, and isn't competing with nearly as many good schools for its home market, and it's in a home market that is both reasonably hot and notoriously difficult to crack into.
The "T14" is a stupid debate but LOL at the idea that Boalt is as regional as UT. Boalt is a national school that happens to be in California. UT places in Texas.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am

justinp wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:To the extent that the T14 is a relevant thing, which it isn't, UT is not a T14 school. There's nothing magical about being ranked #14 that makes you special.
Disclaimer: 0L here.

Anyhow... it's a T14 school if the metric you are using is the US News rankings, which as far as I know are in fact the rankings that everyone is talking about.

I don't understand the anti-UT trolling around here... it isn't any more regional than e.g. Boalt, and isn't competing with nearly as many good schools for its home market, and it's in a home market that is both reasonably hot and notoriously difficult to crack into. The Texas Biglaw lawyers I've talked to have all told me that the preference order for people who know that they want to do Biglaw in Houston, Dallas, or Austin is something along the lines of Harvard=Top 10% at Texas>>>anything else above median at Texas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anywhere else in the T14>>>>Houston/Tech/whatever.
Boalt is, I think, indisputably less regional than UT. But UT is a fine school, and I have nothing against it. It just isn't a T14 school.

The point is that the T14 is a group of schools that have not been ranked below the top 14 for the last 20+ years, and have each been in the top ten at some point. The significance of the group is not that there's anything special about being ranked in the top 14 (which would be a ridiculously arbitrary cut-off), but that it's a stable group of schools that have consistently been considered very prestigious and have national pull, while the schools below the T14 have shuffled around a lot in the rankings over the years and are generally considered very good regional schools rather than national ones. This conventional wisdom has changed in this economy, which is why I say the T14 isn't really that relevant as a concept. But regardless, the fact that UT is ranked #14 this year does not put it in the same category as those other schools. If anything it's just further evidence that the T14 isn't a meaningful entity anymore.

Anyway, this is all kind of obnoxious stuff, but as long as people are talking about T14 they should at least understand what they're talking about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 pm

iamrobk wrote: Er, I don't think you got it haha.
Shhh, don't ruin it. I'm trying to encourage him to make more silly statements for my entertainment. If a creature professing sanity or the semblance thereof, enters TLS and proceeds to explain to an informed audience that GULC and UT are actually tied for 14, it's safe to assume he has more no-shit statements to make.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Oh my god everyone just shut the fuck up, will you?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
iamrobk wrote: Er, I don't think you got it haha.
Shhh, don't ruin it. I'm trying to encourage him to make more silly statements for my entertainment. If a creature professing sanity or the semblance thereof, enters TLS and proceeds to explain to an informed audience that GULC and UT are actually tied for 14, it's safe to assume he has more no-shit statements to make.
Was only talking about ranking :roll:

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 pm

justinp wrote: I don't understand the anti-UT trolling around here... it isn't any more regional than e.g. Boalt
who's trolling now? lmfao

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am

0LNewbie wrote:Even though relatively few will get biglaw, does starting salary in any field except medicine even come close to biglaw? From what I understood, not even engineers break six figures starting out. What do investment bankers make with bonus?
Petroleum engineering. If you can handle boredom, you'll start out around 110. Then again, an engineering degree makes law school a much better investment.

Also, I don't know if its been said, but very few biglaw people work 80/wk. It probably averages to 55/wk. Some weeks you work 80, some weeks you work less. It all depends on the climate

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am

chem wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Even though relatively few will get biglaw, does starting salary in any field except medicine even come close to biglaw? From what I understood, not even engineers break six figures starting out. What do investment bankers make with bonus?
Petroleum engineering. If you can handle boredom, you'll start out around 110. Then again, an engineering degree makes law school a much better investment.

Also, I don't know if its been said, but very few biglaw people work 80/wk. It probably averages to 55/wk. Some weeks you work 80, some weeks you work less. It all depends on the climate
If you don't get biglaw, you usually don't get a six fig starting salary.

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Post by SehMeSerrious » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 am

Also, some computer and electrical engineers can pull 6 figures starting. And it's a little more objective - of course your school/degree can get you better interviews without even trying, but some people who have objectively shown their talent even at small, unknown schools have gotten hired by big companies or by ambitious startups for $100,000+ starting. There's a little more objectivity in the STEM majors and major companies since anyone could make their own projects/research on the side (it's not like making law review or getting published where you simply can't do it if you don't get chosen) and well-funded startups can get you $100,000+ or close to it even with a bachelor's.

akronite08

New

Post by akronite08 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 pm

It was said earlier that it's an extremely personal decision that can't really be generalized - agreed. As a journalism student (no real job prospects outside of covering housefires and city council for 5 years) with no strings tying me down to the midwest, I feel like I'm T14 or bust. I wouldn't mind Biglaw for several years, and the lateral options are obviously much more generous with a T14 degree.

That being said, I'm looking at a few waitlists and not any money for the T14 schools to which I've applied. It's not the stats - it's the petty criminal record from when I was 18 (whoops). Now, I'm planning to volunteer and maybe work PR for a nonprofit oversees for few years, distance myself from my teen years, bump my LSAT a point or two and pursue T14 with monies.

When I first got into this, I never thought I'd ever turn down a full ride from a T30 or an offer from T14. Now, I see this is a monumental and deeply personal process that should be thought of in dollar signs and decades. To each his own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:16 am

IAFG wrote:
Errzii wrote:My advice is to pick law schools as if you were choosing sexual partners.

T14 = attractive virgin
T1 = less attractive person, but would still bang given the right conditions. Not 100% sure about sex history, use a condom.
TTT = ugly STD infected tranny, stay away from at all costs, unless you're into that sort of thing.

HTH.
I don't usually play feminist police but this was pretty offensive (not to mention unfunny and unhelpful).
After reading through 10+ pages, I still feel inclined to respond here:

I don't usually play anti-feminism police, but the original statement is entirely devoid of gender or sex. Even has "person" for the T1 description. In fact, if anything, it's kind of sexist that you read into it that the poster was referring to women here.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 am

yea women use condoms all the time

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:32 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote: i mean, the president only makes a shade over 250k.
the president of what country/company?

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:26 am

Everyone thinks that the worst schools that are worth sticker are the ones they can get into. When I had a 167 I thought T30s were worth sticker (and thought up justifications as to why they were). Now after retaking I think lower T14s are worth sticker. People who go to TTTs at sticker think that its worth it, people at T6's think T6 is worth it but not the rest of the T14, etc. I'm willing to bet that at the aggregate level, TLSers have stats to get into T14s (but not higher, although some individuals are able to obviously), hence the prevailing sentiment on TLS is that only the T14 is worth sticker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 am

westinghouse60 wrote:Everyone thinks that the worst schools that are worth sticker are the ones they can get into. When I had a 167 I thought T30s were worth sticker (and thought up justifications as to why they were). Now after retaking I think lower T14s are worth sticker. People who go to TTTs at sticker think that its worth it, people at T6's think T6 is worth it but not the rest of the T14, etc. I'm willing to bet that at the aggregate level, TLSers have stats to get into T14s (but not higher, although some individuals are able to obviously), hence the prevailing sentiment on TLS is that only the T14 is worth sticker.
There is a huge drop off in ability to get big law after T13. Over 70% (probably 80%) of people who put a good faith effort into getting a big law job (OCI + Mass mailing + hustlin') get it at even the lower T13. After the top 20 schools (Vandy, UCLA, USC, Tex, G-dub, Fordam) you are talking 20% or worse.

That's why TLS says T14 or bust.

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:Everyone thinks that the worst schools that are worth sticker are the ones they can get into. When I had a 167 I thought T30s were worth sticker (and thought up justifications as to why they were). Now after retaking I think lower T14s are worth sticker. People who go to TTTs at sticker think that its worth it, people at T6's think T6 is worth it but not the rest of the T14, etc. I'm willing to bet that at the aggregate level, TLSers have stats to get into T14s (but not higher, although some individuals are able to obviously), hence the prevailing sentiment on TLS is that only the T14 is worth sticker.
There is a huge drop off in ability to get big law after T13. Over 70% (probably 80%) of people who put a good faith effort into getting a big law job (OCI + Mass mailing + hustlin') get it at even the lower T13. After the top 20 schools (Vandy, UCLA, USC, Tex, G-dub, Fordam) you are talking 20% or worse.

That's why TLS says T14 or bust.
I totally understand this statement, but I think people really underestimate the effects of self selection into PI and Gov that hurts GTown's employment numbers. Even with this self selection out of biglaw, it still places 37% into the NLJ250. Maybe I'm being naive but this is how I see it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Well I'd argue that being a lawyer isn't worth sticker, so then there's that.

NJPitcher

Bronze

Post by NJPitcher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:39 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:yea women use condoms all the time
Oo you're right brah, only the dudes gain anything from condom use. Sorry for my idiocy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:47 pm

NJPitcher wrote:
Oo you're right brah, only the dudes gain anything from condom use. Sorry for my idiocy.
what's with people on this site changing arguments so as to not lose. just shut the fuck up and go to a different thread

Dale

New

Post by Dale » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 pm

When I first started this adventure in 2011, I read that in 2012 there would be 25,000 law firm jobs available (no data on Big Law versus traffic-ticket-attorney). 45,000 lawyers would be competing for those jobs (no specific data, assumed mostly law students).

Given those stats a T-10 offering 50% scholarship money frontloaded (but not counting living, books, etc.) seemed like a better idea than a near full ride on at a Tier 1 or a solid full ride with an upper Tier-2.

Went the T-10 route. I optimistically calculated that if the top 50% of T-10 students were hired, that would roughly account for roughly 4,000 of the supposed 25,000 openings. Of course, if only 10% of those openings are top shelf, it is going to be challenging, even for T-10.

In theory (not particularly mine), the higher up the T-10 ladder one goes the harder the competition (competing against higher GPA, LSAT students). Somehow, I cannot buy into the notion that someone with a median T-10 GPA would have an “at the top” GPA attending a school outside the top 30 (it might be true, but I have never seen any data on the subject). Given a choice between having a median T-10 GPA or “top of the class” at a Tier-1 school, which would you take?

Here's hoping that by 2014 there will be brighter news on the job front and that the number of law students will significantly decline (dream-on) If not, TLS better upgrade their servers to handle all the “can’t find work” threads, because you cannot cram 45,000 into the 25,000 circle.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 pm

NJPitcher wrote:
This guy has enough deductive reasoning to score a 173 on the LSAT?
(no offense intended)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Dale wrote:When I first started this adventure in 2011, I read that in 2012 there would be 25,000 law firm jobs available (no data on Big Law versus traffic-ticket-attorney). 45,000 lawyers would be competing for those jobs (no specific data, assumed mostly law students).

Given those stats a T-10 offering 50% scholarship money frontloaded (but not counting living, books, etc.) seemed like a better idea than a near full ride on at a Tier 1 or a solid full ride with an upper Tier-2.

Went the T-10 route. I optimistically calculated that if the top 50% of T-10 students were hired, that would roughly account for roughly 4,000 of the supposed 25,000 openings. Of course, if only 10% of those openings are top shelf, it is going to be challenging, even for T-10.

In theory (not particularly mine), the higher up the T-10 ladder one goes the harder the competition (competing against higher GPA, LSAT students). Somehow, I cannot buy into the notion that someone with a median T-10 GPA would have an “at the top” GPA attending a school outside the top 30 (it might be true, but I have never seen any data on the subject). Given a choice between having a median T-10 GPA or “top of the class” at a Tier-1 school, which would you take?

Here's hoping that by 2014 there will be brighter news on the job front and that the number of law students will significantly decline (dream-on) If not, TLS better upgrade their servers to handle all the “can’t find work” threads, because you cannot cram 45,000 into the 25,000 circle.
What's a T-10?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”