what is up with the "T14 or DON'T GO" sentiment??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tiago Splitter

Re: what is up with the "T14 or DON'T GO" sentiment??

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

dingbat wrote:Let's say you earn $150,000 per year.
According to NYC's payrate calculator (http://www.nyc.gov/html/opa/html/gettin ... ator.shtml) that means a monthly after-tax salary of $5737

Try again.

5737 is the bi-weekly gross pay. Monthly take home is a little over 8K.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:59 pm

johansantana21 wrote:You could probably save a lot by renting with a roomate. Just saying.

But I agree with you. For people going to school at sticker, biglaw won't suddenly make you rich.

First year lawyers will end up with a roommate, so they can have some spending money.

But don't forget that many will also have undergrad debt.
Point to note: Big Law hires mostly from T14. If you go to a lesser school on a scholly, youll probably end up at smaller firm, on a smaller salary.

Becoming a lawyer is not a guarantee of making big money - but then, nothing is.
I just happened to figure out what I like to do (professionally speaking) and a law degree is useful for what I plan on doing next.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Oh my god everyone just shut the fuck up, will you?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dingbat wrote:Let's say you earn $150,000 per year.
According to NYC's payrate calculator (http://www.nyc.gov/html/opa/html/gettin ... ator.shtml) that means a monthly after-tax salary of $5737

Try again.

5737 is the bi-weekly gross pay. Monthly take home is a little over 8K.

Sorry, I looked at the wrong calculator. I stand corrected and offer my profound apologies to everyone.
$150,000 per year in NYC equates to $7615 after tax.
I am deeply apologetic - on the above, there's $1900 left per month for entertainment and for saving for your future (let's call it $22k/yr after buying the suits and shirts you need for your job)

Now, let's say you want to live in a 2-bedroom apartment in the city one day (because, well, if you're working 10-14 hour days, you don't want to have a long commute).
Well, a decent apartment will cost a million bucks by the time you save up the money, so your downpayment will be $200,000 (you need 20% down to get a jumbo mortgage).
That'll take you 9 years (of course, your salary should go up during this time).

or, plan B, you don't want to dedicate your life to biglaw, but will only do so for 5-8 years.
Then, let's take the leftover cash and pay down student debt aggressively. You'll be paid off roughly around the same time you quit your job
Again, having had no social life or entertainment whatsoever.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Aptly named dingbat, please stop talking. You are being a fool.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:Aptly named dingbat, please stop talking. You are being a fool.

True. Where are you going to get a 2BR for only $1 million?

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:22 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Simplicity wrote:Really? To me, it looks like you said: "the QOL is even worse than law firm work" (btw, thanks for bolding that....I was having trouble seeing it before). Obviously the QOL is terrible at both places; I'm not disagreeing with you there. However, is the QOL at an IB in Dallas worse than the QOL at a big law firm in NYC? Doubtful. Hence, why I said it depends where you work. If you would have just said: "the QOL at IBs is terrible" - I would have totally agreed with you. But that's not what you said.

I'm going to assume reading comp. was your weakest section on the LSAT. Am I right?

You should change your name to straw king, because you're excellent at arguing against statements no one said (by the way I'm assuming that you know what a straw man argument is; admittedly that's a terrible assumption to make). Who the hell ever asked/stated that the QOL at a Dallas IBank is better or worse than biglaw in NYC? Are you even aware of which poster you're arguing against? You seem very confused. Let me spell it out for you. I said that the QOL of Ibanking is worse than that of working at a law firm. That is so commonly known as to be unnecessary for me to explain. You being anxious to "prove" how terrible working as a lawyer is because it is so "easy" to find other higher paying jobs that offer better hours, foolishly decided to use Ibanking to support that statement. After realizing how foolish that statement was you pulled this Dallas Ibanking compared to NYC biglaw statement out of your ass--which may not even be true in itself. At least you were smart enough to back track on your earlier erroneous statement.

You really do struggle with reading comprehension don't you? I tried to help you out by bolding the statement for you. Nonetheless I enjoy helping those in need; would you like me to give you online lessons? Just so you know my qualifications I missed one question on my entire Reading Comprehension section when I took the LSAT. I'd be happy to take time to teach a moron such as yourself.

LO fucking L

So mad. And so wrong. I'll make it easy for you:

-You: The QOL is even worse than law firm work
-Me: Not necessarily. It depends where you work.
-You: How does that contradict my statement that the QOL for Ibanking is terrible?
-Me: That's not what you originally said.
-You: Yes, it is.
-Me: No, you clearly said "the QOL is even worse than law firm work". Again, that's not necessarily true, it depends where you work (Dallas vs. NYC)
You: No way, bro. That's not what I really said. You're misrepresenting my statement....blah blah(more incoherent rambling)blah blah....I MISSED ONE ON READING COMP

tldr: You're a fucking idiot.
Last edited by Simplicity on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Aptly named dingbat, please stop talking. You are being a fool.

You're right. I was being a dick

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:Oh my god everyone just shut the fuck up, will you?

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 pm

The tone of this thread is funny considering it is populated by people who aspire to argue professionally in the future.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:48 pm

LawperaMan wrote:The tone of this thread is funny considering it is populated by people who aspire to argue professionally in the future.

Yeah, that's exactly what lawyers do.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LawperaMan wrote:The tone of this thread is funny considering it is populated by people who aspire to argue professionally in the future.

Yeah, that's exactly what lawyers do.

Somebody clearly hasn't seen Law and Order.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Oh people new to TLS.

There's no need to argue with this guy. Sure, he might be headed to Brooklyn Law School at the sticker price, but he's definitely going to finish 1L in the top-5% of his class, so what's the big deal?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:48 pm

joebruin2.0 wrote:I'll choke the next 0L who says they just know they want to be a lawyer. Guess what - you don't know s*%t. I'll break down what a lawyer is - he/she isn't a free thinking legal philosopher, helping to bring light to the darkest of corners - he/she is at best, a cog in the machine of the corporate world, finding ways they can hose over the other corporation, or dump toxic sludge behind some small town in Iowa. At worst, they are litigation creators simply to line their own pockets, doing nothing to help society, but working actively to destroy it.

And yes, there are constitutional law attorneys... 3 of them, and they aren't about to give up their cushy jobs anytime soon.

Save your time, money, and soul, just go get a job, or start building, or inventing something. Going to law school is for the a%#holes who can't do anything else (trust me, I should know). And the cosmic joke, is that now, it's just a ticket to a life doing a horrific job, and getting owned with a mountain of non-dischargeable debt - and that's for the lucky ones.

Sweet. I work for all three constitutional law attorneys in the whole world! In fact... I work for 7 of them! In the midwest!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
Let's say you earn $150,000 per year.

This can't be right. That's $68,844 per annum after taxes on a $150,000 gross. No creature professing sanity'd live in New York at this rate.

https://www.paycycle.com/external/busin ... lators.jsp

I did the calculation using the above site with your hypothetical salary and a deduction of 1 (for being single). It came up with $8,162 per month (net) which is approximately $97,944. I find that more believable but I stand corrected.

ETA: Never mind, scooped. I see you made the correction but your new figure of 7615 after tax while better than the last is still short. Every dollar counts, right?
Last edited by Blessedassurance on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Let's say you earn $150,000 per year.

This can't be right. That's $68,844 per annum after taxes on a $150,000 gross. No creature professing sanity'd live in New York at this rate.

https://www.paycycle.com/external/busin ... lators.jsp

I did the calculation using the above site with your hypothetical salary and a deduction of 1 (for being single). It came up with $8,162 per month (net) which is approximately $97,944. I find that more believable but I stand corrected.

We got it covered dude.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm

T13*

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Flash wrote:T13*

everybody loves to hate on georgetown...

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:

everybody loves to hate on georgetown UT...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:16 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Sweet. I work for all three constitutional law attorneys in the whole world! In fact... I work for 7 of them! In the midwest!

What do they do? When you say they are "constitutional law" attorneys, what does that mean?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:20 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
joebruin2.0 wrote:I'll choke the next 0L who says they just know they want to be a lawyer. Guess what - you don't know s*%t. I'll break down what a lawyer is - he/she isn't a free thinking legal philosopher, helping to bring light to the darkest of corners - he/she is at best, a cog in the machine of the corporate world, finding ways they can hose over the other corporation, or dump toxic sludge behind some small town in Iowa. At worst, they are litigation creators simply to line their own pockets, doing nothing to help society, but working actively to destroy it.

And yes, there are constitutional law attorneys... 3 of them, and they aren't about to give up their cushy jobs anytime soon.

Save your time, money, and soul, just go get a job, or start building, or inventing something. Going to law school is for the a%#holes who can't do anything else (trust me, I should know). And the cosmic joke, is that now, it's just a ticket to a life doing a horrific job, and getting owned with a mountain of non-dischargeable debt - and that's for the lucky ones.

Sweet. I work for all three constitutional law attorneys in the whole world! In fact... I work for 7 of them! In the midwest!

Yeah, TLS both gets it... and doesn't. Lots of state and local gov't lawyers practice constitutional law. The original quote was about how hard it is to argue constitutional issues in front of SCOTUS. Conlaw issues touch lots of areas of the law.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 am

IAFG wrote:Yeah, TLS both gets it... and doesn't. Lots of state and local gov't lawyers practice constitutional law. The original quote was about how hard it is to argue constitutional issues in front of SCOTUS. Conlaw issues touch lots of areas of the law.

Yeah, that's why I asked the question I did. I am curious about how broad she is using the term "constitutional lawyer," and also just personally curious what these lawyers do.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:22 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

T14 - (Georgetown and UT) = T13, since those schools are tied for 14th, effectively making it 15 schools in the T14.

Yeah, math.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

T14 - (Georgetown and UT) = T13, since those schools are tied for 14th, effectively making it 15 schools in the T14.

Yeah, math.

I don't get it.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 am

To the extent that the T14 is a relevant thing, which it isn't, UT is not a T14 school. There's nothing magical about being ranked #14 that makes you special.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”