How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
efeinste
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:32 pm

How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby efeinste » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm going to be apply for the entering class of 2013, and I'm having some trouble narrowing down my list of schools to apply to (currently 30, hoping to knock off a few, though I also want as much leverage as possible for negotiation). Does it make any sense applying to these schools if I want to end up practicing in either California or New York? I figure I'll get significantly more aid from them then I will from anything in California/New York/Boston.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Abysmally. Next?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:10 pm

mrloblaw wrote:Abysmally. Next?


+1. This isn't a good plan, OP. lawschooltransparency.com will be able to give you a good idea of where the graduates place.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Bad. Top 5-10% and you have a chance, but even then its definitely not guaranteed.

User avatar
tennisballs
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby tennisballs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Illinois undergrad has a very large DC network, but I'm not sure that transfers at all to law jobs.
Indiana would most likely be better for NY and Iowa best for nothing.

Illinois is definitely the greatest bet. But not a great bet.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 pm

tennisballs wrote:Indiana would most likely be better for NY

IU-B isn't good for well-paying employment in Indiana, let alone on the coasts, and especially not in NYC.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby mattviphky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Grizz wrote:
tennisballs wrote:Indiana would most likely be better for NY

IU-B isn't good for well-paying employment in Indiana, let alone on the coasts, and especially not in NYC.


?. i'm genuinely curious about this statement

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:34 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Grizz wrote:
tennisballs wrote:Indiana would most likely be better for NY

IU-B isn't good for well-paying employment in Indiana, let alone on the coasts, and especially not in NYC.


?. i'm genuinely curious about this statement

See low NLJ250 stats for one, the midwest T25 OCI thread, and all the other anecdotes on here about people with awesome class rankings not getting jobs in major markets and having a hell of a time generally.

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm

IUB is a shithole hth

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Grizz wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Grizz wrote:
tennisballs wrote:Indiana would most likely be better for NY

IU-B isn't good for well-paying employment in Indiana, let alone on the coasts, and especially not in NYC.


?. i'm genuinely curious about this statement

See low NLJ250 stats for one, the midwest T25 OCI thread, and all the other anecdotes on here about people with awesome class rankings not getting jobs in major markets and having a hell of a time generally.


I transferred out of IU. Job prospects are non-existent outside of the top 10%. Those within the top 10% are placed in Indy, and 1-5 individual students may make Chicago. NY is highly unlikely, as is DC.

IU is not a top 25, despite their ranking. Its peer schools place significantly better - its ranking proves nothing more than that money can buy you love from USNWR (see Maurer donation)

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 pm

cr

Non top-5% IUB students should drop out

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby Bumi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:33 pm

When I visited IUB's law school, I sat down for a talk with the director of the career office there to ask where Indiana students work after graduation. He explained that he went to Indiana undergrad, Indiana law school, and worked his whole life in Indiana, and thought that Indiana was an excellent place to have a career. It's a special way of life in Indiana, he said, and the students who come to law school there tend to agree. The proof is that they attract most of their students from outside the state of Indiana, but many of those choose to stay in Indiana to work after they graduate.

Make of that what you will. I can't speak to Iowa or Illinois.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Bumi wrote:When I visited IUB's law school, I sat down for a talk with the director of the career office there to ask where Indiana students work after graduation. He explained that he went to Indiana undergrad, Indiana law school, and worked his whole life in Indiana, and thought that Indiana was an excellent place to have a career. It's a special way of life in Indiana, he said, and the students who come to law school there tend to agree. The proof is that they attract most of their students from outside the state of Indiana, but many of those choose to stay in Indiana to work after they graduate.

Make of that what you will. I can't speak to Iowa or Illinois.

LOL @ "choose to stay"

fo sho
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 am

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby fo sho » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:58 pm

LOL @ "choose to stay"[/quote]

Maybe the out of staters develop Stockholm Syndrome

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How do Illinois/Iowa/Indiana place on the coasts?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Bumi wrote:He explained that he went to Indiana undergrad, Indiana law school, and worked his whole life in Indiana, and thought that Indiana was an excellent place to have a career. It's a special way of life in Indiana, he said, and the students who come to law school there tend to agree.
I'm totally imagining this being said in the voice of a tent revival preacher. Yikes.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], GruffGadfly and 7 guests