Florida International Univ College of Law???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jcm043

Florida International Univ College of Law???

Postby jcm043 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I know this is a TTTT school, I'm fine with that. I am looking to stay in South Florida if I go to FIU. I understand this is a newer school. How is the school? Anyone Law alum's have any input??

TIA.

LDW98

Re: Florida International Univ College of Law???

Postby LDW98 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm not an FIU Alum, however I do live in Miami and I come from a long line of locally practicing attorneys. While people on this forum will surely tell you otherwise, FIU is pretty well respected in the South Florida legal market. Sure, UM has a better network in Miami - but FIU has a very strong faculty, high FL bar passage rates (higher than UMiami last I checked- Feb 2011).

It's a new school, but it's on the rise. Definitely a good investment for the price.

(I just wanted to put in my .02 before some clown hops in here telling you that you'll be a Miami-Dade Transit Bus Driver if you go to law school at FIU)

jcm043

Re: Florida International Univ College of Law???

Postby jcm043 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:57 pm

LDW98 wrote:I'm not an FIU Alum, however I do live in Miami and I come from a long line of locally practicing attorneys. While people on this forum will surely tell you otherwise, FIU is pretty well respected in the South Florida legal market. Sure, UM has a better network in Miami - but FIU has a very strong faculty, high FL bar passage rates (higher than UMiami last I checked- Feb 2011).

It's a new school, but it's on the rise. Definitely a good investment for the price.

(I just wanted to put in my .02 before some clown hops in here telling you that you'll be a Miami-Dade Transit Bus Driver if you go to law school at FIU)

Thanks for the info. As stated, I know I'll never be a Big Law Partner. I do know that I want to practice criminal defense and I really enjoy the West Palm Beach area. I feel going to FIU will better my chances of internships,externships & networking in WPB. (I'm from Louisiana.) Plus, in Louisiana law schools teach our Civil Code, vs learning common law like FL practices.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”