IP Prospects

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Asset
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

IP Prospects

Postby Asset » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 am

I plan on applying in the next cycle, and so far I have a 3.86 in electrical engineering and got a 163 on the LSAT. I was practicing around 167 after limited prep, but one thing led to the other on test day and I got a 163. When I was looking at LSN and the predictor site, though, it looks like I still have a pretty good shot at T25 schools. I want to go to into Patent law, and am primarily concerned with getting a job in a big city on the coasts or in Chicago... either with a law firm or in house, as long as it pays well. So when I look at these schools and see smaller placement to law firms compared to the T14, is this really applicable to me? For example even looking at Hastings, which isn't even T25, it looks like I have a very good shot at a great patent law position. So while these schools might not be placing as many general students in law firms, the majority of their IP students are getting these positions. Is this correct?

Finally, what about Santa Clara University? I don't think I would qualify for a need based scholarship, but would it be possible to get a lot of money from them through merit scholarships? Because it looks like the prospects for their IP students are also very strong.

I tried finding answers to the above, but was unable to find them. Please let me know if there is somewhere I should be looking. Thanks, your help is very much appreciated!
Last edited by Asset on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby Curious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:12 am

Dont waste that awesome GPA, retake, get a 172+, go to Stanford.

Asset
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

Re: IP Prospects

Postby Asset » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:23 am

Curious1 wrote:Dont waste that awesome GPA, retake, get a 172+, go to Stanford.



I had a feeling that would be the response on TLS, and I think it's the right one. Better get prepping... but regardless, would someone please answer my other questions? I am truly curious, and chances are there are others out there that would also find the information useful.

Asset
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

Re: IP Prospects

Postby Asset » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm

bump... any insight on T25 vs T10 schools for patent law??

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby chem » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Asset wrote:bump... any insight on T25 vs T10 schools for patent law??


+1 for interest

460758215
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:20 am

Re: IP Prospects

Postby 460758215 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 am

ud better get a higher lsat scores
the major of IP in Stanford is no.1?

BigJohnso
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby BigJohnso » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am

IP specialty rankings do not matter. Retake LSAT, blanket T14, and go to the best school possible.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby sky7 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

BigJohnso wrote:IP specialty rankings do not matter. Retake LSAT, blanket T14, and go to the best school possible.


False.

As a shameless GW student, GW IP places ridiculously well all over the country. If it wasn't for patent law ITE, GW would have pretty poor employment statistics.

As most people will tell you, specialty rankings do not matter, except for patent.

OP, your path to success looks something like this (this is what the majority of IP students at GW do):

1. Take your awesome EE credentials and become a technical advisor at a law firm - think Fish, Foley, or Finnigan. Then sit for the patent bar and become an agent.
2. Have the firm pay for law school at GW - all while you are currently making $$$ at the firm as an agent. Not a bad financial deal.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Edit: There is also a chunk of IP students that work as examiners at the PTO while going to law school, which is one of the best deals going, and makes you really attractive to firms post graduation (assuming you don't stay at the PTO for too long).

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby chem » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 pm

sky7 wrote:
BigJohnso wrote:IP specialty rankings do not matter. Retake LSAT, blanket T14, and go to the best school possible.


False.

As a shameless GW student, GW IP places ridiculously well all over the country. If it wasn't for patent law ITE, GW would have pretty poor employment statistics.

As most people will tell you, specialty rankings do not matter, except for patent.

OP, your path to success looks something like this (this is what the majority of IP students at GW do):

1. Take your awesome EE credentials and become a technical advisor at a law firm - think Fish, Foley, or Finnigan. Then sit for the patent bar and become an agent.
2. Have the firm pay for law school at GW - all while you are currently making $$$ at the firm as an agent. Not a bad financial deal.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Edit: There is also a chunk of IP students that work as examiners at the PTO while going to law school, which is one of the best deals going, and makes you really attractive to firms post graduation (assuming you don't stay at the PTO for too long).


Is this a given for those who pass the patent bar, or is it competitive? Does GW help with these appointments or do students do it on their own? What is the procedure and timeline for doing this? If its fairly standard, GW will be a very serious consideration. You can post the answer or PM, but that sounds like a ridiculously good deal, and a no brainer

Asset
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am

Re: IP Prospects

Postby Asset » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm

chem wrote:
Is this a given for those who pass the patent bar, or is it competitive? Does GW help with these appointments or do students do it on their own? What is the procedure and timeline for doing this? If its fairly standard, GW will be a very serious consideration. You can post the answer or PM, but that sounds like a ridiculously good deal, and a no brainer


+1 for interest, please don't just PM! Your post was great!

Also, any advice for finding a firm coming out of undergrad?

LockBox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby LockBox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm

This is also relevant to my interests

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby sky7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 am

Basically, just mass mail all the patent firms (including boutiques) in the DC area, expressing interest in being a technical advisor (that's what you do before you have passed the patent bar), and briefly outline your core competencies. If you can pass the patent bar and are eligible to be a patent agent, it will be a big plus.

If you have decent credentials, you'll likely get a few bites (note: I did not have very good credentials). It's definitely the type of thing I'd start doing now if you plan to start in the fall. That said, it's not clear to me (because I didn't go this route) how long you'd have to be at a firm before they start paying for law school - at the very least, I'd imagine they'd pick up your last two years if you started at the same time as you started law school, but it could be sooner. I imagine it's a firm specific determination.

I didn't realize what a deal patent law was until my 3rd year of law school (I'm an evening student), as I had been working in the IT industry and didn't want to leave it. So between my 3L and 4L years, I passed the patent bar (without even taking any law school patent classes), and by this December, I had multiple offers from top patent prosecution boutiques to choose from. I don't regret going the route I did, but knowing so many people who made $$$ and had law school paid for, it certainly makes me wish I knew then what I know now!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:34 pm

sky7 wrote:
BigJohnso wrote:IP specialty rankings do not matter. Retake LSAT, blanket T14, and go to the best school possible.


False.

As a shameless GW student, GW IP places ridiculously well all over the country. If it wasn't for patent law ITE, GW would have pretty poor employment statistics.

As most people will tell you, specialty rankings do not matter, except for patent.

OP, your path to success looks something like this (this is what the majority of IP students at GW do):

1. Take your awesome EE credentials and become a technical advisor at a law firm - think Fish, Foley, or Finnigan. Then sit for the patent bar and become an agent.
2. Have the firm pay for law school at GW - all while you are currently making $$$ at the firm as an agent. Not a bad financial deal.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Edit: There is also a chunk of IP students that work as examiners at the PTO while going to law school, which is one of the best deals going, and makes you really attractive to firms post graduation (assuming you don't stay at the PTO for too long).


This is true, but I would like to add a couple of points.

1. Go to a T14 and you may have virtual no competition at your school. Since GW is a destination school for patent forks, competition may be a little bit stiff (relatively). With a high GPA in EE in a T14, law school grades are not as important because there will be no need to differentiate you from your peers at your law school.

2. Not every EE/CS person wants to do patent prosecution. If you want to work in lit and/or wants to work in non-boutique, I think T14 would give you a much better shot at the full service biglaw firms.

This is not to say that going to GW is a bad idea at all, but going to a T14 where you are the one of the only EE guy will probably land you enough interviews 1L winter before grades come out. It could be the same at GW, I don't know, but I just know it's really nice at a T14.

joeyc328
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby joeyc328 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:08 pm

With most every school in the Nation with an EE you will probably one of only a handful of student with a science degree. However, if you go to a school like GW you might be one of 20 people with a science degree. There is much more competition at a school like GW, but if firms are looking for people in IP they know where to look.

I am a physics major graduating in May from undergrad and this what I have been told.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: IP Prospects

Postby sky7 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:This is true, but I would like to add a couple of points.

1. Go to a T14 and you may have virtual no competition at your school. Since GW is a destination school for patent forks, competition may be a little bit stiff (relatively). With a high GPA in EE in a T14, law school grades are not as important because there will be no need to differentiate you from your peers at your law school.

2. Not every EE/CS person wants to do patent prosecution. If you want to work in lit and/or wants to work in non-boutique, I think T14 would give you a much better shot at the full service biglaw firms.

This is not to say that going to GW is a bad idea at all, but going to a T14 where you are the one of the only EE guy will probably land you enough interviews 1L winter before grades come out. It could be the same at GW, I don't know, but I just know it's really nice at a T14.


I get what you're saying, but I don't think that there is a competition issue. I think that having a larger IP network can only help you, especially when that network is made of current students. For example, I had a several interviews with leading patent firms, and I knew a classmate who was already working there (again, most of us are evening students). They all gave me the low down on how everything worked, and who I was interviewing with, and what they liked. Isn't that helpful? You don't get that if there is a small IP contingency at your school.

Now, for IP litigation, yeah, T14 or bust.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thriller1122 and 6 guests