Wake forest, practicing

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
matt690

Wake forest, practicing

Postby matt690 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm debating whether or not to apply to and possibly attend wake forest. I know they sometimes consider reverse splitters. Would it be ok to attend a school like this (a good one) in NC, if I'm interested in practicing in NY or Florida (opposed to a Buffalo, Rutgers, or something a little higher ranked but closer to the area)?

Thanks.

Jah'rakal

Re: Wake forest, practicing

Postby Jah'rakal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 pm

u mean a little lower ranked? i think the general wisdom of this board is to attend a school in the local area if you are not going to attend t-14, therefore, rutgers if u want nj , florida schools if u want florida

matt690

Postby matt690 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Since a school like Wake Forest (if I can get it) has such a better reputation than a Rutgers or Buffalo (not a matter of a couple ranking points, but 40 or 50), would the school ranking and reputation compensate for the regional difference (and that reputation could lead to a job in NY and Florida)? Thanks.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:34 pm

matt690 wrote:Since a school like Wake Forest (if I can get it) has such a better reputation than a Rutgers or Buffalo (not a matter of a couple ranking points, but 40 or 50), would the school ranking and reputation compensate for the regional difference (and that reputation could lead to a job in NY and Florida)? Thanks.

Wake Forest doesn't have a very strong national draw and in terms of the two markets you want to go to, you have better options.

NY probably requires the least local ties out of the big markets, but you'd still be better off trying to get into Fordham (you'll need a higher LSAT than WFU, but it's within the same range). But I'd caution that betting on Fordham is still very risky in this economy, but with a significant scholarship it could be worthwhile if you want to work in the area.

Similarly, if you want to work in Florida, you'll probably be much better off going to UF. I don't know much about WF's placement in Florida, but almost assuredly the career office probably has very to little no focus on sending graduates there.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Attending Wake Forest with no desire to practice in North Caroline seems like you are setting yourself up for failure.
From wake forest's website on where graduates from 2005-2009 ended up:
NY: 36
Florida: 13
North Carolina: 347

( http://career.law.wfu.edu/stats/ )

Do you have significant scholarships to the other places? That may be your best option.*

*Well, really what is most likely your best option is to retake. Just an extra 10 points could do wonders for the schools you would become competitive at and your career options would be so much better. But, I'm sure you'll get defensive at me trying to provide this unsolicited advice.

Niners4Life

Postby Niners4Life » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Wake probably wouldn't place well in those two regions unless you were in the top 5-10% of your class, and even that might be pushing it. Your best bet is to go to a school in the same region you want to practice in. Without knowing your numbers, if you want to practice in Florida you should apply to UF, FSU, or TheU.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:48 pm

matt690 wrote:I'm debating whether or not to apply to and possibly attend wake forest. I know they sometimes consider reverse splitters. Would it be ok to attend a school like this (a good one) in NC, if I'm interested in practicing in NY or Florida (opposed to a Buffalo, Rutgers, or something a little higher ranked but closer to the area)?

Thanks.

You haven't even applied and been accepted yet. Strange convo to have when WF isnt even an option yet. That being said, WF can get you to either market with ties or strong grades, but you will have to do all the work yourself. I don't think any NY or FL firms came to OCI

It makes more sense to attend a school in the state you want to practice in.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 pm

You've got almost no shot at NY with Wake. The admissions office tells you as much. They like people who self-select for the SE region as well so they are less likely to accept you if they think you aren't likely to stick around the region.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”