Cardozo w/full scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abirdwell

Cardozo w/full scholarship?

Postby abirdwell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:41 am

Hi there,

I'm an older student (28) and just got admitted to Cardozo with a full scholarship. I'm also in at both Duke and NYU, but no word on money yet. I applied for the Ambryce and the Root-Tilden at NYU, but both are probably long shots.

There's no question of me going to any school where I don't get $ - I'm married with one child and we want more. My question is: if Cardozo is the best offer I receive, should I go? I really love the school, but I don't want to go if I'm not going to be able to get a job. I imagine it'll be somewhat more challenging for me anyway to enter the job market at 32, with kids. I think I'd really love to be a lawyer and would be a good one - but I'm not interested in getting a degree I can't use...

Amanda

No13baby

Re: Cardozo w/full scholarship?

Postby No13baby » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Does the scholarship come with any stipulations?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Amanda -

Congratulations on all of the great offers! First of all, your age should not present a significant obstacle to getting a legal job. I am 39 with 3 kids, and got one, most of my friends of the same age (both men and women) are employed with jobs they are happy with.

Keep in mind that we are talking about completely different leagues of schools here. NYU and Duke will both open up doors that are completely closed to all but the top 5 or so students at Cardozo. Of course, that comes with some risk if you can't get a high paying job straight away (risk is somewhat mitigated by LRAP programs and Income Based Repayment).

The full ride (assuming no GPA stipulations) will allow you to take on lower paying legal jobs. I think if your only goal is to become a good lawyer, you should go that route. I think you could be very happy. If you are hoping to make a really good living for your family (with the trade off of long hours), you may consider one of the higher ranked schools.

Try to get money from the "better" schools and keep your debt managable.

Good luck.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:34 pm

abirdwell wrote:Hi there,

I'm an older student (28) and just got admitted to Cardozo with a full scholarship. I'm also in at both Duke and NYU, but no word on money yet. I applied for the Ambryce and the Root-Tilden at NYU, but both are probably long shots.

There's no question of me going to any school where I don't get $ - I'm married with one child and we want more. My question is: if Cardozo is the best offer I receive, should I go? I really love the school, but I don't want to go if I'm not going to be able to get a job. I imagine it'll be somewhat more challenging for me anyway to enter the job market at 32, with kids. I think I'd really love to be a lawyer and would be a good one - but I'm not interested in getting a degree I can't use...

Amanda

The differences between Duke / NYU and Cardozo is so insanely HUGE that I would never go to Cardozo in your situation

If you got into Duke / NYU you should be able to get decent scholly $ at schools way about Cardozo (NU, Texas, Cornell, GT), etc..

Also don't be afraid to negotiate for scholly $

I understand your reasoning, but your job prospects between the schools you can get into and schools like Cardozo are greatly different, and you should be able to get a lot of $ from better schools

Also, IIRC Cardozo has decently high stipulations on their schollys... so although you probably should meet them, there's a chance you won't. Then you'll be left paying sticker at Cardozo...

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:36 pm

I just looked at your posts...

You have a 173 / 3.7. Don't go to Cardozo, at all... ever

Your numbers are way too good

28 with work experience I'm assuming? Northwestern will give you $$$$ among others (Duke should)

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:39 pm

I understand the situation, I still think NYU is the best option here. Chances are you'll be able to get a job that pays off that debt in 5-10 years, maybe less if you have a spouse who works. Despite your age, you'll still be debt free again by 40 if you make a good effort.

And if you aren't interested in firms/want to do public interest then the debt prob won't matter anyway. NYU does great in placing into PI, and you'll get the debt forgiven in 10 years.

I can't really find any logic for choosing Cardozo in this scenario, despite the age and kids.

abirdwell

Postby abirdwell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi there,

No13baby - I'm not sure about stipulations yet, as I got a call but am still waiting on the award letter.

KMaine - thanks for your encouragement. My heart's not set on a big law firm and I'm not wanting to borrow money that I'd need a biglaw salary to pay back, so if I dont get money from the better schools, I'm looking at either accepting Cardozo or finding another path. I feel like I'd be happy at a smaller firm or, ideally, doing public interest law. My goal is to be free to take a job that pays less but that needs to be done.

If you don't mind my asking - where did you go?

Three Rivers, thanks for your response. I'm kind of held back by my husband's work, which is frustrating - I applied to Duke and Penn because I like them both well enough that if either offers me a decent package, I'm willing to make a case for him trying to find work outside of NYC. Otherwise, though, I'm kind of limited to NYC schools. Do you have thoughts on Fordham vrs NYU (is it as much of a no-brainier?) I got in there as well and am waiting to hea back about money...

NYC, Thanks. My fear is if I come out of NYU and can't find a job at all, or find one in the $45,000 range... (though I really hope to do a little better than that...) that doesn't meet the criteria for LRAP. But that may be just fear and no real logic... My husband already has huge student loan debt on which he defaulted before we met, so it's importent to me to be conservative about borrowing, credit, etc.

Thanks again for your responses,

Amanda

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 pm

abirdwell wrote:NYC, Thanks. My fear is if I come out of NYU and can't find a job at all, or find one in the $45,000 range... (though I really hope to do a little better than that...) that doesn't meet the criteria for LRAP. But that may be just fear and no real logic... My husband already has huge student loan debt on which he defaulted before we met, so it's importent to me to be conservative about borrowing, credit, etc.

IBR is different from LRAP, you'll always qualify for it, even if it isn't a legal job at all. If it's in the public sector your debt is forgiven after 10 years, private sector and it's forgiven after 20-25 (was 25 but it's changing to 20 at some point, not sure when that happens).

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Lol, you probably won't come out of NYU with no job.

At the very least, you should apply to other T14s and start negotiating your scholarships. It works. If you decide to go to Cardozo, you have bad judgment.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Sure, I go to Cornell. They gave me a really nice financial aid package, which was really important to me. If I were you, in addition to negotiating for scholarships, I would check into NYU's loan repayment plan for public interest. It may make the tuition manageable. Like some other posters said, hopefully some other, higher ranked schools will come through with some cash (it is still early in the game for this). Not sure where yo.u applied, but you could probably get money from most of the lower t-14. I found this to be a good option. I did not have NYU on the table, but did have Michigan and passed it up for more money. I am not sure what I would do if I were you and had NYU. I have older kids and didn'twant to live in NYC. But even in your situation, I would probably choose a lower t-14 with money over NYU unless you find their LRAP to your liking. But that is more personal preference than anything. I do think a t-14 helps with your pedigree if you are an older student. That said, I don't consider you an older student :D .

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:01 pm

I apologzie for me stating all these random cities to go to... I was just thinking what I would do (but I'm fresh out of UG with no real responsibilities), obviously you're in a much different situation

Fordham is > Cardozo and I'd recommend it for some, but IDK your numbers are so impressive (don't let all of TLS fool you, in the real world they are amazing). I guess I could see justification at going to Fordham under full ride if you are tied to NYC

If you don't get enough $ at NYU... I'd try negotiating with them with some other scholly offers. Like others are saying, you'd probably get nice ones at lower T14.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:46 pm

I had very similar numbers to you and got some money from NYU (about 1/3 tuition) and only very slightly more from Fordham. This was a couple of years ago so perhaps things have changed. But I would expect you're in line to get something from NYU, and I wouldn't take Fordham over NYU unless they give you close to a full ride.

What kind of job do you see yourself doing? You say your "heart's not set on a big law firm," but you should realize that realistically, in this economy that route will be all but closed to you at Cardozo, and wide open at NYU. I have some friends at Cardozo and I think the gulf between the two in employment prospects is hard to overstate.

Also, take heart, you are really not an old law school applicant. Married with a kid certainly means you're in a different place in your life from most 1Ls, and might be less inclined to give yourself over to a law firm as a result, but I don't think your age in itself should harm your job prospects at all.

mom2law

Postby mom2law » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:33 pm

No13baby - I'm not sure about stipulations yet, as I got a call but am still waiting on the award letter.

KMaine - thanks for your encouragement. My heart's not set on a big law firm and I'm not wanting to borrow money that I'd need a biglaw salary to pay back, so if I dont get money from the better schools, I'm looking at either accepting Cardozo or finding another path. I feel like I'd be happy at a smaller firm or, ideally, doing public interest law. My goal is to be free to take a job that pays less but that needs to be done.

Three Rivers, thanks for your response. I'm kind of held back by my husband's work, which is frustrating - I applied to Duke and Penn because I like them both well enough that if either offers me a decent package, I'm willing to make a case for him trying to find work outside of NYC. Otherwise, though, I'm kind of limited to NYC schools. Do you have thoughts on Fordham vrs NYU (is it as much of a no-brainier?) I got in there as well and am waiting to hea back about money...

NYC, Thanks. My fear is if I come out of NYU and can't find a job at all, or find one in the $45,000 range... (though I really hope to do a little better than that...) that doesn't meet the criteria for LRAP. But that may be just fear and no real logic... My husband already has huge student loan debt on which he defaulted before we met, so it's importent to me to be conservative about borrowing, credit, etc.

Amanda

Given your husband's debt/default, getting a full ride makes a huge difference for your family--those who are encouraging more debt are totally irresponsible. It's not the same as if you were single; it's amazing how few people get that. No one I know really believes IBR will be around in 8-10 years when so many of the 1st loans will be scheduled to be forgiven...it will go the way of promised union benefits and everything else...wait 'til the government realizes how much subsidy it's committed to...and it's not a graduated credit. One day short of 10 yrs, if the program ends, you're SOL. I know people in similar circumstances who've taken the full ride (with no academic stips) from Cardozo and are happy with their choice.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:04 am

double post
Last edited by ThreeRivers on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:04 am

mom2law wrote:

Amanda

Given your husband's debt/default, getting a full ride makes a huge difference for your family--those who are encouraging more debt are totally irresponsible. It's not the same as if you were single; it's amazing how few people get that. No one I know really believes IBR will be around in 8-10 years when so many of the 1st loans will be scheduled to be forgiven...it will go the way of promised union benefits and everything else...wait 'til the government realizes how much subsidy it's committed to...and it's not a graduated credit. One day short of 10 yrs, if the program ends, you're SOL. I know people in similar circumstances who've taken the full ride (with no academic stips) from Cardozo and are happy with their choice.

A key would be no academic stips... Like I said Fordham for close to full schooly- yes. I just don't know about Cardozo, but then again you bring up a very fair point in that I really can't relate to situations involving having a family

I know its a risk, but just with NYU odds are you'll end up having a job you desire (big law or PI), doesn't matter.... Cardozo has less risks I guess but you may end up doing something miserable / for not much $

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
mom2law wrote:

Amanda

A key would be no academic stips... Like I said Fordham for close to full schooly- yes. I just don't know about Cardozo, but then again you bring up a very fair point in that I really can't relate to situations involving having a family

I know its a risk, but just with NYU odds are you'll end up having a job you desire (big law or PI), doesn't matter.... Cardozo has less risks I guess but you may end up doing something miserable / for not much $

Her answer has nothing to do with OP's situation, she's jut going on with her libertarian-esque schtick, that all risk and debt is bad, and you should just go to the worst school as long as you go for cheap, since you'll be able to bust your ass and make it.

charliep

Postby charliep » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:38 am

mom2law wrote:

Amanda

who do you know?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”