IP program with 177/3.3 in chemistry specialization

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Genthree

IP program with 177/3.3 in chemistry specialization

Postby Genthree » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm leaning towards GWU since Boalt is so strict on GPA. Are there any other schools I should be seriously looking at for IP?

bhan87

Re: IP program with 177/3.3 in chemistry specialization

Postby bhan87 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm

You should still blanket the T14 as you still stand a decent chance at many, except HYS, B, and D. You should still apply to B because you want to go into IP.

Don't take specialty rankings too seriously. Even if GW's program is ranked higher than T14 schools, your job prospects in IP will still be better coming out of a T14 than GW. Absent a major scholarship offer from GW, you'd still be better off choosing a T14 and with a major scholarship offer, it's still a close call.

sgoingIP

Postby sgoingIP » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:54 pm

If you know you want to do patent prosecution - GW is going to be strong option due to its location in DC near the USPTO. While I agree the job ops on a whole are better at T14, patent prosecution jobs (at small to some large firms) seem available in the DC area for those with the grades (assuming you do well), the background and patent reg #, and availability during the semester.

However, if you even may want litigation or definitely want big law, I would agree to go as high as you can. Those jobs seem to like the IP background, but you are going to get the most opportunity in the T14 schools.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 pm

from current GW IP 3L - u should blanket T14, apply to GW as safety, but i would choose GW with $$$ over UVA, duke, gtown.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”