University of Wyoming-- opinion?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
livelovelaugh49

University of Wyoming-- opinion?

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:16 am

What have people heard about the University of Wyoming Law program? I've looked it over online obviously, but just wanted to get others opinions on it.

kalvano

Re: University of Wyoming-- opinion?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:35 am

Do you want to work in Wyoming?

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:02 am

Gerry Spence went there, bro.

brobra

Postby brobra » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm also interested in UW. I attended HS in the state, but attended college in Michigan and now work in LA.

I guess I'm looking for information / data on where UW grads typically end up. Wyoming is great state, however there is significant variance in the livability of small towns that, at first glance, may seem quite similar (i.e., in terms of population, economics, demographics, etc.)

Also, does anybody have info on UW grads finding work in CO? I understand CU and DU have a significant advantage in the state but I'm wondering how easy it would be for someone in, say, the top 10% of UW to land a decent job in Denver.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:23 pm

flcath wrote:Gerry Spence went there, bro.

:lol: Love that someone put this.
Last edited by skers on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks for the responses-- I'm not exactly sure where I want to end up practicing, I guess in that respect I am open minded. I appreciate the information on the town though. Coming from a warm state that would be quite a shocker (yes I knew it was cold, but you saying that is it even colder than other spots). It would be interesting to see stats of how many people for Wyoming Law find jobs in Colorado though. Thanks everyone though!!

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:Thanks for the responses-- I'm not exactly sure where I want to end up practicing, I guess in that respect I am open minded. I appreciate the information on the town though. Coming from a warm state that would be quite a shocker (yes I knew it was cold, but you saying that is it even colder than other spots). It would be interesting to see stats of how many people for Wyoming Law find jobs in Colorado though. Thanks everyone though!!

Last edited by skers on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:03 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:Thanks for the responses-- I'm not exactly sure where I want to end up practicing, I guess in that respect I am open minded. I appreciate the information on the town though. Coming from a warm state that would be quite a shocker (yes I knew it was cold, but you saying that is it even colder than other spots). It would be interesting to see stats of how many people for Wyoming Law find jobs in Colorado though. Thanks everyone though!!

We had a ten day stretch last year with temperatures (w/ windchill) around 60 below. It froze car batteries.

Wow... that is beyond miserable. Did they cancel classes?

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:20 pm

livelovelaugh49 wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

We had a ten day stretch last year with temperatures (w/ windchill) around 60 below. It froze car batteries.

Nope.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:00 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
livelovelaugh49 wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

Nope.

Well, I hope you had a one good jacket!

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Last edited by skers on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:32 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Word. Let me know if you have any other questions about UW or Laramie.

I definitely will because I still plan on applying there, so if I get in I may have some follow up questions as I try to narrow down my choices! Thanks!

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:41 pm

If U. Wyoming is the sort of place that attracts you, take a look at U. Montana. Missoula is a wonderful place if you are outdoors oriented.

livelovelaugh49

Postby livelovelaugh49 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:11 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:If U. Wyoming is the sort of place that attracts you, take a look at U. Montana. Missoula is a wonderful place if you are outdoors oriented.

Ya, I'm definitely looking there too... not only does the location sound appealing, but the law school seems pretty decent too. Thanks for the advice!!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 pm

I go to CU and I can tell you that it is really the third law school in Colorado, but it is third in line. Don't go thinking you will be in the top 10%. Frankly, even if you were which you wont you wouldn't get a job in CO. Wyoming grads get jobs in CO because they know someone, not because of their grades. Don't go to Wyoming thinking you are going to network and begin to know someone who will get you a job in CO. Very unlikely.

Go to Wyoming if you want to work in Wyoming. I'm sure its a fine school for Wyoming- none better I'd imagine. With no biglaw in the state, its all small law and no one cares about the ivey leauge there.

I've never been to Laramie, but Cheyenne really really sucks. If you want CO retake and go to DU. Good luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”