Which School for 158 LSAT and 3.17 GPA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
enraged_thinker

New

Which School for 158 LSAT and 3.17 GPA

Post by enraged_thinker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey, I just got my LSAT and I'm looking at additional schools to apply to. I'm considering trying to get into somewhere like West Virginia or Seattle University and then attempt to transfer to Georgetown. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cactuarX3

Silver

Re: Which School for 158 LSAT and 3.17 GPA

Post by cactuarX3 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm

enraged_thinker wrote:Hey, I just got my LSAT and I'm looking at additional schools to apply to. I'm considering trying to get into somewhere like West Virginia or Seattle University and then attempt to transfer to Georgetown. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
From what I understand it's pretty rare to transfer from a T2 to a T14 even if you're able to get STELLAR grades (i.e. top 10 not top 10% of your class), but let me just say that I have no hard numbers to back that up and it's all based on stuff I've read on TLS.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Let me guess, you plan on being one of the top 5% or so in your class and using that as a basis to transfer? What a fantastic plan! It only has a 95% chance of failure.

enraged_thinker

New

Post by enraged_thinker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:33 pm

kalvano wrote:Let me guess, you plan on being one of the top 5% or so in your class and using that as a basis to transfer? What a fantastic plan! It only has a 95% chance of failure.
I plan on trying. My GPA is not actually indicative of my ability. I slacked a lot in college but I've managed to get my priorities straightened out. Now that I've started applying myself I'm more of a 3.8 student (It would be higher but Business Stats is just plain hard).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:11 am

Don't go to a school you would not want to graduate from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enraged_thinker

New

Post by enraged_thinker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 am

kalvano wrote:Don't go to a school you would not want to graduate from.
Haha, thanks. No plans for Cooley or Thomas Jefferson from me; even a 0L should know to avoid those schools.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:53 am

I never mentioned those schools. All I'm saying is you have a 3.17 and a 158. I know plenty of people with far better numbers who are well into the bottom half of the class.

Don't go to West Virginia or Seattle unless you'd be happy graduating from there. Transferring is difficult even under the best of circumstances, and while it's cliched to say it, 90% of the class is not in the top 10%, which is vital for transferring. Think about that...from the very outset, before any other consideration at all, you have a 90% chance of failure. Would you fly in a plane that has a 90% chance of crashing?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 am

kalvano wrote:Would you fly in a plane that has a 90% chance of crashing?
I'm a special snowflake, so yeah, why not.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:11 am

enraged_thinker wrote:
kalvano wrote:Let me guess, you plan on being one of the top 5% or so in your class and using that as a basis to transfer? What a fantastic plan! It only has a 95% chance of failure.
I plan on trying. My GPA is not actually indicative of my ability. I slacked a lot in college but I've managed to get my priorities straightened out. Now that I've started applying myself I'm more of a 3.8 student (It would be higher but Business Stats is just plain hard).
Apply yourself for three months and get a good LSAT score, and then you can go to Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

American_in_China

Bronze

Post by American_in_China » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:19 am

I really don't understand all the transfer junkies who haven't taken the lsat multiple times; it's FARRRRR easier to score high on the LSAT than to do well at law school. And the amount of money a few more points on the LSAT can get you is enormous.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 am

enraged_thinker wrote:
If you want to transfer, just remember that most or all of your classmates are just as hungry and capable as you are, and are gunning for the same thing. You should also note that 95% of the students who plan on being in the top-5% will be disappointed. (Note: I know this concept has already been stated above). It appears that you need a 170 on the LSAT.

Your undergraduate abilities don't really relate to your abilities/aptitude for law school work, they relate to your work ethic. Law school and undergrad are generally worlds apart in terms the type of critical thinking involved - with law school obviously requiring much deeper analytical abilities, more thoughtful written expression, better organization, etc.

Some people are more prepared for it because of certain courses they have taken, their personal circumstances, etc. There is no way to predict how well you will do in law school based on your undergraduate record. An LSAT score is theoretically supposed to determine whether you CAN do the work (I'm selling on this one for some applicants), while your UGPA determines whether you are WILLING to do the work. Hence, even if you actually had a 3.8 GPA, it wouldn't be probative of how you stack up against your competitors, only how likely you are to do all of your reading, etc.

If you want GULC, put yourself in position for admission there as a 1L. With your GPA, you need a 170 or so, depending on the nature and difficulty of your undergraduate curriculum, your grade trend, WE, LOR's, essays, etc.

slsplease

New

Post by slsplease » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 am

retake

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:04 am

slsplease wrote:retake
or don't go
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 am

Borhas wrote:
slsplease wrote:retake
or don't go
credited

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 am

if you plan on putting in the hard work to transfer why not put in the hard work to study and retake? like theyve said before dont go to a school you wouldnt be happy graduating from

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Retake. A year off is awesome. I retook, twice, and I am very happy. Even if your LSAT is not GT numbers, you can still improve it to the point that you will get into a school you would like to graduate from.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:04 pm

I love WVU. The job data is solid for a TT as it is the only law school in the state. Class of 2010 data is trickling out and there was a 70% offer rate pre-graduation here for them (which was higher than I expected).

I love the college here and do not regret going at all.

It is absolutely gorgeous out here. I had a blast going to Cheat Lake quite often during the warm months.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:50 pm

enraged_thinker wrote:
Point this upward trend out to the adcomms. I wish I had an upward trend because apparently they like that better than flat-lined grades.

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
enraged_thinker wrote:
Point this upward trend out to the adcomms. I wish I had an upward trend because apparently they like that better than flat-lined grades.
I think its a small soft at best... best thing to do with a low GPA is to compensate with a great LSAT.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 pm

joncrooshal wrote:I love WVU. The job data is solid for a TT as it is the only law school in the state..
seems you havent improved on the LR skills that landed your lsat in wvu territory in the first place

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 am

YourCaptain wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:I love WVU. The job data is solid for a TT as it is the only law school in the state..
seems you havent improved on the LR skills that landed your lsat in wvu territory in the first place
Thankfully, you are here to correct my grammar. Douche.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Philosopher King

Bronze

Post by Philosopher King » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 am

American_in_China wrote:I really don't understand all the transfer junkies who haven't taken the lsat multiple times; it's FARRRRR easier to score high on the LSAT than to do well at law school. And the amount of money a few more points on the LSAT can get you is enormous.
Don't remind us.

almostchinese

New

Post by almostchinese » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 am

nonsense answers. Georgetown offers a video addendum. Belt out a rendition of "What What in the butt", and youre golden!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 am

Cheap state school or don't go. Get the idea that you can transfer out of your head. Maybe you'll have that chance, but odds are pretty clear that you won't. Going into law school banking on transferring is the stupidest thing of all time.

Also sweet necro.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”