Finalizing school list 3.74/167 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boardsofcleveland

New

Finalizing school list 3.74/167

Post by boardsofcleveland » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Oct: 167
Dec: 165 :|

I am looking for schools whose degrees will allow me the most mobility in the Midwest or, at the very least, feed to my favored markets: Cleveland (hometown) and Chicago.

Does my list look sound?

t14 Reaches:
Michigan
Penn
Cornell
GULC
^ Please let me know if I should strike any of these and save my $$. Would Vandy make sense here--I am slightly below their medians and I am unsure of their reach to the Midwest?

Targets:
ND (Current undergrad)
Ohio State
WUSTL
Illinois
IU-B

Any suggestions? Submitting apps within the next week...
Last edited by boardsofcleveland on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Silver

Re: Finalizing school list 3.74/167

Post by kapachino » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Aren't you worried about submitting apps so late?

boardsofcleveland

New

Post by boardsofcleveland » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:35 pm

It's certainly a worry. I do regret not getting the ball rolling as early as last summer. And part of the reason I created this topic was to hear others' thoughts on whether my list (specifically the reaches) makes sense given a January app and my stats.

But I'm pretty committed to this cycle: no intention to take a year off, 99% feeling done with LSAT, etc. I also think I can be very happy working my butt off at one of my targets and hoping for regional success...

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 pm

you'd probably get a really big scholarship at case

mrmojojak

New

Post by mrmojojak » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 pm

You can probably get fee waivers from all the schools you listed if you hold off till next cycle. My list is pretty similar but I added a couple more reaches, yet haven't had any bites from them yet...Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KRog

New

Post by KRog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 am

If you have at least a year or two of work experience, I would add Northwestern.

Also, have you considered the University of Iowa? You should be in good position for significant scholarship dollars and the school is very well regarded in the midwest. Or perhaps U Minnesota-Twin Cities?

I think you are fine to apply now. I applied less than three weeks ago and already heard back from WUSTL.

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

RE: fee waivers

I dont think it's too late for fee waivers... Make sure you're releasing your scores/info to interested law schools via LSAC.org. It's Jan 19th and I'm still receiving fee waivers from lots of schools via email/snail mail and invitations to apply (my scores are only *slightly* higher than yours)

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Considering how late it is, I would apply pretty broadly in the bottom half of the T14: Penn, Michigan, Berkeley, UVA, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern (if you have work experience), Texas, and Georgetown. And see what happens here. See who will give you a fee waiver to apply.

I would also target Vanderbilt, WUSTL, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Notre Dame, Iowa, and see who bites. Chances are that you'll get into more than 2 of these with scholarship money so you can leverage the other schools against each other to push up the scholarship $$.

1. See if a T14 bites. See if they will give you any $$.

2. If not (1), play the next level schools off one another to see who will give you the most $$.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”