Iowa or William & Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa or W&M?

William & Mary (cost of tuition: $12,000/yr)
64%
Iowa (cost of tuition: $0/yr)
36%

Total votes: 22

jbabs

New

Iowa or William & Mary

Post by jbabs » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Of all the schools that have admitted me so far, I've narrowed it down to two choices - Iowa or W&M (I'm no longer feeling optimistic about WUSTL or NU).

Iowa's free, and even if I lose its scholarship, I'm only paying instate tuition. I'd also have ties to the only real market in Iowa, Des Moines. On the other hand, I don't particularly care for Iowa City anymore, and, since Iowa is such a regional school, I'm questioning whether I really want to be in the Midwest for a significant portion of my working life.

William & Mary's a bit more expensive, but I think it would be harder to lose its scholly (3.0 stip). $12,000 isn't unmanageable, in my book, but hopefully I'd be able to negotiate for a bit more $$$. I liked the campus when I visited, but I know little about the state's major markets. I also have no ties to speak of, besides having a few relatives in D.C. My main reservation with W&M would be my lack of ties - would I be at a severe disadvantage searching for VA jobs when I come from Iowa?

I would really appreciate TLS's input - thanks!

traehekat

Gold

Re: Iowa or William & Mary

Post by traehekat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:38 am

Where DO you want to work?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 am

William & Mary. Massively lay prestigious in the southeast.

jbabs

New

Post by jbabs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 am

traehekat wrote:Where DO you want to work?
I'd like to work somewhere with a warmer climate than the Midwest, and VA/the Southeast sounds highly appealing to me. But, I realize I have no regional ties (not yet), and I don't have a good sense of how important those are to firms or how the lack of those will affect my job search.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”