.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

.

Postby allmodcons » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:20 pm

.
Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby mrtoren » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 am

Both placed roughly the same number of grads into NLJ250 firms (Ref: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/tag/nlj-250/).

Rutgers, however, would be cheaper and that's never a bad thing in this economy. If you can stomach NJ for the rest of your life, I would go to RU-N. If you're always going to question whether or not W&L was the right choice...then perhaps its worth the leap of faith.

getmetolawschool
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby getmetolawschool » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 am

I was in a very similar situation (just sub in a peer school, also in VA), and went for the VA school a year and a half ago. Not a day goes by that I don't regret it. TAKE THE MONEY!!

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:52 am

mrtoren wrote:Both placed roughly the same number of grads into NLJ250 firms (Ref: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/tag/nlj-250/).

Rutgers, however, would be cheaper and that's never a bad thing in this economy. If you can stomach NJ for the rest of your life, I would go to RU-N. If you're always going to question whether or not W&L was the right choice...then perhaps its worth the leap of faith.


LST, as of now, is useless. Its data is from 2009, when the market was much better. The most reliable sources are the placement stats on each schools' website for the class of 2010. Placement stats for the c/o 2011 SHOULD be available by this Spring, as it will be >9months
since graduation. WL places in the VA/DC region. Rutgers in the NY/NJ/PA region. For what it's worth, WL is academically better than Rutgers.

allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby allmodcons » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:45 am

Thanks for the advice so far.

getmetolawschool: care to elaborate more on that? What makes you regret your decision so much?

FWIW, I have practically 0 interest in BigLaw. My heart says W&L (at this point) but my main concern is not having ties to the VA/MD/DC region. Is this a legitimate concern for that area?

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby mrtoren » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:51 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Both placed roughly the same number of grads into NLJ250 firms (Ref: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/tag/nlj-250/).

Rutgers, however, would be cheaper and that's never a bad thing in this economy. If you can stomach NJ for the rest of your life, I would go to RU-N. If you're always going to question whether or not W&L was the right choice...then perhaps its worth the leap of faith.


LST, as of now, is useless. Its data is from 2009, when the market was much better. The most reliable sources are the placement stats on each schools' website for the class of 2010. Placement stats for the c/o 2011 SHOULD be available by this Spring, as it will be >9months
since graduation. WL places in the VA/DC region. Rutgers in the NY/NJ/PA region. For what it's worth, WL is academically better than Rutgers.

I'm on Panera's WiFi and I can't access the link I posted, but I thought it was 2010 data. Most of LST is worthless now; I thought that was a recently posted article though.

In any event, here is the official 2010 placement and Rutgers-Newark comes in at 49 and W&L at 50.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

getmetolawschool
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby getmetolawschool » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:03 pm

tennisking88 wrote:getmetolawschool: care to elaborate more on that? What makes you regret your decision so much?

FWIW, I have practically 0 interest in BigLaw. My heart says W&L (at this point) but my main concern is not having ties to the VA/MD/DC region. Is this a legitimate concern for that area?


If biglaw is not a goal for you, that certainly changes things ... there are a lot of public service/government opportunities in DC and VA, and it doesn't seem like local ties are as big of a concern for those types of positions. If, like me, you decide that you want to come BACK to NJ and work for a firm ... it is extremely difficult. Virtually no firms from NJ will participate in OCI at these VA schools, and you will be left to work it out on your own. I think it just depends very much what your goals are. For me, I thought I would be happy relocating permanently to the South. Turns out, I'm much more of a city person than I had realized. Just think long and hard about where you want to end up after school, and plan accordingly.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Any stipulations on the money?

allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby allmodcons » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 am

.
Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 am

What's the curve at RU? If they curve to less than a 3.0 (and W&L really is that generous), take W&L. I cannot even begin to tell you how much of a relief not having to worry about losing your scholarship is during exams and such.

allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby allmodcons » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:58 am

kalvano wrote:What's the curve at RU? If they curve to less than a 3.0 (and W&L really is that generous), take W&L. I cannot even begin to tell you how much of a relief not having to worry about losing your scholarship is during exams and such.


Duly noted. Thanks!

allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

.

Postby allmodcons » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 am

.
Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:57 pm

kalvano wrote:What's the curve at RU? If they curve to less than a 3.0 (and W&L really is that generous), take W&L. I cannot even begin to tell you how much of a relief not having to worry about losing your scholarship is during exams and such.


Rutgers curves to a 3.0. Also, you really need to check on that W&L curve, as I have my doubts that a 3.15 is top 80% (are you sure the person wasn't just saying that 80% of people with the scholarship keep it?).

Anyway, I personally think staying local is underrated. Mostly because if you do poorly, it will be far easier to get a job somewhere that you have local ties.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm

tennisking88 wrote:The most reliable sources are the placement stats on each schools' website for the class of 2010.

no.

allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

.

Postby allmodcons » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 pm

.
Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 pm

It is cheaper and about the same in job placement. And you are from there. What more information do you possibly need? I understand that you want to get out of new jersey. If that's what you want to do then you should take a few years of and travel or work somewhere else. Relocating for lawschool is usually not a good idea unless you go to a top school. This one breaks in favor of Rugers easily.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Newark (nearly full ride) vs. W&L (1/2 tuition)?

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

romothesavior wrote:Relocating for lawschool is usually not a good idea unless you go to a top school.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests