Georgetown this year or MVP next year?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I wait?

Go to Georgetown this year
63%
Wait a year and try ED to V followed by ED to P
37%

Total votes: 41

Tim0thy222

Georgetown this year or MVP next year?

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:23 am

Edited.
Last edited by Tim0thy222 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shooter

Re: Georgetown this year or MVP next year?

Postby Shooter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:35 am

Georgetown is an excellent school, and it will likely provide you with the "name brand" and career prospects that your present school lacks. So it really comes down to you.

Are you happy with your application this year? Do you think you "left anything on the table," so to speak?

If you think you can do better. Don't be afraid to do better.

Otherwise, enjoy an amazing law school in an amazing city!

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:12 am

lol if GULC is your best acceptance with 3.2/177 and they arent giving you significant $, you would be insane to not wait a year and reapply.

gdh

Postby gdh » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:47 am

barneytrouble wrote:you would be insane to not wait a year and reapply.

Not sure about this quote... for me I think Georgetown is far and away the right decision.
1) you stated you already waited a year once and don't want to wait a year again
2) your application isn't going to substantively change. Adcoms will notice this. They will look for a reason to look upon your application in a different light and ask "what did you do over the last year that changes you as a person, and your previous application that now makes me want to admit you". If you don't do something impressive over the year off I would doubt they will change their perspective.
Personal aside: I have taken off what will be a total of 3 years by the time I start school. In that time I explored different careers, but none of it even comes close to stimulating me the way law does. If you're in a similar situation or like me, the time out of your future profession drives you crazy. I can't imagine waiting another day to start now. Do you have a firm plan of what you'll do to keep yourself happy and improve change your application if you wait?
3) Georgetown is a great law school and with a little networking, hard work in 1L classes etc, you can create opportunity to succeed (thus putting yourself in a position where you are marketable to BigLaw). DC is full of opportunity - leverage the numerous law firms and government access to create a solid legal resume that prospective employers want.

Lets look at the cost. Tuition is going to continue to rise so every year you wait makes it more expensive, and each year you wait also potentially means another year not at a big law salary.

oh, and all of this assumes UMich RD doesn't come through. However, I question that and think I'll be seeing you there!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:08 am

Send a LOCI to Virginia as well as to Michigan.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:41 am

I'd wait to see about money, and I agree with CW in that you should definitely get a LOCI out to UVA (it sounds like you haven't heard anything from Mich. back, and if you look at LSN, some people didn't hear back until Feb. it seems like, and they applied before the year ended). I think though, if Georgetown offers you some type of merit aid that can noticeably reduce COA you'd be hard pressed NOT to go. Don't forget; you're on TLS. People do the whole GeorgeTTTown thing, but this is a tiny section of the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should delude yourself into thinking that being median at Georgetown is equal to being Median at HYSCCN, but at the same time don't get caught up in everyone's narrative here that tries to put Gtown down as if it was a TTT. It's got a great reputation, especially in their region, a history of strong performance, and will continue to be a great LS in the future. If you have no plans on doing anything over the next year, and you applied with sufficient time this year (Halloween - Thanksgiving), I'm not quite sure what waiting a year would do for you.

I'm a 0L though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm

hyakku wrote:I'd wait to see about money, and I agree with CW in that you should definitely get a LOCI out to UVA (it sounds like you haven't heard anything from Mich. back, and if you look at LSN, some people didn't hear back until Feb. it seems like, and they applied before the year ended). I think though, if Georgetown offers you some type of merit aid that can noticeably reduce COA you'd be hard pressed NOT to go. Don't forget; you're on TLS. People do the whole GeorgeTTTown thing, but this is a tiny section of the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should delude yourself into thinking that being median at Georgetown is equal to being Median at HYSCCN, but at the same time don't get caught up in everyone's narrative here that tries to put Gtown down as if it was a TTT. It's got a great reputation, especially in their region, a history of strong performance, and will continue to be a great LS in the future. If you have no plans on doing anything over the next year, and you applied with sufficient time this year (Halloween - Thanksgiving), I'm not quite sure what waiting a year would do for you.

I'm a 0L though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I agree with this. I would personally vote Georgetown. You did not by any means apply late.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 pm

I would wait only if you can do something to improve your application during this next year.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 pm

you'll probably get mvp if you write a loci. write good ones and go visit the school you wanted to go to the most. going to visit seems pretty key for getting off of wait lists. your lsat score is top notch. i'm not sure when you applied but if it was kind of late then that can have a weird impact on your cycle. i got wait listed/reserved at every school I applied to except for my local T2. if you do decide to wait out a year make sure to do some cool stuff. volunteer on weekends go for a big trip through south america etc.. all i did was work retail the year in between college and law school and when i look at what my other classmates did i can't help but think it pulled my app down a bit.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Step 1: Ride the wait list at Cornell and join me next year.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

Stop being lazy, send them a good LOCI saying they're you're number one and you'd immediately accept, sit back, and enjoy a memosa.

navigator

Postby navigator » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm

It sounds like you're certain about law school for a career, and I think you would be crazy to sit out another year working retail. As has already been said, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get into MVP if you couldn't this year. GULC is a good school, and you control your own destiny if you enroll there (meaning that if you do well, you will have good job prospects).

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:18 pm

My opinion is biased as someone who to this point in the cycle has only heard from and made it into GULC, has a GPA .2 higher than yours, and an LSAT 10 points lower, but I also applied on my softs, and that has worked well thus far. I would say go to GULC, and if you really don't like it, try and transfer. I know that starting LS with the goal of transferring is not good advice, and runs counter to TLS standard doctrine, but thats not what I am advocating. I am just saying start at GULC, and really, if you don't do well enough to transfer should you want to, it might well be the case that you wouldn't do well enough at MVP to really secure biglaw as is.

Based on your goals, if you do well at GULC, big law should not be a problem. Outside of TLS, doing my own research as to whether I want to go to GULC or do something else (though I am full time employed and 5 years out of UG) there are a lot of schools that rank very high for big law that you just will not typically get the recommendation from TLS.

That GULC has slightly lower biglaw placement than others similarly ranked among the NDCG is also partly a result of self selection into government jobs. Lawclerkaddict.com shows that GULC places well with the clerkships, though it does have a class size 2-3x some of the other schools. As well, as a current federal government employee, the lawyers I have spoken to seem to be unanimous in that if it isn't H or Y, the advantage isn't really that big between the rest of the t-14. Yes, CCN does better than NDCG, but at least GULC will give you the access to DC in advance. But, bottom line, and I say this and this alone with 100% confidence, is that if you are motivated, personable, and start early in growing your contacts and network as a 1L, you are going to succeed at GULC.

If you do insist on taking time off, I really would say though that don't do it just to work retail and get the up on submitting your applications the day that they are available. You said it yourself, your softs are not existent. I have no idea what your personal situation is like, but if you do something (and here is where my bias really comes in) like join the military, not only are you boosting your resume, but you are getting a GI bill that will pay some/all of your law school depending on where you go, + $1500 a month living expenses, plus some other perks. If the military interests you, feel free to PM me for more info about that option.

Or just keep writing LOCI's. Best of luck.

Shaggy

Postby Shaggy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Retake.

Shaggy

Postby Shaggy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:20 pm

MVP.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

take a look at this. If biglaw is your thing, I dont think the <10% or difference between GULC and MVP should concern you such that you put life on hold another year. Those charts also reflect some of the personalities of the schools too, i.e. GULC with a big PI focus.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am

EMZE wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681

take a look at this. If biglaw is your thing, I dont think the <10% or difference between GULC and MVP should concern you such that you put life on hold another year. Those charts also reflect some of the personalities of the schools too, i.e. GULC with a big PI focus.

Wasn't the class of 2009 non-offered all over the place? The reliability, so to speak, of the numbers from the past few years is pretty suspect.

I'd write LOCIs and see what happens. The cycle isn't yet over - hell last year someone was admitted to my school off the waitlist during orientation.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:22 am

ahduth wrote:

Wasn't the class of 2009 non-offered all over the place? The reliability, so to speak, of the numbers from the past few years is pretty suspect.

2010 was the no-offer class (because they did OCI about a month before the crash). 2009 was deferred. 2011 just got decimated.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Applying first day of the cycle next year you should be near auto-admit at UVA, regardless of whether you improve your application or not. Write LOCIs and see if you can sneak in off the waitlist, but otherwise I think the difference in job prospects between Georgetown and MVP is worth waiting a year. Save up some money over the next year and decrease your future debt load.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:29 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm actually a little surprised at the results so far, I thought everybody would tell me to wait a year.

I definitely plan on riding the waitlists, and I still am waiting on some decisions, but I just want to have a plan for what I'm going to do if this is what it comes down to.

Here's another relevant question I'm hoping someone can provide insight to:

If I apply ED to UVA the day apps come out, then ED to Penn if I don't get UVA, what are my chances of missing the T14 entirely? I could wait until after I hear from Penn and ED Georgetown if I strike out at Penn and UVA, then I'd have a TRIPLE ED CYCLE. I mean, maybe the ED to Georgetown would help them forgive me for reapplying after being accepted there? I guess that's my concern, that Georgetown would be upset I reapplied after acceptance and I'd miss everything else. If I was pretty confident I'd land in the T14 again next time around, that would influence this decision a bit.

But then there's this:

That difference doesn't look that significant. Am I missing something? Am I underestimating the significance of 10%? Or does EMZE have it right, that the difference is no big deal? Also, the difference seems even less significant when clerks, academia, government, and PI are thrown into the mix. So say if I revised my original position from "I want biglaw" to "I want a job as a lawyer", would that change things?

I know that this post is several questions at once, so thanks again everyone for your input up to this point and your continuing input.

Oh and one more thing...
Cartman wrote: sit back, and enjoy a memosa mimosa.

FTFY, CARTMAN

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Your first step must be to send out convincing LOCIs with solid reasons explaining why you want to go to UVA/Michigan. If you don't get in, I am finding it hard to believe that waiting another cycle is going to be a smart move especially since you have no plans to get any attractive softs in the meantime.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”