Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby sunynp » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:20 pm

OP - you may not want to be specific, but you will get very general advice. I think go for the best deal -least debt you can manage except for Yale. I would go to Yale at any cost; but that is just my opinion.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 pm

minnesotamike wrote:In fact, the vast majority of people benefiting from this site will never register. If you don't educate yourself, you may not realize that they exist. But there they are. Watching, reading, learning. Until you start spewing ignorant shit like that.


Why on earth would we care about the lurkers? They've contributed nothing. They can fuck off.

You'll have plenty of time for hypos once you get to law school, in this context they're just meaningless bullshit.

minnesotamike
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby minnesotamike » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm

ahduth wrote:
minnesotamike wrote:In fact, the vast majority of people benefiting from this site will never register. If you don't educate yourself, you may not realize that they exist. But there they are. Watching, reading, learning. Until you start spewing ignorant shit like that.


Why on earth would we care about the lurkers? They've contributed nothing. They can fuck off.

You'll have plenty of time for hypos once you get to law school, in this context they're just meaningless bullshit.


where to begin? I'm on my phone so bear with me.

First, is your argument that because some people dont't contribute to this particular website they don't deserve the benefit of the discussion? Maybe they don't contribute because they are busy doing other things (e.g. Living life) maybe -gasp- doing something useful to the world other than browsing TLS. To promote an efficient world and transfer of knowledge, its useful for people without the time for internet pissing contests to have access to wide troves of information. In fact, I'd wager that society benefits more from this kind of usage than from any other. I don't give a fuck how TLS benefits the most.

The value of a forum is the cataloging and storage of knowledge for future reference. Otherwise, its just a chat room. you take a very myopic view of these if you really think the point is satisfying the curiosity of the OP.

Second, you are a lurker as well (so am I - and everyone else), except when we're not. Do you ever look up travel or restaurant recommendations? Do you always post on them or do your sometimes benefit from others' knowledge and experience without registering? That's what I thought. Don't limit the gravy train.

When working on my truck its a boon to be able to read years-old posts about repairs without having to make a new post and wait for responses. Some day not long from now, someone will use OP's post for reference in the same way I read about my truck. (as a side note unrelated/off topic/"funny" comments such as this are extremely frustrating when using the forums for this purpose).

And I'm not worried about my time or others' - and neither should you be. Let people post if they are knowledgeable or are otherwise contributing to the conversation or the accumulation of knowledge online. If you don't like it don't post.

If you do post, don't discourage those who can effectively contribute to the conversion from doing so.

Edited to fix grammar

User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Cartman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:22 pm

ahduth wrote:
minnesotamike wrote:In fact, the vast majority of people benefiting from this site will never register. If you don't educate yourself, you may not realize that they exist. But there they are. Watching, reading, learning. Until you start spewing ignorant shit like that.


Why on earth would we care about the lurkers? They've contributed nothing. They can fuck off.

You'll have plenty of time for hypos once you get to law school, in this context they're just meaningless bullshit.


Angsty.

ahduth wrote:
FlanAl wrote:I'm not really sure how you get a full ride at cornell but have to pay sticker at a T6.


It's because she doesn't know yet.

I'd still be curious to know if Cornell money was negotiable at CCN. I didn't apply to Cornell because their application irritated me.


Aaaannngsty.

Wart wrote:I find it ironic that people on here are constantly blasted for asking hypothetical questions because such questions are a waste of time, when clearly, people on this site have no problem wasting time.


Indeed. The sweet, juicy irony of people wasting time by telling other people they're wasting time. Wasting more time being an asshat than being constructive.

PDXNative
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby PDXNative » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:09 pm

I have the same question as the OP...so I appreciate all the actual responses!

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:26 pm

minnesotamike wrote:
ahduth wrote:
minnesotamike wrote:In fact, the vast majority of people benefiting from this site will never register. If you don't educate yourself, you may not realize that they exist. But there they are. Watching, reading, learning. Until you start spewing ignorant shit like that.


Why on earth would we care about the lurkers? They've contributed nothing. They can fuck off.

You'll have plenty of time for hypos once you get to law school, in this context they're just meaningless bullshit.


where to begin? I'm on my phone so bear with me.

First, is your argument that because some people dont't contribute to this particular website they don't deserve the benefit of the discussion? Maybe they don't contribute because they are busy doing other things (e.g. Living life) maybe -gasp- doing something useful to the world other than browsing TLS. To promote an efficient world and transfer of knowledge, its useful for people without the time for internet pissing contests to have access to wide troves of information. In fact, I'd wager that society benefits more from this kind of usage than from any other. I don't give a fuck how TLS benefits the most.

The value of a forum is the cataloging and storage of knowledge for future reference. Otherwise, its just a chat room. you take a very myopic view of these if you really think the point is satisfying the curiosity of the OP.

Second, you are a lurker as well (so am I - and everyone else), except when we're not. Do you ever look up travel or restaurant recommendations? Do you always post on them or do your sometimes benefit from others' knowledge and experience without registering? That's what I thought. Don't limit the gravy train.

When working on my truck its a boon to be able to read years-old posts about repairs without having to make a new post and wait for responses. Some day not long from now, someone will use OP's post for reference in the same way I read about my truck. (as a side note unrelated/off topic/"funny" comments such as this are extremely frustrating when using the forums for this purpose).

And I'm not worried about my time or others' - and neither should you be. Let people post if they are knowledgeable or are otherwise contributing to the conversation or the accumulation of knowledge online. If you don't like it don't post.

If you do post, don't discourage those who can effectively contribute to the conversion from doing so.

Edited to fix grammar


+1000000

Thanks for saying what so many "lurkers", using social media as intended and getting turned off by the self righteousness of the regulars on these forums, have been thinking for years.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:32 pm

What if we all lurked?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:What if we all lurked?


We might never get the answers to critical hypothetical questions like "should I go to Cornell with (nearly) a full ride, or a T6 that I don't want to name on the internet." :!:

I have no problem with people lurking, but don't give me some self-righteous attitude that every goofy question is deserving of a response. These people who preach an "appropriate" way to use social media are weird - you come on to a site full of future lawyers, you should expect some assholes. In fact, I'd expect quite a few. Shocking, I know.

This particular case isn't as bad as people asking about what their odds are without a real LSAT score, but it's the same genre of forum noise.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:18 pm

ahduth wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:What if we all lurked?


We might never get the answers to critical hypothetical questions like "should I go to Cornell with (nearly) a full ride, or a T6 that I don't want to name on the internet." :!:

I have no problem with people lurking, but don't give me some self-righteous attitude that every goofy question is deserving of a response. These people who preach an "appropriate" way to use social media are weird - you come on to a site full of future lawyers, you should expect some assholes. In fact, I'd expect quite a few. Shocking, I know.

This particular case isn't as bad as people asking about what their odds are without a real LSAT score, but it's the same genre of forum noise.


I'm actually agreeing with you.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby ahduth » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:What if we all lurked?


We might never get the answers to critical hypothetical questions like "should I go to Cornell with (nearly) a full ride, or a T6 that I don't want to name on the internet." :!:

I have no problem with people lurking, but don't give me some self-righteous attitude that every goofy question is deserving of a response. These people who preach an "appropriate" way to use social media are weird - you come on to a site full of future lawyers, you should expect some assholes. In fact, I'd expect quite a few. Shocking, I know.

This particular case isn't as bad as people asking about what their odds are without a real LSAT score, but it's the same genre of forum noise.


I'm actually agreeing with you.


I know. I'm trolling the lurker-advocacy crowd.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby snehpets » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 pm

minnesotamike wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
catwomangirl wrote: This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?


I think you should not ask about things that have not yet happened.


*lots of stuff about social media, lurkers, etc.*

-HYS secure

-Sent from my iPad


from someone who has been lurking this thread, how was 'HYS secure' relevant here?

i do agree with you to some extent that it's useful to discuss these things because it's helpful to people trying to make the decision, even if it's hypothetical. however, as someone else said, there's a vast difference between NYU at sticker and Yale at sticker when compared to Cornell. I can see how people would be less willing to engage in what would inevitably turn into a messy series of widely varying hypotheticals and the details accompanying them.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

To everyone talking about the difference between T3 vs T6 schools, doesn't T6 imply that it's not T3?
When someone says T30, you know they're not talking about Michigan.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:28 pm

OP, what if the sky was another color? What if Germany had won the war? What if our moms had had an abortion? What if you get two more questions right on the LSAT? What if the world ends tomorrow? What if...what if...

There's a pretty good reason people generally don't like answering hypothetical questions. It's like the annoying kid at the back of the car asking why cars run on gas or why Satan and Jesus don't get along.

Nothing prevents you from asking this question when you actually have concrete offers.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:OP, what if the sky was another color? What if Germany had won the war? What if our moms had had an abortion? What if you get two more questions right on the LSAT? What if the world ends tomorrow? What if...what if...

There's a pretty good reason people generally don't like answering hypothetical questions. It's like the annoying kid at the back of the car asking why cars run on gas or why Satan and Jesus don't get along.

Nothing prevents you from asking this question when you actually have concrete offers.



Based on your avatar, you must be mired in uncertainty.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 pm

catwomangirl wrote:To everyone talking about the difference between T3 vs T6 schools, doesn't T6 imply that it's not T3?
When someone says T30, you know they're not talking about Michigan Berkeley.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:38 pm

catwomangirl wrote: Based on your avatar, you must be mired in uncertainty.


Uncertainty is the bane of humankind's existence. It is the reason religion was invented. Well, that and to prevent the poor from killing the rich.

User avatar
catwomangirl
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby catwomangirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
catwomangirl wrote: Based on your avatar, you must be mired in uncertainty.


Uncertainty is the bane of humankind's existence. It is the reason religion was invented. Well, that and to prevent the poor from killing the rich.



I think that's the reason they also invented modernism. And postmodernism.


And Tintin.

minnesotamike
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby minnesotamike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am

snehpets wrote:
minnesotamike wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
catwomangirl wrote: This is somewhat hypothetical at this point, but assuming private sector, debt averse, what do y'all think?


I think you should not ask about things that have not yet happened.


*lots of stuff about social media, lurkers, etc.*

-HYS secure

-Sent from my iPad


from someone who has been lurking this thread, how was 'HYS secure' relevant here?

i do agree with you to some extent that it's useful to discuss these things because it's helpful to people trying to make the decision, even if it's hypothetical. however, as someone else said, there's a vast difference between NYU at sticker and Yale at sticker when compared to Cornell. I can see how people would be less willing to engage in what would inevitably turn into a messy series of widely varying hypotheticals and the details accompanying them.


The HYS secure thing was intended to be comedy. I hope that the comedy would show by slapping it alongside sent from my iPad. To be clear, it's completely irrelevant to the post.

OP, what if the sky was another color? What if Germany had won the war? What if our moms had had an abortion? What if you get two more questions right on the LSAT? What if the world ends tomorrow? What if...what if...

...



The tl;dr of my rant is: it's good to catalog knowledge for future reference; whether it's going to be useful to OP is *completely* irrelevant. I guarantee it is/will be relevant to someone, sometime. There's value in creating this knowledge record now, rather than when someone actually needs the answer (see my truck repair example).

If the question is bad because it's silly, then fine, attack it on those grounds. Do not attack something solely on the grounds that it's a hypo. Until you get to absurd possibilities (e.g. single-limb marathon runner, whose mother is president of Laos and a Yale legacy) then hypos *will* be useful for someone. Just because no one on this particular board at this particular intersection of space and time appears to need it does not mean that *no one* needs it/will need it.

Nothing prevents you from asking this question when you actually have concrete offers.


Certainly. But there is value in asking these questions early (i.e. to let the discussion mature and to obtain a wide range of opinions from people who may not be available at other times) and, in all likelihood, at this point in the cycle, it is *not* a hypo for someone who would like to read about it, even if they haven't had the time/wherewithal/initiative to post about it.

but don't give me some self-righteous attitude that every goofy question is deserving of a response.


A careful reading of my post will reveal that this is emphatically not my argument. My opinion is simply that questions should not be discounted because they appear to be hypothetical. If they are "goofy," attack them for that reason. Not for their hypotheticalness.

tl;dr: Someone other than OP will be faced with OPs dilemma. Post for that person.
Last edited by minnesotamike on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby NoleinNY » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:18 am

Personally, it would depend on the T6.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:19 am

minnesotamike wrote:good to catalog knowledge for future reference; whether it's going to be useful to OP is *completely* irrelevant. I guarantee it is/will be relevant to someone, sometime.


No. I think this might be true on some forums, where a static situation is discussed. You brought up the truck example earlier (I think). A post from a month, a year or however many years ago is probably useful today, because probably nothing has shifted in terms of the parts or whatever.

In this forum, people want to discuss THIS year. And this year is different than every other year as far as law school choice goes. Is the discussion largely mindless, misinformed and worthless? Sure. But it's a bunch of lawyers, you see. And they want to argue fact patterns.

Maybe I'm in exam mode still, even with all I've been through these past 10 days. But I don't see the value of creating hypotheticals when they're simply going to be torn apart tomorrow.

For everyone else reading this thread, I also want to state that I still have 12 days until classes start. :P

MOOBCINOS
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby MOOBCINOS » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Getting back on track, there answer depends on what you want to do upon graduation.

Want to work at BigLaw? Have that impossible dream of becoming a Wachtell Partner? Well, assuming you do, go with Columbia over Cornell, even if Cornell gives you a FULL ride. Why? Well, let's check out Wachtell's website.... a quick search of their attorneys yields 45 who graduated Columbia. Hm, seems like alot. But Cornell is a good school too right? I'm sure they have a comparable amount... Oh, wow, they only have 1...

In fact, Columbia is generally the most highly represented LS at top firms. Check their websites if you don't believe me.

Again, this is all assuming you want to do BigLaw.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 pm

MOOBCINOS wrote:Getting back on track, there answer depends on what you want to do upon graduation.

Want to work at BigLaw? Have that impossible dream of becoming a Wachtell Partner? Well, assuming you do, go with Columbia over Cornell, even if Cornell gives you a FULL ride. Why? Well, let's check out Wachtell's website.... a quick search of their attorneys yields 45 who graduated Columbia. Hm, seems like alot. But Cornell is a good school too right? I'm sure they have a comparable amount... Oh, wow, they only have 1...

In fact, Columbia is generally the most highly represented LS at top firms. Check their websites if you don't believe me.

Again, this is all assuming you want to do BigLaw.


Lol, nobody should pick a school based on wanting to work at Wachtell.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:45 pm

MOOBCINOS wrote:Getting back on track, there answer depends on what you want to do upon graduation.

Want to work at BigLaw? Have that impossible dream of becoming a Wachtell Partner? Well, assuming you do, go with Columbia over Cornell, even if Cornell gives you a FULL ride. Why? Well, let's check out Wachtell's website.... a quick search of their attorneys yields 45 who graduated Columbia. Hm, seems like alot. But Cornell is a good school too right? I'm sure they have a comparable amount... Oh, wow, they only have 1...

In fact, Columbia is generally the most highly represented LS at top firms. Check their websites if you don't believe me.

Again, this is all assuming you want to do BigLaw.


Dumbest post ever.

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:46 am

Honest question: why is this so dumb? Because I noticed a similar thing too, looking at Cornell's hiring numbers. Even though they're feeding into the big firms at a high rate, they're really underrepresented by partners. It seems like Cornell might get you hired as a cog, but that you're really on a different track even though it's not explicitly said. What's the counterargument? That the number of partners is reflective of the strength of the school thirty years ago, I guess?

MOOBCINOS
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Cornell with (Nearly) Full Ride vs T6

Postby MOOBCINOS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:53 am

It's not dumb. Just look at the numbers. Yes, Cornell and Columbia are both great schools. The issue is just thay Columbia will open a few more doors for you than Cornell.

The debt issue comes into play only if you want to work for Govt. or something else with a lower salary compared, in which case I would recommend Cornell.

I'm simply pointing out the fact that, if OP wants to go to BigLaw, biting the 210k bullet to go to Columbia is probably worth it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, gc2maxpro, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests