T-14 near work for wife (Masters in non-profit studies)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: T-14 near work for wife (Masters in non-profit studies)

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:13 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Charlottesville is near DC.

Lol no.

Yes, C'ville is "near" DC, but not near enough. It's two hours by car to the Beltway, in good traffic, and then you have to worry about traffic on and inside the Beltway (or finding parking at a Metro P&R after 8am). That's "day trip on a Saturday to hit the museums" close, but it's not "live together and have a healthy marriage" close.

gdh

Postby gdh » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:03 am

I'll echo the post about the NPV of your decision. Look at the three years of lost salary (current job), add 200K to it, then compare that to the delta between future big law salary and current salary (building in average raises etc.). I find it hard to believe that in in 20 years you'll come out financially ahead. Then again, if you are financially in a position to weather such a move and you're passionate about it, just do it.

thecactus

Postby thecactus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Berkeley and surrounding Oakland + SF + San Jose + Wine Country has tons of non-profits. Toooooons.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:35 pm

I'd be looking at NY, DC, or San Fran.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Voodoo94 wrote:I see a long-term financial disaster in the making. Let's see: You were born in 1973 which makes you 38, correct? You will be 39 starting law school and 42 when you graduate - nearly 20 years older than your classmates.

In this job and debt environment, I have to ask what the heck you are thinking?

In most cases, legal employers won't give a hill of beans about what you've been doing in the 20 years since undergrad. 2-6 years of meaninful work experience can be an asset, but 15-20 is just a liability.

You are 38 for God's sake! Why are you taking on $200K in student debt at this age? Look at the delta between your current income and your projected earnings as an attorney (minus student loan debt service). In most cases, it just won't be worth it.

Don't listen to the naysayers. I started law school at about your age (+/- 2 yrs) and have a biglaw (V25-50)/public interest split summer lined up for next summer (I am a 2L). My age has not hurt me at all, and in some ways it is an advantage if you ask me.

FWIW though, I took a scholarship over a higher ranked school at sticker, and am very happy with that choice. But it is also heartening to know that I probably would have been just fine had I taken on the extra debt.

DC and NYC would both have a large number of non-profits, as would SF/SV and Chicago. Outside the T14, LA and Austin would be good places to look as well. As has already been mentioned, most big cities will have a fair number of non-profits. What I can't address is how strong or weak the hiring market is for non-profits in these cities. Good luck with law school and show the naysayers a thing or two.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:41 am

Voodoo94 wrote:
That's the thing. I haven't paid more than $500 in my educational expenses. I've worked the money thing pretty well. I'm not worried about it all that much. I have heard this time and again, from naysayers. I feel that I can qualify for a good school with money. If not, we'll sell our home (paid off) if need be. My wife and I are both well informed. I also have good local contacts in various places for mid-firm work (in several types of law). While that isn't a job, my wife and I both feel that the time and the action are right here.

As always, I thank all of the naysayers for their concern. It's nice to know that there are people out there that don't just want to watch what they think is a train-wreck. LOL

Please tell me why a firm would want a 42 year old as an entry-level associate when they can get 25 year olds with no familiy obligations/career habits?

The firms want fungible cogs to work crazy hours for 2-5 years before discarding them. Game Over.

I know older classmates who have done fine with biglaw recruiting. In fact, the people who tend to have the most problems with biglaw recruiting are the 25 year olds with no work experience.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Ann Arbor is near Detroit. Charlottesville is near DC. Durham is in the RTP area (which has a decent sized non-profit community). You don't need a "major city" to find a good non-profit network. OP's wife should know this.

TCR

SA1928

Postby SA1928 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 pm

What type of non-profit work is she interested in? Is she more focused on environmental non-profits, or educational, or maybe more social services? I think that could make a major difference in the area that you might want to look, if you are trying to choose a law school based on what type of work she can find. Is she open to a job at any non-profit? Although, like others have said, non-profits exist in the area around every T14, though obviously in greater abundance in larger cities like NY, DC, etc.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 pm

SA1928 wrote:What type of non-profit work is she interested in? Is she more focused on environmental non-profits, or educational, or maybe more social services? I think that could make a major difference in the area that you might want to look, if you are trying to choose a law school based on what type of work she can find. Is she open to a job at any non-profit? Although, like others have said, non-profits exist in the area around every T14, though obviously in greater abundance in larger cities like NY, DC, etc.

She is flexible and willing to work for any non-profit.

BTW...thank all of you for your help with this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”