Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell v. Michigan

Cornell
42
39%
Michigan
66
61%
 
Total votes: 108

User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby crabcakes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Currently choosing between Cornell and Michigan. Both will likely be at sticker, but parents paying 100%. Would like to do biglaw, preferably in NYC. No real preference between Ithaca or Ann Arbor...Annnnny thoughts?

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby inthebeginning » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Also would be very interested in this.

Michigan has a sterling reputation for biglaw recruiting for NYC firms, but I also know that Cornell is huge for biglaw too. I was looking at us news and world report and it looks like 85% of cornell grads go into firms on graduation, that compares with 73% for Mich but it looks like Mich also has 14% clerkship. But it did seem that Cornell had a higher percentage than other T14 going right into firms, I'm not sure if that is a reflection of poor clerking rates, or good biglaw recruiting.

I also want to apply to Mich and Cornell next year and do big law, may go ED to Mich. Got a 3.65 undergrad and 163 on lsat diag so not sure if I'll make the cut but should be around there if I improve in LSAT I hope. Did you apply anywhere else?

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby inthebeginning » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Also, voted for Michigan because it's way more fun.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:05 pm

whichever your parents like moar obviously dude

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby Tanicius » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Michigan by a long shot.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:17 pm

inthebeginning wrote:Also would be very interested in this.

Michigan has a sterling reputation for biglaw recruiting for NYC firms, but I also know that Cornell is huge for biglaw too. I was looking at us news and world report and it looks like 85% of cornell grads go into firms on graduation, that compares with 73% for Mich but it looks like Mich also has 14% clerkship. But it did seem that Cornell had a higher percentage than other T14 going right into firms, I'm not sure if that is a reflection of poor clerking rates, or good biglaw recruiting.

I also want to apply to Mich and Cornell next year and do big law, may go ED to Mich. Got a 3.65 undergrad and 163 on lsat diag so not sure if I'll make the cut but should be around there if I improve in LSAT I hope. Did you apply anywhere else?


If you're taking in June, you have no excuse not to get up into the mid 170s and end up at NYU/CLS

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Is Cornell's placement partially due to the fact that it places wider but in less competitive firms? I really don't even know enough about biglaw and could probably only name like four firms, but it is the kind of situation where biglaw includes Cravath and Sullivan & Cromwell, but also less competitive firms, and Cornell places lots of grads into those? Or is biglaw more or less equally competitive?

I actually really like Cornell, but I want to make sure I have a good picture of how it places.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Michigan, and you have amazing parents.

User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby crabcakes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:31 pm

lots of michigan love on here, and yes, my parents are awesome!

but am i misguided to be swayed in cornell direction by this? http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/best-law ... -job-2011/

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm

crabcakes wrote:lots of michigan love on here, and yes, my parents are awesome!

but am i misguided to be swayed in cornell direction by this? http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/best-law ... -job-2011/


The caveat to that list (mentioned in the article) is clerkship placement. If you get the urge while there to apply for clerkships, you have a better shot (and lots of firms give clerkship bonuses.)

Look, if you went to Cornell, it would not be a mistake. You are choosing between two great schools. The consensus here, is Michigan, but you wouldn't be wrong to pick Cornell. Have you visited both? That could help you decide better than asking the masses.

User avatar
crabcakes
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby crabcakes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:55 pm

yeah, im visiting both and i guess it'll ultimately come down to feel. michigan would be summer start, so i'm trying to decide sooner rather than later. gaahhhh, decisions...

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:02 pm

crabcakes wrote:yeah, im visiting both and i guess it'll ultimately come down to feel. michigan would be summer start, so i'm trying to decide sooner rather than later. gaahhhh, decisions...


Then book yo tickets, sir/ma'am.

gdh
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby gdh » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:37 am

I'm making the same choice right now. Although, I would be equally happy in NYC or DC. One interesting, albeit irrelevant, thing I've noticed is that Cornell has more lay prestige and impresses friends/family more than Michigan.

My fear with this decision is that I don't want to become further regionalized having done UG and two years of work in Michigan. All that said, I see myself returning to the state to go to UMich next year.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 am

NoleinNY wrote:Michigan, and you have amazing rich parents.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:45 am

Tanicius wrote:Michigan by a long shot.

Whatever you want unless you can negotiate aid. For NYC biglaw they are equivalent.

User avatar
Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby Champion » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:56 am

gdh wrote:I'm making the same choice right now. Although, I would be equally happy in NYC or DC. One interesting, albeit irrelevant, thing I've noticed is that Cornell has more lay prestige and impresses friends/family more than Michigan.

My fear with this decision is that I don't want to become further regionalized having done UG and two years of work in Michigan. All that said, I see myself returning to the state to go to UMich next year.


Yea, I would definitely agree to the comment about lay prestige. I told some people i got into Michigan (didn't flinch) and then Georgetown..."omg wowwww Georgetown..that's amazing". So if the lay prestige aspect is something your looking into than it's definitely Cornell, however, where it really matters...Michigan's name goes a long way. If in the same position I would choose Michigan for the fact that if your plans change you'll probably have more flexibility. In the end, however, two great schools...won't go wrong at either.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:03 am

NoleinNY wrote:Michigan, and you have amazing parents.

to you and the poster before: Cornell self-selects into biglaw, while Mich grads have a wider array of post-grad jobs. If you want the best overall prospects, choose M

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby Lincoln » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:30 am

I obviously have some bias regarding this, since I attend Cornell. But we do very, very well in NYC BigLaw. If that's what you want, I think Cornell is the better choice. If you want anything/anywhere else, choose Michigan (with the exception of Boston, where Cornell also places well for a non-Boston school, but why anyone wants to move there is beyond me). Michigan's alumni community and Govt/PI reach is wider outside NYC than Cornell's. I have friends there who loved it, and who did very well and got what they wanted in terms of firms/clerkships. But to illustrate with an anecdote, there are more Cornell grads than Michigan grads going to my V5 firm, despite a class size that is just over half. I'd be surprised if Cornell weren't overrepresented w/r/t Michigian at other top NYC firms, as well.

Another thing I think is overlooked is the strength of Cornell's undergrad alumni community in NYC. Lots of people went to other law schools, but have an affinity for Cornell, and still do recruiting there, etc. It was an asset during recruiting that I didn't expect. The same may be true for Michigan, but again, I think that's more the case outside NYC.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:47 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Michigan, and you have amazing parents.

to you and the poster before: Cornell self-selects into biglaw, while Mich grads have a wider array of post-grad jobs. If you want the best overall prospects, choose M

This sounds like bullshit to me.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:06 am

one thing that has to be said is cornell's easy access to nyc. if what you want is nyc big law then you probably like the city and would rather go there on weekends than to detroit. ann arbor is supposed to be pretty sick but i think ithaca hippies are great.

law2015
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby law2015 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 am

My advice is to go to Michigan for one simple reason and that is the ungraded LRW.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby FlanAl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:13 am

law2015 wrote:My advice is to go to Michigan for one simple reason and that is the ungraded LRW.

yup i'll go with that for sure. graded lrw made people way more aggro than necessary last semester for sure

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby American_in_China » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:21 am

Also, if you want to go anywhere else at all, Michigan.

bogart
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby bogart » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 am

Cornell, because it places better in nyc.
/thread.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cornell v. Michigan - NYC Biglaw

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:51 am

law2015 wrote:My advice is to go to Michigan for one simple reason and that is the ungraded LRW.


Jesus ungraded LRW +100000.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 2 guests