Best Intramurals

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeerMaker

Best Intramurals

Postby BeerMaker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:20 pm

What schools have the best intramural experience? Sports leagues and competition against other schools. Softball, basketball, etc.

desertlaw

Re: Best Intramurals

Postby desertlaw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 am

I go to UVa and people take softball pretty damn seriously here. We hold an annual tournament for all law schools, if that says anything about our commitment to the sport. There's a wide variety of selection when it comes to the type of league you're in and how competitive/drunk/friendly/sexist you want to be when you play.

I've heard that UT has a football team called the "Legal Eagles" that practices 5 times a week and has something like 20+ guys (no one plays both ways), and has attorneys as their coaches. I am guessing they play in the university intramurals.

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:40 am

desertlaw wrote:I go to UVa and people take softball pretty damn seriously here. We hold an annual tournament for all law schools, if that says anything about our commitment to the sport. There's a wide variety of selection when it comes to the type of league you're in and how competitive/drunk/friendly/sexist you want to be when you play.

I've heard that UT has a football team called the "Legal Eagles" that practices 5 times a week and has something like 20+ guys (no one plays both ways), and has attorneys as their coaches. I am guessing they play in the university intramurals.

I have heard about the UVA softball tournament. How many law schools come to the tournament? I live in the midwest. Do any of the schools up here (UM, ND, NU, etc) make the trip down?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:10 am

BeerMaker wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I go to UVa and people take softball pretty damn seriously here. We hold an annual tournament for all law schools, if that says anything about our commitment to the sport. There's a wide variety of selection when it comes to the type of league you're in and how competitive/drunk/friendly/sexist you want to be when you play.

I have heard about the UVA softball tournament. How many law schools come to the tournament? I live in the midwest. Do any of the schools up here (UM, ND, NU, etc) make the trip down?

Something like 50-70 schools come to the tournament? It could be more? It's crazy how many there are. Lots of student bar associations or actual law schools will pay to send a team to the tournament from what I've heard. I'm not really into softball, but you can find the tournament's website online I'm sure. UVa Law Softball or North Grounds Softball Tournament will probably get you to where you need to go.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 am

This is pretty important info for choosing a law school. It should rank somewhere after how relaxing a dump in the law school's bathroom is and before what font the school uses on its website.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:This is pretty important info for choosing a law school. It should rank somewhere after how relaxing a dump in the law school's bathroom is and before what font the school uses on its website.

I don't think he was going to use this information to choose a school. But I do get you...it's just something fun to talk about amongst people who can't get into Chicago. sigh. Anyways, I think Notre Dame? I've heard that they have padded football intramural teams...which I'm sure is open to law students as well as undergrads.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:52 am

Nightrunner wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This is pretty important info for choosing a law school. It should rank somewhere after how relaxing a dump in the law school's bathroom is and before what font the school uses on its website.

I think you're severely underrating the value of a relaxing dump. Easily as important as faculty credentials.

Didn't Leiter rank the top law school dump spots?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:58 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

I think you're severely underrating the value of a relaxing dump. Easily as important as faculty credentials.

Didn't Leiter rank the top law school dump spots?

It's all fun and games until you discover that the library has a private, well-maintained, single-stall bathroom. Yeah. I see your "employment prospects" and raise you "shitting in peace."

CactusPuppy

Postby CactusPuppy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:44 am

Yeah. I don't understand how someone would base their law school selection off of intramural sports...

my factors were 1) School rank 2) Financing/Employment 3) Location/Weather/Student Body

#3 made cornell a HELL NO.

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:22 am

mattviphky wrote:

I don't think he was going to use this information to choose a school. But I do get you...it's just something fun to talk about amongst people who can't get into Chicago. sigh. Anyways, I think Notre Dame? I've heard that they have padded football intramural teams...which I'm sure is open to law students as well as undergrads.

Exactly. There are so many dick heads that come on these threads and look for some hero comment to make them look sweet. They forgot about general discussion and that people are actually social.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm

BeerMaker wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

Exactly. There are so many dick heads that come on these threads and look for some hero comment to make them look sweet. They forgot about general discussion and that people are actually social.

Then put it in the Lounge and not in the "Choosing a Law School" forum.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:
mattviphky wrote:

Then put it in the Lounge and not in the "Choosing a Law School" forum.

This hero comment made you look sweet

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:It should rank somewhere after how relaxing a dump in the law school's bathroom is

I've always done my best work on the can. Don't knock it. Best part of my day.

naf34

Postby naf34 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:01 pm

What about Intramural Basketball?

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 pm

I have had a great time playing soccer and basketball at Berkeley. The Cal IM program is mixed with both graduates and undergrads, and so some of the leagues are insanely competitive.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Nightrunner wrote:

If there were objective rankings for this it definitely would have factored in my decision. it cracks me up that people don't get why I study at home and not in the library.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:52 pm

I went to UVa and fully vouch for the intramurals program and the athletic facilities in general. We basically had our own gym with basketball courts, artificial turf soccer fields, perfect softball fields - and that's just right around the law school. There are tons of other high-end facilities on the main part of grounds.

Softball is definitely the big draw at the law school but you can get involved in any sport and many law students do. We played men's and co-rec basketball basically every semester and came in second in the uni-wide league three times. :( The sign ups and everything are really smooth and it was a great experience, aside from predictably shoddy refereeing.

I also played intramural soccer (on turf fields under the lights at night), intramural flag football, and could have played a bunch of other stuff if I was so inclined.

I honestly have a hard time imagining any top law school matching UVa in terms of intramurals and athletic facilites. Maybe that's a bit naive but at the least it should give you an idea of how pleased I was with everything. And I'm not a UVa kool-aid drinker at all.

Oh and there are two "private" bathrooms on the second floor of the library where you can lock the door and take a dump in total peace in your own little sanctuary. Anyone that says this doesn't matter doesn't understand the value of a great public dump venue. Not a good look to be taking dumps next to classrooms worrying about esteemed professors walking by and recognizing your shoes and shit. Give me a locking door or give me constipation.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:05 pm

most of the bathrooms at my school only have two stalls. I guess I should be more mature but dropping one right next door to a dude who could cold call me a few minutes later just kinda sucks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”