W&l vs W&M vs UF

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

W&L, W&M, or UF

W&L with 40k/year
54%
W&M with fellowship (10k oos waiver,4k stipend+ 6k scholarship/year)
21%
UF (in state) with 14k/year
25%

Total votes: 28

skirkland

W&l vs W&M vs UF

Postby skirkland » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:54 pm

My primary concerns are:

Employment for my husband for the duration of law school. He currently works with Apple as tech support and would like to work with computer tech in some way.
Rankings
Employment after school. I would like to work for state or federal government ideally,although my understanding is that these jobs are becoming increasingly difficult to land at the moment

Some things to consider, or not,(I welcome input on the importance of the items listed below)

Both washington and lee and UF offer prosecution clinics while William and Mary offers only externships
My understanding is that most state attorneys in the central Florida area are UF graduates
My fellowship with william and Mary requires 8 hours of weekly work for 1L and offers the opportunity to work with faculty on research projects during 2&3L
I am not opposed to leaving FL, in fact I would welcome the move.
We have no children and would only require $25k in salary for my husband to keep us afloat.
I have undergraduate debt that will be carried forward...minimizing debt is definitely a consideration.

Thanks in advance for your input. I would also like to know of any other schools I should be considering. I have my app in at Wake Forest and intend to apply at UNC.

hookem7

Re: W&l vs W&M vs UF

Postby hookem7 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 pm

I think it comes down to where you would rather live: Florida or Virginia. If Florida, then UF would seem to be the big dog in that state (don't know how it compares to FSU). If Virginia area, then whichever of the W&'s you like better. All 3 of your choices are in fairly small college towns, so I have no idea about employment prospects in either. Seems like in state UF would be the cheapest, so I voted for it. Good luck with your decision!
Last edited by hookem7 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:58 pm

W&L is in a TINY town. When we visited, my wife was told that she basically would probably have to work in retail or something for 3 years. Super nice folks though.

W&M sounds like a good option.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 pm

hookem7 wrote:I think it comes down to where you would rather live: Florida or Virginia. If Florida, then UF would seem to be the big dog in that state (don't know how it compares to FSU). If Virginia area, then whichever of the W&'s you like better. All 3 of your choices are in fairly small college towns, so I have no idea about employment prospects in either. Seems like in state UF would be the cheapest, so I voted for it. Good luck with your decision!

Outside of cost this should be at the top of your concerns

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Just FYI, bigfed is basically nonexistent and local govt hiring here in FL is bad bad bad.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Grizz wrote:Just FYI, bigfed is basically nonexistent and local govt hiring here in FL is bad bad bad.

:|

clarion

Postby clarion » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 am

Aside from the whole FL vs. Va point (which is EXTREMELY relevant), although I see on your profile you're still waiting to hear from FSU re: Scholarship money, I'd really take them into account. First of all, as a current student there who visits friends at UF pretty often (my best friend goes there), I'd say Tallahassee is probably a better place to live considering you want gov't work and have children. That being said, the other side of the tracks in Tally is pretty dangerous, but really, as far as having places to eat and suburban areas and all that, I'd say put some thought into Tallahassee as well. Hated it for the first couple years I was up here (being from South Florida), but I've started to appreciate it for what it is.

(Just to clarify, I have NO negative feelings towards the Gators in spite of my Seminole affiliation :P)

Now at the same time, if you're really interested in gov't work and truly wouldn't mind moving to Va, I'd say that can't be too bad an idea either. Obviously you're near DC and, since W&L is offering a sizable amount of money, that might be a good idea too. Granted the CoL is probably not as low, the portability of a degree from Va when considering gov't work might be worth the extra sacrifice. But as far as W&L versus W&M, I'd vote W&L. Since, as a parent, (and assuming your fellowship is one of the ones with a working stipulation?) I doubt you'll want to spend the little time that you won't be studying and writing papers etc., working in a library rather than being with your family.

That's just my two cents. From the sound of it, you're in the kind of position that you should be fine regardless, but that's just the little I wanted to offer. Best of luck to you! :D

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:13 pm

kalvano wrote:W&L is in a TINY town. When we visited, my wife was told that she basically would probably have to work in retail or something for 3 years. Super nice folks though.

W&M is just as small, Williamsburg is a tiny tourist town. Both have jobs, but few, and are about an hour or two away from cities where your spouse could find a better job. I'm currently having the same dilemma between W&M and W&L.

Addy

Postby Addy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Glad to see that you applied at Cornell. Since you are considering W&L, you might as well throw your hat into the Virginia application pool too.

wired

Postby wired » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:08 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
kalvano wrote:W&L is in a TINY town. When we visited, my wife was told that she basically would probably have to work in retail or something for 3 years. Super nice folks though.

W&M is just as small, Williamsburg is a tiny tourist town. Both have jobs, but few, and are about an hour or two away from cities where your spouse could find a better job. I'm currently having the same dilemma between W&M and W&L.

This is wrong. We did an extensive job search for my spouse before deciding on WM over WL. There is much more within an hour of Williamsburg than Lexington. Williamsburg itself has more than Lexington, but more importantly it is 20 minutes from Hampton Roads.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:28 pm

If you don't wanna stay in Florida, why stay in Florida?

As to WM vs WL, OP needs to decide if the 45-50k in tuition debt she'll rack up at WM is worth the job opportunities her husband will get in the area. Now, if her husband can't find anything of value near Lexington, then that debt may be worth it, just for the sake of not having her husband be unemployed for three years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”