Army FLEP Selectee - Where to Apply

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ArmyOfficer

Army FLEP Selectee - Where to Apply

Postby ArmyOfficer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:57 am

I was recently selected for the Army Funded Legal Education Program. The Army will send me to law school and pay up to $30,000 for tuition. I want to go to the best school available. What schools should I be looking at?

I have a 4.0/167. I can accept scholarships for any school over $30,000 to get the tuition to that number, but I can not make up the difference out of pocked. I will stay on active duty so that will cover the cost of living and should get me in-state status in most states.

Thanks for your insight.

sunynp

Re: Army FLEP Selectee - Where to Apply

Postby sunynp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:05 am

What do you mean you cannot make up extra costs out of pocket? Can you take loans ? Are there states you prefer or have ties to? Do you plan on staying in the at
Army after you graduate or do you want a civilian job?

Supremo Skelator

Postby Supremo Skelator » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com pick the highest school with WEAK CONSIDER, apply to a few DENY s

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Also, where did you go to college?

Also also, for my own insight, why do you think you got selected? Did you tell them you want to stay in for 20 years? Did you tell them you would re-apply next year if you weren't accepted?

ArmyOfficer

Postby ArmyOfficer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:47 am

Its a legal stipulation that you can not pay the difference out of pocket - it applies to most Army funded civilian education programs.

As for why I got selected - I didn't tell them any of those things. My GPA and LSAT were both above average and I had a lot of what I think were really strong letters of recommendation. I am sure a previous combat deployment to Iraq rounded out my application.

navigator

Postby navigator » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:52 am

Well, your fortunate that the Army makes their selection this early! I'm an applicant for the Navy's LEP (which is still funded, but like anything else we like our acronyms to be a little different), and our selection board doesn't meet until Jan 31.

If you can get in-state tuition, it would be worth a shot to apply to Michigan, Virginia, and Texas. With your numbers you should get into one of them. The only thing going against you would be submitting your application this late in the cycle.

ArmyOfficer

Postby ArmyOfficer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 pm

I actually submitted a few applications already - UVA, William and Mary, WUSTL, and IU-B.

Got in to all so far except UVA - have an an application pending there since the last week in October. Waiting for word on scholarships from WUSTL. Would love to go there but need some scholarship love to get under the Army's cap.

I figured I could get into Michigan but it wouldn't be likely to get enough money for the Army to decide to send me there.

That sucks that the Navy board meets so late in the cycle.

navigator

Postby navigator » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:31 pm

My numbers are very similar to yours (167 / 3.84), and I've gotten into Gtown and GW. Still waiting to hear from Chicago (a reach), Duke (little less of a reach), Colorado, and BYU. Fortunately, the Navy's program doesn't put a cap on tuition (unfortunately, they only accept 3-4 candidates).

Anyway, that's awesome you got into the Army's program. I'm sure it's quite competitive.

thehappykid

Postby thehappykid » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:14 am

I can't help but say I am jealous. I have been hoping for FLEP through the Air Force. Be happy that your service caps are not $16k a year. The only hope is for a hefty scholarship/school willingness to work with you. Also, more importantly, the program was cut this year due the ever decreasing budget. Hopefully it will be around next year, but I've already applied/been accepted to a good amount of schools for fall 2012. Any experience out there with deferrals? Thanks. (I am looking at deferring to UT, Nortwestern, BU, WUSTL, and Georgetown.)

ArmyOfficerJohn

Postby ArmyOfficerJohn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

So this is about 5 years after the fact, but I am wondering how ArmyOfficer's FLEP situation was resolved? Do most FLEP selectees not wind up at elite schools due to budget constraints, etc? How much say do you really have in terms of where you go? How did the application process work in terms of LSAT prep/taking, FLEP application, school applications, etc? I have read AR27-1, but I am still left with a number of questions.

I am a year group '14 guy, so I am still a few years out from even applying for FLEP, but I am trying to get a leg up.

I appreciate any guidance you can give me. I hope everything worked out!

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:42 am

ArmyOfficerJohn wrote:Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

So this is about 5 years after the fact, but I am wondering how ArmyOfficer's FLEP situation was resolved? Do most FLEP selectees not wind up at elite schools due to budget constraints, etc? How much say do you really have in terms of where you go? How did the application process work in terms of LSAT prep/taking, FLEP application, school applications, etc? I have read AR27-1, but I am still left with a number of questions.

I am a year group '14 guy, so I am still a few years out from even applying for FLEP, but I am trying to get a leg up.

I appreciate any guidance you can give me. I hope everything worked out!

FLEP guys go to elite schools all the time, especially since the program is fully funded now. They don't use their discretion to keep you from going to Harvard, they use it to keep you from going to Cooley. Screw the AR, it's useless (as the always are). Read the MILPER it lays out the app pretty nicely. Take the LSAT as you normally would (scores are good forever, prep and take now and keep taking until you think you can't score better). The app is just a boilerplate memo with your info (ORB, OERS, DA Photo, etc.) attached, some LORs, and a why FLEP essay. You interview with the first O6 JAG in your area (Div or Corps JAG usually), get the packet endorsed by your BC and BDE CDR, and you're good to go. Apply early and often, and only take it if you're sure you want to stay in the army forever. Just FYI, I got a no-go with a 177 LSAT. They want ACOM OERs and really don't care about much else.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”