Detailed Employment Stats Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kurst

Bronze

Re: Detailed Employment Stats

Post by Kurst » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Analyzing the more detailed employment data that most top schools have recently published, I found that one of the most striking differences is the salary reporting rate:

Cornell and Texas are notably absent. Cornell's official employment data page remains under construction. Some preliminary Cornell employment data has surfaced, but that data does not include salary information. The exclusively percentage-based data that Texas publishes, meanwhile, is virtually useless. Texas does not disclose any raw numbers, nor does it disclose the percentage of Texas graduates who are unemployed. Its series of pie charts focus exclusively on graduates that obtain employment.

anstone1988

New

Post by anstone1988 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Kurst wrote:Analyzing the more detailed employment data that most top schools have recently published, I found that one of the most striking differences is the salary reporting rate:

Cornell and Texas are notably absent. Cornell's official employment data page remains under construction. Some preliminary Cornell employment data has surfaced, but that data does not include salary information. The exclusively percentage-based data that Texas publishes, meanwhile, is virtually useless. Texas does not disclose any raw numbers, nor does it disclose the percentage of Texas graduates who are unemployed. Its series of pie charts focus exclusively on graduates that obtain employment.
If Yale grads are getting such baller opportunities, which 0L's on TLS claim they are, why did so many not report? Same question goes to NYU and Berkeley.

countercouper

New

Post by countercouper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 am

^ I'm wondering this too.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:01 am

Kurst wrote:Analyzing the more detailed employment data that most top schools have recently published, I found that one of the most striking differences is the salary reporting rate:

Yeah, for some reason UT doesn't disclose employment numbers until you're enrolled. For C/O 2010, 71.3% of the class reported.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:18 am

anstone1988 wrote:If Yale grads are getting such baller opportunities, which 0L's on TLS claim they are, why did so many not report? Same question goes to NYU and Berkeley.
Don't feel like reporting that 50-60k clerkship salary?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 am

W&M (yikes)

--LinkRemoved--

gossard267

New

Post by gossard267 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 am

ganggreen wrote:W&M (yikes)

--LinkRemoved--
Stunningly poor.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:28 am

--LinkRemoved--
Yeah, but look at how broadly it places. Italy and nvm. i'm dyslexie.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 am

Nothing too surprising to me tbh. I guess Michigan being so high is, and UVA being so low, but otherwise I think it makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm

--LinkRemoved--
I don't think it's that awful, considering what we know about the state of the legal industry. Biglaw hiring basically shut down that year for non T-14. 68% of the class got a full-time job which required or preferred a law degree, without any short-term positions funded by the school. Taking out 150K worth of debt for those outcomes is ridiculous, but it is what it is (and I believe W&M is one of the cheapest T1 law schools in the country). W&M probably never did much better than 20% or so in Biglaw even in boom times.

The decision not to fund any short-term jobs is kind of eh--it makes the employment stats look more honest, but some of those job-seekers would have been helped out a lot by some kind of post-grad funding which let them work and get experience.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 pm

ahnhub wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
I don't think it's that awful, considering what we know about the state of the legal industry. Biglaw hiring basically shut down that year for non T-14. 68% of the class got a full-time job which required or preferred a law degree, without any short-term positions funded by the school. Taking out 150K worth of debt for those outcomes is ridiculous, but it is what it is (and I believe W&M is one of the cheapest T1 law schools in the country). W&M probably never did much better than 20% or so in Biglaw even in boom times.

The decision not to fund any short-term jobs is kind of eh--it makes the employment stats look more honest, but some of those job-seekers would have been helped out a lot by some kind of post-grad funding which let them work and get experience.
I generally agree. 55% full time, permanent, JD-required jobs is bad, no doubt, but it's probably comparable to its peers. Around 16% of their class making about 80k+ is meh but not too bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”