law school and future job location

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kdoyon812

law school and future job location

Postby kdoyon812 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 pm

I am wondering if anyone can talk a little bit about how much where you want to live and get a job should influence your decision of where to attend law school. For example, I would like to live in Boston after I get my degree. I am not getting into Harvard, depending on my LSAT I may have a chance at BC/BU. If I do not get into either of those, I am wondering what the best decision to make is:

I want to stay in the New England/Northeast area, so if I do not get into BC/BU, would it be best to go to the highest ranked school in the Northeast that I can get into, or should I go for Northeastern as it is right in Boston? For example, if I can get into, say, W&M, would it be better than going to Northeastern even though I'll be looking for a job in Boston? What about somewhere like Penn State/Temple? (I know Temple is not much higher ranked than Northeastern). Just trying to figure out what I should do if I don't get into BC/BU...just go for Northeastern or shoot for somewhere higher ranked in the Northeast.

Thanks.

Gail

Re: law school and future job location

Postby Gail » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

kdoyon812 wrote:I am wondering if anyone can talk a little bit about how much where you want to live and get a job should influence your decision of where to attend law school. For example, I would like to live in Boston after I get my degree. I am not getting into Harvard, depending on my LSAT I may have a chance at BC/BU. If I do not get into either of those, I am wondering what the best decision to make is:

Retake.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:53 am

kdoyon812 wrote:I am wondering if anyone can talk a little bit about how much where you want to live and get a job should influence your decision of where to attend law school. For example, I would like to live in Boston after I get my degree. I am not getting into Harvard, depending on my LSAT I may have a chance at BC/BU. If I do not get into either of those, I am wondering what the best decision to make is:

I want to stay in the New England/Northeast area, so if I do not get into BC/BU, would it be best to go to the highest ranked school in the Northeast that I can get into, or should I go for Northeastern as it is right in Boston? For example, if I can get into, say, W&M, would it be better than going to Northeastern even though I'll be looking for a job in Boston? What about somewhere like Penn State/Temple? (I know Temple is not much higher ranked than Northeastern). Just trying to figure out what I should do if I don't get into BC/BU...just go for Northeastern or shoot for somewhere higher ranked in the Northeast.

Thanks.

I think you stay local. Outside the top schools, law school reputation is regional. People in Boston know more about Northeastern than comparable schools outside of Boston. Also, in terms of the job-search, doing interviews would be infinitely easier if you went to school in Boston. You would be able to spend time during the school year getting to know local lawyers and making connections. If you're set on staying in Boston, absolutely go to a Boston school.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Firms choose local schools over higher ranked institutions in many instances (Ref: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... t1111/#/16).

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:30 pm

mrtoren wrote:Firms choose local schools over higher ranked institutions in many instances (Ref: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... t1111/#/16).

You are conflating sheer numbers in hiring with firms actually "choosing" local schools over elite schools. Nowhere in that arcticle does it say that firms are turning down grads of higher ranked schools for local lower ranked ones.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Wholigan wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Firms choose local schools over higher ranked institutions in many instances (Ref: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... t1111/#/16).

You are conflating sheer numbers in hiring with firms actually "choosing" local schools over elite schools. Nowhere in that arcticle does it say that firms are turning down grads of higher ranked schools for local lower ranked ones.

He's correct, to a degree. Almost no firm will turn down a T14 student in favor of a regional student, but once you get beyond the T14, regional becomes much more important.

For instance, Wake Forest may be ranked in the 30's and XYZ regional school in the 90's, but firms from the area that XYZ is in will almost certainly prefer grads from XYZ. So they are turning down someone from a higher-ranked school, yes, but if someone from a T14 came knocking, then that would probably edge out both XYZ grad and the Wake Forest grad.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

He's correct, to a degree. Almost no firm will turn down a T14 student in favor of a regional student, but once you get beyond the T14, regional becomes much more important.

For instance, Wake Forest may be ranked in the 30's and XYZ regional school in the 90's, but firms from the area that XYZ is in will almost certainly prefer grads from XYZ. So they are turning down someone from a higher-ranked school, yes, but if someone from a T14 came knocking, then that would probably edge out both XYZ grad and the Wake Forest grad.

My point is directed more toward schools outside of the T14 and outside of the immediate region. Going to William & Mary over a Chicago TT, with Chicago as the desired market, is stupid.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:02 pm

If you're dead set on Boston then just go with the regional school (Northeastern). If you just prefer Boston but are open minded about living somewhere else, go to the higher ranked school (esp. if you have established ties to Boston, you may still be able to make it back one day).

kdoyon812

Postby kdoyon812 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:35 pm

kalvano wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Gail wrote:

Retake.

Credited; don't go to Northeastern under any circumstances.

kdoyon812

Postby kdoyon812 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:29 pm

That's a bit of an objective statement to make, isn't it? Under ANY circumstances? What if I get a great scholarship, can live at home while I'm studying there, want to work in the Boston area, and plan on pursing public interest? It would seem that those would be circumstances under which it would be an intelligent decision to attend Northeastern. That's not necessarily my situation, I feel like I find those types of comments all too often...telling people that there is NO good reason to attend law school X. Maybe I'm completely off base here, but in the very least those comments are not at all helpful without any sort of attempt to explain your reasoning.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:31 pm

kdoyon812 wrote:That's a bit of an objective statement to make, isn't it? Under ANY circumstances? What if I get a great scholarship, can live at home while I'm studying there, want to work in the Boston area, and plan on pursing public interest? It would seem that those would be circumstances under which it would be an intelligent decision to attend Northeastern. That's not necessarily my situation, I feel like I find those types of comments all too often...telling people that there is NO good reason to attend law school X. Maybe I'm completely off base here, but in the very least those comments are not at all helpful without any sort of attempt to explain your reasoning.

Because you have a solid shot at not getting ANY legal job at all.

Also, PI is as competitive as firms, if not more so.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:15 pm

mrtoren wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Wholigan wrote:

My point is directed more toward schools outside of the T14 and outside of the immediate region. Going to William & Mary over a Chicago TT, with Chicago as the desired market, is stupid.

Well if that's what you mean, I agree with you. I was talking more about T20-ish and up.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:52 pm

kdoyon812 wrote:That's a bit of an objective statement to make, isn't it? Under ANY circumstances? What if I get a great scholarship, can live at home while I'm studying there, want to work in the Boston area, and plan on pursing public interest? It would seem that those would be circumstances under which it would be an intelligent decision to attend Northeastern. That's not necessarily my situation, I feel like I find those types of comments all too often...telling people that there is NO good reason to attend law school X. Maybe I'm completely off base here, but in the very least those comments are not at all helpful without any sort of attempt to explain your reasoning.

Even if you don't incur any debt, you still waste 3 years of your life if you graduate law school and can't find a job. Legal hiring is set up such that if you can't find a job by or shortly after graduation, you will probably never have a meaningful career as a lawyer.

Sadly, for a Northeastern grad, this is a very real possibility right now. You will have a much better shot at a legal career if you retake and go to BC / BU (or better yet, a T14).

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Grizz wrote:Also, PI is as competitive as firms, if not more so.

You had me until this line.

Bullshit.

decibel8710

Postby decibel8710 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Having lived in MA for 20+ years I can tell you something that everyone on TLS will probably shout me down for...check out Suffolk. Rankings-wise, yes they're fourth tier. As far as anyone in New England is concerned however, nobody cares. Suffolk grads are everywhere in the New England state governments, DA offices, as well as private firms based in Boston and even New York. Honestly I think a Suffolk grad would get taken over a Northeastern grad in Boston any day, their alumni network is huge.

landla

Postby landla » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:53 pm

decibel8710 wrote:Having lived in MA for 20+ years I can tell you something that everyone on TLS will probably shout me down for...check out Suffolk. Rankings-wise, yes they're fourth tier. As far as anyone in New England is concerned however, nobody cares. Suffolk grads are everywhere in the New England state governments, DA offices, as well as private firms based in Boston and even New York. Honestly I think a Suffolk grad would get taken over a Northeastern grad in Boston any day, their alumni network is huge.

Agreed. Also from MA here - nobody (including people in the legal community, just removed from law schools - lawyers, judges, etc.) around here realizes (or believes when you tell them) that the school is ranked in the fourth tier. I'd say Suffolk over Northeastern for work in Massachusetts.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”