UVA vs Vandy for PI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beta

UVA vs Vandy for PI

Postby beta » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 pm

hey guys...
i am having a hard time deciding between the two schools. i realize it is early since vandy's $$ package doesn't come until later (and no money from UVA), but i am leaning towards vanderbilt due to personal reasons (SO is in nashville, love the city, etc.). i won't be graduating with lots of debt but any $$ offered is obviously a plus.

my main question is: will it be significantly harder to pursue public interest opportunities at vandy vs. uva? can anyone at either of these schools provide me with more information on the public interest scene at his/her school? i know uva's PI program is stronger--but will i be at a huge disadvantage if i choose vandy over uva? i'm mostly interested in working with domestic non-profits, NGOs.

any thoughts/help would be really appreciated. thanks a ton.

Master Tofu

Re: UVA vs Vandy for PI

Postby Master Tofu » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 am

Vandy.

a) Personal ties.

b) Lower debt burden.

c) Urban areas typically carry more opportunities for non-profit experience.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 am

Master Tofu wrote:Vandy.

a) Personal ties.

b) Lower debt burden.

c) Urban areas typically carry more opportunities for non-profit experience.

+1
Vandy doesn't have the easy DC ties for big non profit stuff, but there will be a ton of local stuff to be involved in and build a track record. UVA you probably have a better "chance" in general, but given your situation, it sounds like Vandy with money is the right move.

beta

Postby beta » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:13 am

good to have some confirmation on what i was thinking...thanks for the advice!

if anyone else has any other thoughts, id love to hear them!

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:27 am

Have you compared the schools' LRAP? From a cursory glace, UVA's seems a LOT better than Vandy's. It seems like Vandy covers 50% at most, while UVA pays 100% if you make less than $55k, gives assistance up to $75k.

Though I agree that the opportunity to gain experience/connections during the school year + have less debt living with your SO would make Vanderbilt very appealing.

Do you want to work in DC/the South/somewhere else?

beta

Postby beta » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:20 am

luxxe wrote:Have you compared the schools' LRAP? From a cursory glace, UVA's seems a LOT better than Vandy's. It seems like Vandy covers 50% at most, while UVA pays 100% if you make less than $55k, gives assistance up to $75k.

Though I agree that the opportunity to gain experience/connections during the school year + have less debt living with your SO would make Vanderbilt very appealing.

Do you want to work in DC/the South/somewhere else?

UVAs LRAP is much better than Vandys, but I think COL combined with (probably) some money from Vandy would even things out.

I have no desire to work in DC which I think is why I'm leaning more towards Vandy as well. Does anyone know how much prestige factors into PI hiring? Is it more about one's track record or how "prestigious/highly ranked" one's school is?
(in other words, would UVA help me out way more just because its UVA on my resume?)

thanks again! super helpful to think this out via TLS, haha.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:43 am

I am a 1L at Vandy. The school has a very good career services department. They are very active in helping students. I don't know much about UVA so I can't comment on which is the better decision, but Vandy certainly wouldn't be a bad decision. Congrats on the good options.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 am

Vandy's LRAP is atrocious so be mindful of that. The cap is something like $50k and at that point they only pay 25%. The max they'll help you out is 50% if you make $32,000 or less IIRC.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:03 am

Sure Vandy is great for Nashville if you get a job there... but what if you fail?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:23 pm

First, wait until you receive Vanderbilt's scholarship offer, then decide how committed you are to PI & whether or not you will need LRAP.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:03 pm

UVA is obviously the better school, but I doubt it will make that much difference if you are set on PI (if you really are set, lots of people think that they are set until they find out about over cool opportunities at firms). I don't know, but I would doubt that the opportunities are all that different from either place. UVA's public service center is very active, but most of the people here are trying to go to firms. I i think that vandy's career service center is very good as well. Note: (while Vandy likely is too) UVA is an awesome place to study law and you will have fun here.

bottom line: probably a personal decision, UVA wins hands down if the money is even close (especially with our LRAP), but the personal reasons may be strong enough to legitimately overcome this

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:First, wait until you receive Vanderbilt's scholarship offer, then decide how committed you are to PI & whether or not you will need LRAP.

IIRC, Vandy typically maxes out scholly at like $25k/yr + a $5k stipend for 1L summer, which would still leaves like $125k of debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”