IP, still possible? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
icpb

Bronze

IP, still possible?

Post by icpb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 am

Is it possible for an economics/government major from a top 10 UG to go into IP after attending a top law school such as HYS or Berkeley?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Re: IP, still possible?

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:59 am

icpb wrote:Is it possible for an economics/government major from a top 10 UG to go into IP after attending a top law school such as HYS or Berkeley?
I'm 90% sure that you have to have a hard science bachelors to go into IP law.

I know that my UG will allow alumni (particular law students) to go back and will confer a BS in a hard science if we take the upper division stuff. They definitely waive the GE classes and I've heard of people successfully negotiating away lower division reqs with the registrar's office. So check with your UG if you want to pursue this route.

ETA: Not sure how credible/up-to-date this is but here's a list of requirements for the patent bar posted on a bar prep website:

http://www.taprecourse.com/exam-facts/5 ... patent-bar
Last edited by JDizzle2015 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:02 am

"IP" is very broad. Patent prosecution is pretty much the only avenue that is 'closed' without a technical degree. There's still copyrights, trademarks, and litigation of all kind.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 am

While it is true that IP is a broad umbrella that includes non-science areas such as Copyright and Trademark, these areas are not the areas with increased demand that account for the IP golden-ticket phenomenon. Thus, if you are interested in IP for the employment boost, you will not find one.

Even within these seemingly unscientific areas, a science or technology background is often preferred, because the vast majority of any firms Copyright practice is likely based on computer software, and not sculpture or films.

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:25 am

Cupidity wrote:While it is true that IP is a broad umbrella that includes non-science areas such as Copyright and Trademark, these areas are not the areas with increased demand that account for the IP golden-ticket phenomenon. Thus, if you are interested in IP for the employment boost, you will not find one.

Even within these seemingly unscientific areas, a science or technology background is often preferred, because the vast majority of any firms Copyright practice is likely based on computer software, and not sculpture or films.
Yes and no. Those areas have more of the typical lawyers, suckers for prestige etc. Patent prosecution is kinda like the engineering community. Prestige will take you longer in those areas (even patent litigation) than a science/ tech background.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:29 am

Cupidity wrote: Thus, if you are interested in IP for the employment boost, you will not find one.
This is true, however.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 am

The patent bar is a separate exam. To take that exam you must take a certain amount of hard science classes. There are several options.
http://patbar.com/uspto-patent-bar-exam ... ents.shtml

I began as a physics major and graduated econ/polisci/latin and have thought about going back for the hard science classes. Not worth it right now. Few law schools offer that many out-of-school credits. You could always get a masters and take the required courses.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 pm

icpb wrote:Is it possible for an economics/government major from a top 10 UG to go into IP after attending a top law school such as HYS or Berkeley?

It is very possible, but unlikely. Go to those schools and teach IP at another law school but practicing it seems hard to do when Patent attorneys in many instances are more qualified to do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”