Is Washington and Lee underrated?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ThreeRivers

Is Washington and Lee underrated?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Looking at employment statistics on law school transparency of schools I'm seriously interested in:

W&L appears to have better employment statistics than ND, W&M, WUSL, and Minn

Is this accurate / reliable?

They offered me 20 k a year and I'm now seriously considering them....

AriGoldButNicer

Re: Is Washington and Lee underrated?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:32 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Looking at employment statistics on law school transparency of schools I'm seriously interested in:

W&L appears to have better employment statistics than ND, W&M, WUSL, and Minn

Is this accurate / reliable?

They offered me 20 k a year and I'm now seriously considering them....

Not accurate, but those schools aren't "great", just a little better. If 20k/yr vs sticker, the 20k. But these are all semi-regional.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:36 pm

W&L is a fine place to go so long as gaining employment as a lawyer isn't a primary motivation for attending law school.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:50 pm

My numbers are 167 / 3.44 so I realized that I'd have to apply to mostly regional schools, all of these are in places I wouldn't mind living

Cycle isn't complete (check my profile if like), Minn has given me 23 k a year, the rest haven't even responded to me yet

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Originally I'd agree, but after comparing LS Transperency their numbers appears higher than them

Compare Minn to W&L for example

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

If individuals are saying these numbers aren't accurate do they care to elaborate (85% reporting from W&L is one reason why their employment stats look better imo)

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Id take min bec they have a home. You might get usc/gw though.

asdflawyer

Postby asdflawyer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:55 pm

I'd say W&L is on the same level as W&M, ND, WUSTL and MIN

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:56 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Id take min bec they have a home. You might get usc/gw though.

Not interested in West coast... GW dinged me

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:Id take min bec they have a home. You might get usc/gw though.

Not interested in West coast... GW dinged me

Those sob's. You should ding them back! I'd try applying to all those 20-40 schools then where you'd wanna work, and take the biggest scholly.

I'm no expert, but if you go to WandL you're beneath a crap load of schools for a small region, one of which is me and I'd eat your babies as would many of my peers. I'd try to get more $ or shoot for Georgia/Florida where there's less competition if you can't grt a top 14. Maybe cornell on a pipe?

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:04 am

Not really interested in living in those places listed above...

But yea... I was thinking originally a higher ranked school like Minnesota would be better than W&L for the reasons mentioned (Minnesota owning their market), also was thinking schools like ND / WUSL would definitely be better, just kind of confused why law school transparency seems to show the opposite

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 am

I'm not in law school yet but I don't think going to w&l will put you beneath a lot of schools in the area, W&L's new 3L program appeals to a lot of firms, and even though we don't see it now, I believe within a year or two W&L will probably be moving up a few places in rank, hopefully, since this is probably where I'll be attending..lol

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:30 pm

anjmissy wrote:I'm not in law school yet but I don't think going to w&l will put you beneath a lot of schools in the area, W&L's new 3L program appeals to a lot of firms, and even though we don't see it now, I believe within a year or two W&L will probably be moving up a few places in rank, hopefully, since this is probably where I'll be attending..lol

In VA its behind UVA and pretty even with W&M... idk if firms will really care about their new 3L program tbh, I'm just intrigued by fact its employments numbers appear to be above their peers / those slightly above them in the rankings

Ky003

Postby Ky003 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 pm

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 pm

asdflawyer wrote:I'd say W&L is on the same level as W&M, ND, WUSTL and MIN

lolno

I guarantee we placed better in biglaw this year. ND and W&L are in different categories; W&L is closer to IUB while ND is closer to GW or USC

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Can someone comment as to whether LST is that useful? The market in 2008/2009 was quite better than it is now, yet LST's stats only go up until 2009.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 pm

tennisking88 wrote:Can someone comment as to whether LST is that useful? The market in 2008/2009 was quite better than it is now, yet LST's stats only go up until 2009.

It's not useful.

This is useful: http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Just assume that everything is much, much worse now. There is strong anecdotal evidence that many firms responded to reducing their class sizes by reducing the pool of schools they recruited from, which means the better the school the less likely it was to suffer a material impact from any given firm's reduction in hiring. As such there is plausible speculation that the schools just outside of the T14 were hit disproportionately hard by the economic down turn.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 am

thesealocust wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:Can someone comment as to whether LST is that useful? The market in 2008/2009 was quite better than it is now, yet LST's stats only go up until 2009.

It's not useful.

This is useful: http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Just assume that everything is much, much worse now. There is strong anecdotal evidence that many firms responded to reducing their class sizes by reducing the pool of schools they recruited from, which means the better the school the less likely it was to suffer a material impact from any given firm's reduction in hiring. As such there is plausible speculation that the schools just outside of the T14 were hit disproportionately hard by the economic down turn.

Wow, that is useful.... I wish there was some updated form of it.

I know they all have went done, but interesting to see other (Especially more recent years)... I'm sure some schools have "off" years

Return to “Choosing a Law School”