Comparing Schools in Boston

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kdoyon812

Comparing Schools in Boston

Postby kdoyon812 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 pm

I would really like to attend law school in the Boston area, so I'm wondering if someone could maybe give me a run down of the schools in that area. I know the ordering, BU/BC, Northeastern, Suffolk, NESL, but am wondering how much better or worse each is than the other, most specifically when looking at Northeastern. I think my LSAT score is probably going to most likely be on target with Northeastern, and their Co-Op program really interests me as well which is making me think that, though I don't have my LSAT score, it is probably my number one school. I still plan to apply to BC, most likely BU, and possibly Suffolk as well (most likely not NESL). If I were to get into BC or BU would it be crazy to go to Northeastern instead? What if I get a lot of money at Suffolk or NESL but get accepted at Northeastern, would it be a big mistake to try to save money instead of going to the better ranked school? I still have to wait for my LSAT but am trying to do some research to plan accordingly once it comes in. Thanks for the help.

marmot8

Re: Comparing Schools in Boston

Postby marmot8 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am

I hear Harvard has a law school that's pretty good too.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:09 am

Boston:

Harvard >>>>>>>>>>> BC/BU >>>>>>>>>>>> Northeastern >> Suffolk >>>>>> New England

For private sector employment I think Northeastern and Suffolk are pretty equal... that being neither does particularly well. The coop program at Northeastern is cool, but its strength is placing in PI jobs in Mass. The problem is hiring freezes and budget cuts at PI organizations means that they're in worse shape than usual. BC/BU are by no means a sure bet, but they give you a much, much better shot at being employed than the others.

Between Suffolk and Northeastern I would go to the cheaper... I wouldn't put New England in the equation at all.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Northeastern is also really stingy with financial aid, so don't expect it to be significantly cheaper than BU/BC.

kdoyon812

Postby kdoyon812 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 pm

With a 3.8 LSDAS GPA can anyone speculate as to what LSAT score I will need to have a reasonable chance at BU/BC?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 pm

kdoyon812 wrote:With a 3.8 LSDAS GPA can anyone speculate as to what LSAT score I will need to have a reasonable chance at BU/BC?

lawschoolnumbers.com

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:03 pm

kdoyon812 wrote:With a 3.8 LSDAS GPA can anyone speculate as to what LSAT score I will need to have a reasonable chance at BU/BC?

165+ should get you in. 167 to be sure.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:14 pm

hate these threads, still bitter never gotten off that northeastern waitlist

Return to “Choosing a Law School”