NYU vs Columbia (both sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or Columbia?

NYU
31%
Columbia
69%

Total votes: 200

zanda

Re: NYU vs Columbia (both sticker)

Postby zanda » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:49 am

I've only been a student at NYU, so I can't say one is better than the other. I've loved NYU. In my 2 and a half years here, all but 2 of my profs had been at least very good if not better. The students are generally cool, the neighborhood is great, and though the market sucks it sucks a lot less at schools like CNN (which I'm sure you already knew).

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:51 am

zanda wrote:I've only been a student at NYU, so I can't say one is better than the other. I've loved NYU. In my 2 and a half years here, all but 2 of my profs had been at least very good if not better. The students are generally cool, the neighborhood is great, and though the market sucks it sucks a lot less at schools like CNN (which I'm sure you already knew).

*Yawn* tl;dr

sky7

Postby sky7 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:53 am

Do you enjoy impressing people that know nothing about law?

If so, choose Columbia. Milk that lay prestige!

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 am

JoeMo wrote:
Guchster wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Anyway, 0Ls, go to Columbia.

To clarify, that is short hand for the University of the District of Columbia (http://www.law.udc.edu/).

ETA: You can see what a kickass school it is right on their homepage!

Ranked 10th in the U.S. for Clinics and 2nd for Diversity by US News & World Report
3 Top-Ten Rankings in The Princeton

And the neighborhood is nice! viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126480

OMG... that thread gave me the scareds. People think like that?

Wow, get your facts str8. the neighborhood's nice-ness is 2nd only to its bar passage rate. 36% MD bar passage rate in 2005 at UDC. (quoted from that forum, so you know this is accurate). Far higher than its peer schools! I'd like to see NYLS numbers!

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:05 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:So I am understanding correctly that the decision is between UDC and NYLS?

UDC is better for public interest and NYLS is better for biglaw.

Correct. But either one will open up doors to pretty much every firm and every PI organization/government job. You really can't go wrong with these as options.

I lost it here. Bravo.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:08 am

Perdevise wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:So I am understanding correctly that the decision is between UDC and NYLS?

UDC is better for public interest and NYLS is better for biglaw.

Correct. But either one will open up doors to pretty much every firm and every PI organization/government job. You really can't go wrong with these as options.

I lost it here. Bravo.

Yeah i lost it here too, I mean these posters assume everyone will be finish in top 50% of zer class, but lets be honest, 1/2 the class will not finish in the top half (I studied stats in college, bro).

Can anyone tell me, though, if you need to finish in top 50% for big law at UDC? I think after torts, I'll be around 79% (bottom). Advice?

*thread hijack* (taking notes form Dixie)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 am

Yeah, I see little to no reason to enroll at NYU, if you've gotten into Columbia. Can we have a list of the reasons you'd want to enroll in NYU, given this?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:21 pm

ahduth wrote:Yeah, I see little to no reason to enroll at NYU, if you've gotten into Columbia. Can we have a list of the reasons you'd want to enroll in NYU, given this?

#1 - You thinking going to NYU would be ironic.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:27 pm

ahduth wrote:Yeah, I see little to no reason to enroll at NYU, if you've gotten into Columbia. Can we have a list of the reasons you'd want to enroll in NYU, given this?

Because there are people like you at Columbia...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 pm

kaiser wrote:

No no no, there are people like me at NYU. I have no clue what goes on uptown.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:33 pm

ahduth wrote:
kaiser wrote:

No no no, there are people like me at NYU. I have no clue what goes on uptown.

Haha, gotcha. To be honest though, I think its the lay prestige that would have ultimately swayed me if I had the choice of both. I mean, I go to NYU, and its awesome. No doubt about it. But if I had no connection to either school, I think I probably would have been swayed by the prestigewhore in me. I don't really care about neighborhoods all that much, and getting biglaw jobs in a decent economy is easy out of either school. So I could certainly see why, if I had to make the unbiased choice of where to attend, I probably would have chosen uptown.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm pretty sure you're just being ridiculous, but you picked NYU over CLS, right?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167755&start=25

(I like NYU better than CLS and am desperate for validation... :oops: )

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:41 pm

kaiser wrote:

U mad 2?!

Why is everyone mad at NYU? Dixie, come get your cousin.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:47 pm

snehpets wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're just being ridiculous, but you picked NYU over CLS, right?

They're both shitty scam schools. CHECK UR FACTS! There's plenty of info about this in the forum. You just need to forum search "scam schools" also New York Times and Washington Post has great info about why it's not worth it to get a law degree at these kinds of places.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Guchster wrote:
snehpets wrote:

They're both shitty scam schools. CHECK UR FACTS! There's plenty of info about this in the forum. You just need to forum search "scam schools" also New York Times and Washington Post has great info about why it's not worth it to get a law degree at these kinds of places.

[img]

:lol:

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:29 pm

snehpets wrote:

Yeah, ahduth chose NYU over CLS. I would have, but I didn't get into CLS, so I didn't actually have the choice to make. Plenty of people choose NYU over CLS every year. If you have the choice between NYU and CLS you can't make a bad decision.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Also this:

Guchster wrote:

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:45 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
snehpets wrote:

Yeah, ahduth chose NYU over CLS. I would have, but I didn't get into CLS, so I didn't actually have the choice to make. Plenty of people choose NYU over CLS every year. If you have the choice between NYU and CLS you can't make a bad decision.

I did too. I used to be kinda defensive about it but honestly NYU just made a tiny bit more sense for me for a couple of reasons. At least to me, they feel like similar but still distinct schools. I'd be surprised if you can visit both and not have some gut feeling about where you'd be happier.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:13 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
snehpets wrote:

I did too. I used to be kinda defensive about it but honestly NYU just made a tiny bit more sense for me for a couple of reasons. At least to me, they feel like similar but still distinct schools. I'd be surprised if you can visit both and not have some gut feeling about where you'd be happier.

Dixie you're "insufferable"!

jbc7

Postby jbc7 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 pm

serious answers please

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:41 pm

go to whichever school you like more...both are outstanding.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:50 am

The correct answer is get into both and then use the CLS acceptance to squeeze a little money out of NYU. Then go to NYU and save $25k...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:03 am

jbc7 wrote:serious answers please

Always pick the Ivy over the state school.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:39 pm

ahduth wrote:
jbc7 wrote:serious answers please

Always pick the Ivy over the state school.

You're right ahduth, what's 25k when you can have an IVY LEAGUE DEGREE! The doors that will open are worth 25k ALONE.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Curious1 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:To be semi-helpful, just visit the two schools. CLS = quieter, shittier neighborhood, but you get a campus, so that's cool. NYU = busier, better nightlife, but you get hipsters, so very many hipsters. Also, if you go to NYU you have to deal with me, so that's another negative. It's looking like CLS is the clear winner upon further review.

Ugh hipsters.

Some of them are hot though.

You're too mainstream for them.

And OP is clearly a troll.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”