NYU vs Columbia (both sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU or Columbia?

NYU
32%
Columbia
68%

Total votes: 209

djaja

New

Re: NYU vs Columbia (both sticker)

Post by djaja » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 am

If NYC makes you think of Woody Allen, go to CLS. If it makes you think Lady Gaga, go to NYU.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:52 am

I always figured that if a prospective student is looking at peer schools (similar rank, placement, etc.) at a similar price, the student should attend the university that is more prestigious as a whole. Here, that would be Columbia.

djaja

New

Post by djaja » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I always figured that if a prospective student is looking at peer schools (similar rank, placement, etc.) at a similar price, the student should attend the university that is more prestigious as a whole. Here, that would be Columbia.
The people who tend to make decisions in this manner are usually people without obligations/responsibility who are coming straight from undergrad. Or maybe they took a year off and didn't really do anything substantive and are going to law school with only the vaguest sense of what they want to do.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 pm

djaja wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I always figured that if a prospective student is looking at peer schools (similar rank, placement, etc.) at a similar price, the student should attend the university that is more prestigious as a whole. Here, that would be Columbia.
The people who tend to make decisions in this manner are usually people without obligations/responsibility who are coming straight from undergrad. Or maybe they took a year off and didn't really do anything substantive and are going to law school with only the vaguest sense of what they want to do.
There's nothing wrong with making decisions this way, depending on your circumstances. Prestige is one of only a few factors that has a nearly certain payoff. Most other factors are subject to considerable uncertainty.

djaja

New

Post by djaja » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Never said there's anything inherently wrong about taking prestige into account. It's just one of those things that you can talk about on the internet but you probably don't want to be heard talking about in real life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:35 pm

djaja wrote:Never said there's anything inherently wrong about taking prestige into account. It's just one of those things that you can talk about on the internet but you probably don't want to be heard talking about in real life.
I agree with this. I think it can really go either way. There's nothing wrong with picking a school based on prestige, all other factors being equal, but there's also nothing wrong with picking amongst peer schools for various "soft" reasons. That seems to be the consensus, anyway.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:46 pm

djaja wrote:
The people who tend to make comments in this manner are usually people with slightly more work experience or responsibilities than others on this site who use this insignificant fact to make snotty, laughable, irrelevant judgments about others choices.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:00 pm

kwais wrote:
djaja wrote:
The people who tend to make comments in this manner are usually people with slightly more who think they have more work experience or responsibilities than others on this site who use this insignificant fact to make snotty, laughable, irrelevant judgments about others choices.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 pm

The answer is Harvard

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:33 pm

The prestige thing actually cut the other way for me. I was about 50/50 between CLS and NYU and couldn't decide which I preferred, but then I realized that part of the appeal of Columbia was that I could brag about it more easily to non-law people. That seemed like a douchey reason to pick a school and I figured, if not for that lay prestige consideration, NYU would be the clear winner for me. So I went there.

lilhmoney

New

Post by lilhmoney » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:00 am

Alright, putting aside important matters like hotness and hipsters...I have a public interest background that I would like to pursue in law school. I'd probably like to work in Big Law immediately afterwards, and then go back to PI later in life. Also, I deeply care about prestige to lawyers, lay people, New Yorkers, and non-New Yorkers, not that I would admit this IRL. My question is, does Columbia have any interesting PI opportunities for current students, or is it really just not part of the culture there?

lilhmoney

New

Post by lilhmoney » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:01 am

Also, is there a more serious post on this topic that anyone could link me to?

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:34 am

birdlaw117 wrote:To be semi-helpful, just visit the two schools. CLS = quieter, shittier neighborhood, but you get a campus, so that's cool. NYU = busier, better nightlife, but you get hipsters, so very many hipsters. Also, if you go to NYU you have to deal with me, so that's another negative. It's looking like CLS is the clear winner upon further review.
hipsters left the village a long time ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:53 pm

hannahmontana wrote:Alright, putting aside important matters like hotness and hipsters...I have a public interest background that I would like to pursue in law school. I'd probably like to work in Big Law immediately afterwards, and then go back to PI later in life. Also, I deeply care about prestige to lawyers, lay people, New Yorkers, and non-New Yorkers, not that I would admit this IRL. My question is, does Columbia have any interesting PI opportunities for current students, or is it really just not part of the culture there?
You'll be fine at CLS. There are plenty of public interest opportunities there. Most of them just arise from being in NYC; you can do externships, clinics, internships, whatever. You'd probably just be around more like-minded people at NYU (although honestly, your level of commitment to public interest sounds about like most law students', whether at CLS or NYU or anywhere else—i.e., "I'll save the world... sometime").

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:06 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
hannahmontana wrote:Alright, putting aside important matters like hotness and hipsters...I have a public interest background that I would like to pursue in law school. I'd probably like to work in Big Law immediately afterwards, and then go back to PI later in life. Also, I deeply care about prestige to lawyers, lay people, New Yorkers, and non-New Yorkers, not that I would admit this IRL. My question is, does Columbia have any interesting PI opportunities for current students, or is it really just not part of the culture there?
You'll be fine at CLS. There are plenty of public interest opportunities there. Most of them just arise from being in NYC; you can do externships, clinics, internships, whatever. You'd probably just be around more like-minded people at NYU (although honestly, your level of commitment to public interest sounds about like most law students', whether at CLS or NYU or anywhere else—i.e., "I'll save the world... sometime").
The return of dixiecup!!!!!!!! I promise not to troll you though this time, but you are among my top favorite poassters.

Dixiecup is always right.

I posted some shit about public interest at CLS in Columbia 1Ls taking question thread. I'm too lazy to copy and paste it here so go see it there. Basically, CLS = NYU. Same type of people (smart, huge assholes, save the world and make money, etc.), same city, same opportunities. If you wanted to do big law, you'll be in the same position as you would had you gone to NYU. If you want to do PI at CLS, you'll get the same opportunities as you would at NYU.

Difference here at CLS is that our BigLaw OCS is a machine and hardcore while our PI career services (called SJI) is total shit. CLS is really trying to make it better--they throw tons of money/personnel at it. But if you come to CLS knowing what type of PI you want to do, you don't need a very robust program to find the opportunities you want to do. While this doesn't influence the opportunities you get, it does persuade those middle-of-the-road people who might want to do both into doing Big Law (tricking them out of PI). Shitload of CLS people come in PI and leave BigLaw. It's probably like that at most places. But I think if you went to NYU, there would be less of a chance of this happening (i.e., CLS's PI career fair is at NYU next month! lolz)

I personally would go to NYU based off TLS poasters. I'm just too lazy to move, now.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Note: if this thread becomes too srs bsns, I'm going to beckon birdlaw, kwais, ahduth, and my michigan brethren to troll the fuck out of this thread to encourage people to use the 'search forum' button that TLS has generously provided.
Last edited by Guchster on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tempur_three

New

Post by tempur_three » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Guchster wrote:Note: if this thread becomes too srs bsns, I'm going to beckon birdlaw, kwais, and my michigan brethren to troll the fuck out of this thread to encourage people to use the 'search forum' button that TLS has generously provided.
Don't forget MTal too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm

tempur_three wrote:
Guchster wrote:Note: if this thread becomes too srs bsns, I'm going to beckon birdlaw, kwais, and my michigan brethren to troll the fuck out of this thread to encourage people to use the 'search forum' button that TLS has generously provided.
Don't forget MTal too.
MTal's not allowed in this thread (as it's so obvious that both schools are TTTT and a degree is so worthless at sticker that he has no incentive to troll). For reference to the art NYUCLS created, see the first few pages of this thread.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Guchster wrote:Note: if this thread becomes too srs bsns, I'm going to beckon birdlaw, kwais, ahduth, and my michigan brethren to troll the fuck out of this thread to encourage people to use the 'search forum' button that TLS has generously provided.
Checking in.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:22 pm

You're going to be just fine at either place. I have a difficult time believing the students at NYU are significantly more PI-focused than at CLS. Sure, the stats will tell you that somewhere between 5-10 percentage points worth of students will do PI work from NYU. But in reality, the majority will be heading to a firm whether you're at NYU or CLS. Meaning, no matter what school you choose, PI folks are in the minority. I do think that there is a bigger focus on PI jobs for 1L summer positions at NYU than CLS. That could be beneficial as it would help you figure out if that's what you really want to do.

Before I ramble on even more, just realize that there is no real answer here. Plenty of people choose one over the other for every possible reason you could think of.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 pm

Here:
http://blogs.law.nyu.edu/lifeatnyulaw/t ... -columbia/

Read that.

Conclusion: Just go to NYU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”