Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Guillaume9
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:30 am

I am an international student and I have just been admitted by Cornell (no aid info) and Minnesota (full ride for a GPA > 2.5).
I read somewhere in this forum that law firms in Minneapolis are unlikely to hire any international student. But the thought of going to Cornell and end up with a 200k debt is daunting. I do not have a strong location preference, although being an international student may mean I'll have to go to the coasts because it seems that firms there are the only firms sponsoring H1B visas???? (I'm not sure about this...)
I know that it may be a little too early to ask this question, and I am still waiting for some other schools, but I just want to hear some input before having to make a decision several months later. So I’d really appreciate your suggestions.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby KMaine » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 am

I can't speak to the international aspect. Overall, I would say that it depends on your goals. Only the tippy top of the class at MN has a chance at NYC biglaw, where a majority of the class at Cornell has a shot. Going to MN will limit your geographic mobility, but will give you the freedom that comes with having little debt. You will essentially be free to take a job that appeals to you.

I may be more of the play it safe mode, plus I would not be horrified at the idea of practicing in MN, but free tuition would be tough for me to pass up.

User avatar
Pato_09
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Pato_09 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40 am

Cornell, all the way.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:41 am

Just curious, why Minnesota? Also, recognize that full tuition does not mean free. You'll be taking out loans to live off of for rent, food, books, entertainment, and whatever else you'll need to spend money on.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:43 am

I don't know enough about you & your situation to offer definitive advice, nevertheless, Cornell is an outstanding law school that should be ranked higher, in my opinion. If you want to work in New York City or in the Northeast US, then Cornell is clearly the better choice for employment opportunities. But, Cornell is the second most expensive law school in the US (behind UC-Berkeley non-resident tuition).

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 am

KMaine wrote:I can't speak to the international aspect. Overall, I would say that it depends on your goals. Only the tippy top of the class at MN has a chance at NYC biglaw, where a majority of the class at Cornell has a shot. Going to MN will limit your geographic mobility, but will give you the freedom that comes with having little debt. You will essentially be free to take a job that appeals to you.

I may be more of the play it safe mode, plus I would not be horrified at the idea of practicing in MN, but free tuition would be tough for me to pass up.


+1. Cornell is a significantly better school but sticker is a hard pill to swallow. Maybe you can talk them into at least giving you some $?

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:00 am

Guillaume9, I'm in a similar position (also an international applicant).
Minnesota offered me a full tuition scholarship and I got in at Michigan with no money. I'm also in at Georgetown but have not heard about money yet, but I guess it will be zero.
I was also accepted at WUSTL and GW and I hope they offer me a good scholarship.
I wonder which is the best choice.... (keeping in mind that I'm not eligible for federal loans)

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby FlanAl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:01 am

correct me if i'm wrong but if you aren't a citizen then you probably can't get federal loans. Not sure what the interest rates are like on private ones or if you'll be able to cover the costs on you own. If you are french cornell does a thing so that you can get qualified to practice law in both france and the us which could be valuable to you.

Guillaume9
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks for all those replies.
-Flan No we can't get any federal thing, we don't even need to fill in the FAFSA. And I'm considering the dual degree but that would mean 30k more debt as well, and I'm not gonna practice simultaneously in two countries, so is that really worth it?
- Ugani We basically have similar stats as well but I have heard nothing from Michigan. Mind tell me when you sent your apps?

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:13 am

FlanAl wrote:correct me if i'm wrong but if you aren't a citizen then you probably can't get federal loans. Not sure what the interest rates are like on private ones or if you'll be able to cover the costs on you own. If you are french cornell does a thing so that you can get qualified to practice law in both france and the us which could be valuable to you.


You're right. Internationals are not eligible for federal loans. There a couple of private intitutions where we can get loans but we need a US cosigner (which I don't have). And at least in my country taking so much money is suicide because of the interest rates. This is why Minnesota looks so sexy right now :D

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:18 am

Guillaume9 wrote:Thanks for all those replies.
-Flan No we can't get any federal thing, we don't even need to fill in the FAFSA. And I'm considering the dual degree but that would mean 30k more debt as well, and I'm not gonna practice simultaneously in two countries, so is that really worth it?
- Ugani We basically have similar stats as well but I have heard nothing from Michigan. Mind tell me when you sent your apps?


Sure, I sent it to Michigan on 10/27, got the status checker 11/18 and in at the ASW on 12/5.
Do you mind sharing yours stats? You can PM me if you want.
I'm EA at Cornell but still haven't heard :cry:

Guillaume9
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

Re: Cornell (possible sticker) vs. Minnesota Full ride

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:44 am

Unagi wrote:
Guillaume9 wrote:Thanks for all those replies.
-Flan No we can't get any federal thing, we don't even need to fill in the FAFSA. And I'm considering the dual degree but that would mean 30k more debt as well, and I'm not gonna practice simultaneously in two countries, so is that really worth it?
- Ugani We basically have similar stats as well but I have heard nothing from Michigan. Mind tell me when you sent your apps?


Sure, I sent it to Michigan on 10/27, got the status checker 11/18 and in at the ASW on 12/5.
Do you mind sharing yours stats? You can PM me if you want.
I'm EA at Cornell but still haven't heard :cry:


I've just PMed you. Just out of curiosity what is the rate in your country?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Google [Bot], shadowfax and 5 guests