Gamble UVA at sticker vs. school in the 20s at half scholly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
maxpower430

Bronze

Re: Gamble UVA at sticker vs. school in the 20s at half scholly?

Post by maxpower430 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Veyron wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
Veyron wrote:
This is definitely a concern for me. I scored in the 92nd percentile, and I'm really not sure if I could even improve more. At a certain point, it depends on external factors that have little to do with how much I've worked.
Maybe, but a 165 is not that point.
Swear to G-d I am not trying to start a fight (promise), but what would you consider that point to be?
Putting LR/RC to one side, I've been told that you shouldn't take the test until you are consistently getting -0/-1 on the games. And, indeed, this is the point at which I found that I couldn't improve no matter how much more I studied.

I will say, however, that I was stuck in the 165 range for a month or two.
I think that is pretty common actually, and that improvement on the LSAT follows a plateau/peak/plateau (for the most part). personally, i had about three plateaus, and was lucky enough to score a point or two above my average.

OP: by external factors, do you mean test taking anxiety? There's some prep company that posts on here that had some helpful stuff for dealing with test anxiety (sorry I can't recall the name, I looked at it a while ago). If that's not it, I found the manhattan books to be great, especially combined with a good base from the PS bibles.

That said, you're probably not here for retake advice so here are my thoughts on your school choices. W&M is pretty regional, so you'd have to comfortable living in the mid-atlantic region. I honestly agree with and was going to say the same thing as Dixiecup. If you're comfortable with 150k, the extra 70k for UVA would probably be worth it for the enhanced job prospects, plus UVA has a decent LRAP (I have no idea what BU's is like, or if they have one). So if you're comfortable with debt, I'd go UVA, but if not, a retake might be the best option.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Any way that you could wait a year or 2, live w/family and find a job to save something like $20-50k over that time period? During that time you could also work on the LSAT, save some money to take the risk out of law school (saving 1-2 years of living expenses) and possibly find a career that you'd do rather than working at a law firm. While you could also get some good work experience that would be helpful at OCI.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. As of now, unless I get into other T-14 schools, looks like I will be going to UVA in the fall.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Thanks for the advice. As of now, unless I get into other T-14 schools, looks like I will be going to UVA in the fall.
That is a good call. Once you get there, just work your butt off and you should be okay.

I go to a T20 and did fine - got my 2L summer position of choice - but so many of my peers did not. Despite how uncertain job prospects are at any school, UVA is a much better shot than other lower-ranked schools.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Even if you do a few points better, say 168, which would be a fantastic improvement, there's nothing to say that UVA will give you any money for that either. I think at the end of the day: you worked your ass off and deserve to go to the best school you can. See what schools give you. If it's a full ride to BC, and you want to live in Boston, then take that. But anything less than 1/2 to 3/4 schol I would personally go for UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Thanks for the advice. As of now, unless I get into other T-14 schools, looks like I will be going to UVA in the fall.
This makes me :D

Good for you! Do it and be happy with the choice you made. UVA is a great school and I'm sure you've made the right decision.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:38 pm

JoeMo wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:Obviously retake, op. even a few points would give you better options even in the unlikely event that you don't get into any higher ranked schools (more scholly).

If you don't, enjoy UVA at sticker. Read getting to maybe and win with Leews bro. Then enjoy dla piper htmfh
I did not know what LEEWS was but I just looked it up and I found this tidbit interesting Its creator is Wentworth Miller

Being a big fan of Prison Break, this automatically gets a +1. LOL
Yeah he's a cool guy. He taught a Leews at NYU over the summer that I attended. I really like leews. I think it really helped in contract and hopefully it'll help more for my torts exam on Monday.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:Obviously retake, op. even a few points would give you better options even in the unlikely event that you don't get into any higher ranked schools (more scholly).

If you don't, enjoy UVA at sticker. Read getting to maybe and win with Leews bro. Then enjoy dla piper htmfh
I did not know what LEEWS was but I just looked it up and I found this tidbit interesting Its creator is Wentworth Miller

Yeah he's a cool guy. He taught a Leews at NYU over the summer that I attended. I really like leews. I think it really helped in contract and hopefully it'll help more for my torts exam on Monday.
Did you do it the summer before you started? and is it just the one seminar?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:09 pm

JoeMo wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Did you do it the summer before you started? and is it just the one seminar?
Yeah I did it the summer before I started law school. It was part of a program I was in. They brought in 4-5 law school professors and professionals like Arthur Miller for Civ Pro, Wentworth Miller for exam taking, etc. as kind of a prep for law school. Wentworth Miller was the most helpful in my opinion, his exam strategy really helps in issue spotters and as a bonus he has great stories about Clarence Thomas when they were both at Yale (I don't think they were friends :) )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”