POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

NYU @ Sticker
82%
$9500/yr scholly @ UT
18%

Total votes: 129

boosk

Bronze

POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Post by boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Which one would YOU pick and why? Please don't respond with "it depends on blahblah"

Thanks in advance for any responses

bk1

Diamond

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:12 pm

It depends on blahblah:

Do you want to work in TX?
Do you want to work elsewhere?
What kind of work do you want to do?
Is the tuition at TX in-state or out-of-state?
Etc, etc.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

I'd pick NYU.... but that's me. it really does depend though lol

NYU has better placement where I have interests

hotspur

Bronze

Post by hotspur » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I said NYU mostly because I have the UT option and not the NYU.

It probably comes down to a large set of personal preferences- where you want to work being the most important.
Last edited by hotspur on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Just answer the following questions:
1)Do you want to work in Texas?
Yes, go to 2); No, go to NYU (or other T10 w $??)

2) Do you have ties to Texas?
Yes, toss up but NYU will give you options should your mind change
No, go to UT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd choose neither because I don't like either of those schools that much.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

$9500 is a very small amount of $ in the grand scheme of things, and not worth sacrificing the t-6. i'm a self employed 0L, and I'm not rich by any means (come from a dirt poor family, hustled my way up to making what my friends from rich families make), but if I found out I'd make 9500 less this year than last year, my life would hardly change. I think this is a small bet for a potentially much bigger reward. If this was 30k/yr, and you wanted to work in Texas, I'd go the other way. Right now, it's not close.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:48 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:$9500 is a very small amount of $ in the grand scheme of things, and not worth sacrificing the t-6. i'm a self employed 0L, and I'm not rich by any means (come from a dirt poor family, hustled my way up to making what my friends from rich families make), but if I found out I'd make 9500 less this year than last year, my life would hardly change. I think this is a small bet for a potentially much bigger reward. If this was 30k/yr, and you wanted to work in Texas, I'd go the other way. Right now, it's not close.
It's not just 10k/year when you factor in differences in CoL and differences in actual tuition. Though I do agree with your premise that 10k/year is not that much if that is the only difference.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

bk187 wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:$9500 is a very small amount of $ in the grand scheme of things, and not worth sacrificing the t-6. i'm a self employed 0L, and I'm not rich by any means (come from a dirt poor family, hustled my way up to making what my friends from rich families make), but if I found out I'd make 9500 less this year than last year, my life would hardly change. I think this is a small bet for a potentially much bigger reward. If this was 30k/yr, and you wanted to work in Texas, I'd go the other way. Right now, it's not close.
It's not just 10k/year when you factor in differences in CoL and differences in actual tuition. Though I do agree with your premise that 10k/year is not that much if that is the only difference.
that's true, but nyc isn't soo much more expensive if you do it right. things like falafel and good sandwiches are cheaper here than they are elsewhere. nyc has the $40 hamburgers, but also is equally hospitable to people on a budget. also, there's no car payments, and you can walk everywhere to keep in shape and save cash. the only thing that's much more expensive is rent, but u can find something decent for $1000-$1200 if you have friends, etc. u can split a place with. u can find bargain apartment shares on craigslist-these could be hit or miss. you can get a really cool young professional or an aggressive drug addict, but if you meet the people first and trust your judgment, you'll generally do well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dontTazemeBrah

New

Post by dontTazemeBrah » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:38 pm

i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 pm

dontTazemeBrah wrote:i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.
but can't nyu get u texas, and other states too?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:54 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.
Sometimes. It's hard to get Texas without ties.

Eta: I picked nyu in the poll bc I have ties and could come back but couldn't really get to ny from UT. I also definitely do not feel Austin is the 'best place' to live, I hate it, but that's just a difference of opinion.
Last edited by snehpets on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dontTazemeBrah

New

Post by dontTazemeBrah » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
it would be very hard to without ties to texas. texas firms are notorious for being insular and if you do not have ties, you are fighting an uphill battle. go look at the rosters of texas big law firms and each person will either have gone to UT for undergrad or law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 pm

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:
it would be very hard to without ties to texas. texas firms are notorious for being insular and if you do not have ties, you are fighting an uphill battle. go look at the rosters of texas big law firms and each person will either have gone to UT for undergrad or law school.
But does OP want Texas? I'm not doubting that Texan life is great. I have never been there, but the music and film scenes, cuisine and universal appeal of the archetypal leggy blondy Texan woman all make Texas seem wonderful. However, I don't think people just decide to start their career on Texas on a whim, because it's likely extremely far from where they are coming from (east or west coast). This is a big decision. If OP is from Texas, this would be a different decision as it is a great school. Then it would be personal: does OP want to remain where he grew up or work in the spotlight of the largest city in the world.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:17 pm

This pagelong discussion above only supports the following previous statement:
bk187 wrote:It depends on blahblah:

Do you want to work in TX?
Do you want to work elsewhere?
What kind of work do you want to do?
Is the tuition at TX in-state or out-of-state?
Etc, etc.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Im not from Texas, I've only heard good things about Austin but I've never been. Never been to NY either but its mantra is pulling me in that direction.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:28 pm

boosk wrote:Im not from Texas, I've only heard good things about Austin but I've never been. Never been to NY either but its mantra is pulling me in that direction.
Do you want to work in Texas and/or does UT have a strong brand name somewhere else you want to work (and hopefully have ties)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:07 pm

I don't have a specific preference to work in TX, but I wouldn't mind it either. I only have ties to Phx, AZ and from what I've read, UT doesn't place very well there. Also, I'm probably going to end up doing corporate law or litigation...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm

boosk wrote:Also, I'm probably going to end up doing corporate law or litigation...
That's like... almost everything (not tax, T&E, regulatory).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Grizz wrote:
boosk wrote:Also, I'm probably going to end up doing corporate law or litigation...
That's like... almost everything (not tax, T&E, regulatory).
Well he has eliminated all those non-legal jobs.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:20 am

Without reading all that other stuff, I personally picked NYU with a small amount of money over UCLA with a LARGE amount of money. Fully cognizant of the fact that the Texas legal market is healthier than the Californian, NYU is a T6, whatever that means to you. Living in New York isn't the worst thing unless you hate walking or paying for cabs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 am

I think this is pretty simple. If you want to work in Texas, go to Texas. If you want to work anywhere else, go to nyu.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 am

Is this serious? NYU and it's not even close.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Texas for Texas employment & for better barbeque.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Real Madrid wrote:NYU and it's not even close

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”