POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

NYU @ Sticker
103
82%
$9500/yr scholly @ UT
23
18%
 
Total votes: 126

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Which one would YOU pick and why? Please don't respond with "it depends on blahblah"



Thanks in advance for any responses

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:12 pm

It depends on blahblah:

Do you want to work in TX?
Do you want to work elsewhere?
What kind of work do you want to do?
Is the tuition at TX in-state or out-of-state?
Etc, etc.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby gaud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:14 pm

I'd pick NYU.... but that's me. it really does depend though lol

NYU has better placement where I have interests

User avatar
hotspur
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby hotspur » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I said NYU mostly because I have the UT option and not the NYU.

It probably comes down to a large set of personal preferences- where you want to work being the most important.
Last edited by hotspur on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby de5igual » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Just answer the following questions:
1)Do you want to work in Texas?
Yes, go to 2); No, go to NYU (or other T10 w $??)

2) Do you have ties to Texas?
Yes, toss up but NYU will give you options should your mind change
No, go to UT

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd choose neither because I don't like either of those schools that much.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

$9500 is a very small amount of $ in the grand scheme of things, and not worth sacrificing the t-6. i'm a self employed 0L, and I'm not rich by any means (come from a dirt poor family, hustled my way up to making what my friends from rich families make), but if I found out I'd make 9500 less this year than last year, my life would hardly change. I think this is a small bet for a potentially much bigger reward. If this was 30k/yr, and you wanted to work in Texas, I'd go the other way. Right now, it's not close.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:48 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:$9500 is a very small amount of $ in the grand scheme of things, and not worth sacrificing the t-6. i'm a self employed 0L, and I'm not rich by any means (come from a dirt poor family, hustled my way up to making what my friends from rich families make), but if I found out I'd make 9500 less this year than last year, my life would hardly change. I think this is a small bet for a potentially much bigger reward. If this was 30k/yr, and you wanted to work in Texas, I'd go the other way. Right now, it's not close.


It's not just 10k/year when you factor in differences in CoL and differences in actual tuition. Though I do agree with your premise that 10k/year is not that much if that is the only difference.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:$9500 is a very small amount of $ in the grand scheme of things, and not worth sacrificing the t-6. i'm a self employed 0L, and I'm not rich by any means (come from a dirt poor family, hustled my way up to making what my friends from rich families make), but if I found out I'd make 9500 less this year than last year, my life would hardly change. I think this is a small bet for a potentially much bigger reward. If this was 30k/yr, and you wanted to work in Texas, I'd go the other way. Right now, it's not close.


It's not just 10k/year when you factor in differences in CoL and differences in actual tuition. Though I do agree with your premise that 10k/year is not that much if that is the only difference.

that's true, but nyc isn't soo much more expensive if you do it right. things like falafel and good sandwiches are cheaper here than they are elsewhere. nyc has the $40 hamburgers, but also is equally hospitable to people on a budget. also, there's no car payments, and you can walk everywhere to keep in shape and save cash. the only thing that's much more expensive is rent, but u can find something decent for $1000-$1200 if you have friends, etc. u can split a place with. u can find bargain apartment shares on craigslist-these could be hit or miss. you can get a really cool young professional or an aggressive drug addict, but if you meet the people first and trust your judgment, you'll generally do well.

dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:38 pm

i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 pm

dontTazemeBrah wrote:i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.

but can't nyu get u texas, and other states too?

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:54 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.

but can't nyu get u texas, and other states too?


Sometimes. It's hard to get Texas without ties.

Eta: I picked nyu in the poll bc I have ties and could come back but couldn't really get to ny from UT. I also definitely do not feel Austin is the 'best place' to live, I hate it, but that's just a difference of opinion.
Last edited by snehpets on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dontTazemeBrah
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.

but can't nyu get u texas, and other states too?


it would be very hard to without ties to texas. texas firms are notorious for being insular and if you do not have ties, you are fighting an uphill battle. go look at the rosters of texas big law firms and each person will either have gone to UT for undergrad or law school.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 pm

dontTazemeBrah wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:
dontTazemeBrah wrote:i would take UT without a doubt. I have learned painfully that Austin is the best place to live and UT would give you plenty of opportunities in biglaw or PI even though it would be harder to get a position out of Texas. NYU would cost you about 200K over three years and I don't think that it is worth that amount of cash.

but can't nyu get u texas, and other states too?


it would be very hard to without ties to texas. texas firms are notorious for being insular and if you do not have ties, you are fighting an uphill battle. go look at the rosters of texas big law firms and each person will either have gone to UT for undergrad or law school.

But does OP want Texas? I'm not doubting that Texan life is great. I have never been there, but the music and film scenes, cuisine and universal appeal of the archetypal leggy blondy Texan woman all make Texas seem wonderful. However, I don't think people just decide to start their career on Texas on a whim, because it's likely extremely far from where they are coming from (east or west coast). This is a big decision. If OP is from Texas, this would be a different decision as it is a great school. Then it would be personal: does OP want to remain where he grew up or work in the spotlight of the largest city in the world.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:17 pm

This pagelong discussion above only supports the following previous statement:

bk1 wrote:It depends on blahblah:

Do you want to work in TX?
Do you want to work elsewhere?
What kind of work do you want to do?
Is the tuition at TX in-state or out-of-state?
Etc, etc.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Im not from Texas, I've only heard good things about Austin but I've never been. Never been to NY either but its mantra is pulling me in that direction.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:28 pm

boosk wrote:Im not from Texas, I've only heard good things about Austin but I've never been. Never been to NY either but its mantra is pulling me in that direction.

Do you want to work in Texas and/or does UT have a strong brand name somewhere else you want to work (and hopefully have ties)?

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby boosk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:07 pm

I don't have a specific preference to work in TX, but I wouldn't mind it either. I only have ties to Phx, AZ and from what I've read, UT doesn't place very well there. Also, I'm probably going to end up doing corporate law or litigation...

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm

boosk wrote:Also, I'm probably going to end up doing corporate law or litigation...

That's like... almost everything (not tax, T&E, regulatory).

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Grizz wrote:
boosk wrote:Also, I'm probably going to end up doing corporate law or litigation...

That's like... almost everything (not tax, T&E, regulatory).

Well he has eliminated all those non-legal jobs.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:20 am

Without reading all that other stuff, I personally picked NYU with a small amount of money over UCLA with a LARGE amount of money. Fully cognizant of the fact that the Texas legal market is healthier than the Californian, NYU is a T6, whatever that means to you. Living in New York isn't the worst thing unless you hate walking or paying for cabs.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1833
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby emkay625 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 am

I think this is pretty simple. If you want to work in Texas, go to Texas. If you want to work anywhere else, go to nyu.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 am

Is this serious? NYU and it's not even close.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Texas for Texas employment & for better barbeque.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: POLL: NYU @ Sticker or $$ @ UT Austin?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Real Madrid wrote:NYU and it's not even close




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bns212, cavalier1138, isuggestbedtime, WiltyMIZ and 4 guests