Is UC Irvine's admissions "normalized" now?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
notaznguy

Is UC Irvine's admissions "normalized" now?

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 am

Okay from my understandings, the classes of 2012-2014 all had scholarships with the inaugural 2012 year having full tuition, followed by 1/2 tuition, followed by 1/3 tuition. I haven't found any reports of this upcoming class, 2015, receiving any scholarships. Does this mean for the class of 2016 (which would be me) that admission standards would be slightly lower so that it would be easier to get into? UC Irvine is one of my top choices and a school I would love to get into.

I'm currently PTing at 160. I think I would need a mid 160s to get into UCI.

American_in_China

Re: Is UC Irvine's admissions "normalized" now?

Postby American_in_China » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:05 am

Impossible to know- They still have the cash to hand out big scholarships, they just aren't guaranteed anymore. I know they're handing out a dozen? or ten? full rides this year. Plus, their official clerkship numbers came out and were only behind Yale and Stanford, which could cause quite an advertising boost.

Their numbers only fell slightly over the last 3 years (I think GPA went down like .1, LSAT stayed the same), so I don't think they're becoming substantially less competitive. I'd plan on them being exactly as competitive as last year, if not more so. Remember, they were completely unknown three years ago, and now with the rave reviews they've been getting and a track record of success, at least for their clerkship placement, it could bump them up to an even higher level.

Aim for that mid 160 and you should have a shot though.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 pm

how difficult do you think it is to transfer to UCI? from a mid-lower T1 school

Beachbum89

Postby Beachbum89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Everyone from the Chancellor of UCI, to Dean Chemerinsky, to the Dean of Admissions has said they will not lower admissions standards to get the class size they want. My bet is they keep standards just as high as they've been in the past with maybe a slight drop. Dean Chemerinsky has said applications to UCI Law are up compared to this point last year and this is without UCI offering guaranteed scholarships (like they've done every other year) and it's also a year where most law schools will probably see a drop in applications. I think they've put so much money into the school and built it up so much that they should be able to get the amount of high quality students they're looking for.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:Everyone from the Chancellor of UCI, to Dean Chemerinsky, to the Dean of Admissions has said they will not lower admissions standards to get the class size they want. My bet is they keep standards just as high as they've been in the past with maybe a slight drop. Dean Chemerinsky has said applications to UCI Law are up compared to this point last year and this is without UCI offering guaranteed scholarships (like they've done every other year) and it's also a year where most law schools will probably see a drop in applications. I think they've put so much money into the school and built it up so much that they should be able to get the amount of high quality students they're looking for.

Do you know if there is a site, besides law school numbers, that will give any information as to what the median LSAT and GPA of admitted students are? I know during 1 year, LSAT scores were ridiculously high, like 170s, but I don't believe UCI is going to be a T-14.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:00 pm

notaznguy wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:Everyone from the Chancellor of UCI, to Dean Chemerinsky, to the Dean of Admissions has said they will not lower admissions standards to get the class size they want. My bet is they keep standards just as high as they've been in the past with maybe a slight drop. Dean Chemerinsky has said applications to UCI Law are up compared to this point last year and this is without UCI offering guaranteed scholarships (like they've done every other year) and it's also a year where most law schools will probably see a drop in applications. I think they've put so much money into the school and built it up so much that they should be able to get the amount of high quality students they're looking for.

Do you know if there is a site, besides law school numbers, that will give any information as to what the median LSAT and GPA of admitted students are? I know during 1 year, LSAT scores were ridiculously high, like 170s, but I don't believe UCI is going to be a T-14.

you mean like, the uci law website? did you even check there?

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 pm

notaznguy wrote:

and lolno. 75ths never went above 168. you need to get a lot more informed and resourceful if you want to get into law school/ succeed at anything.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:14 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
notaznguy wrote:

and lolno. 75ths never went above 168. you need to get a lot more informed and resourceful if you want to get into law school/ succeed at anything.

y u so mad horror

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:30 pm

bro weve been trolling eachother so long i dont know if were best friends or worst enemies, but to answer your question im mad cause i didnt get into drexel bro

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:08 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:bro weve been trolling eachother so long i dont know if were best friends or worst enemies, but to answer your question im mad cause i didnt get into drexel bro

I just found out I got in today! :D

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 pm

how high up and down do u guys think r UCI's peer schools? i mean ranking wise, davis at 23 is probably a peer, how abt the lowest ranked peer?

Boourns76

Postby Boourns76 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 am

Just started looking at UCI for a friend (I'm in practice, East Coast alum), impressed with what they're doing. I would be surprised if they ended up behind Hastings or Davis, also (albeit slightly less) surprised if they ended up ahead of USC or UCLA. Their faculty is really excellent, they've tapped into the Zeitgeist of the moment (experiential learning), and they're well funded. A pretty potent combination. Ultimately, I think the fact that UCI as a university is seen as significantly inferior to UCLA and Cal means that it's going to be tough for the law school to break that barrier, but I think they are very clearly the "it" school right now among those that follow law school goings-on.

My two cents, and I'm not a troll, or affiliated in any way with UCI.

Boourns76

Postby Boourns76 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 am

Which is to say, if I had to bet, I'd say they end up between 18 and 25. With some upside.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Look at lsn for an idea i would say mid 160s should be good fir UCI.

I doubt they will be T25 to start. Although I think the are and will be a great school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”