Does anybody have the leaked OCI breakdown from NYU and Chic

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dakure

Does anybody have the leaked OCI breakdown from NYU and Chic

Postby dakure » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Does anybody have the leaked OCI breakdown from NYU and Chicago? I looked in the thread but couldn't find it and didn't want to necro a year old thread.

Thank you so much!

mattbarnes123

Re: Does anybody have the leaked OCI breakdown from NYU and Chic

Postby mattbarnes123 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:14 pm

I'd love to see this too. Especially curious about NYU's Fall 2011 EIW performance.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:19 pm

I don't think NYU releases the EIW information until spring. But I've shared my anecdotal info in a few threads on the subject, and am happy to do so again. Every single person I know is employed with Vault firms, most V25 or higher. To sort of break that down, I keep up with 10 transfers. 8 of them are going to T25 firms, with the other 2 at V50. On my journal, I am friendly with 7 people from my office hours. 5 of the 7 will be at V10's, with the other 2 at V25. I don't know too many people from my classes, but I tend to know the person who sits on each side of me in all 3 of my classes. Of that random 6-person sample, 5 of the 6 are at V10's, with one V15. So from my perspective, it was excellent.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:23 pm

kaiser wrote:I don't think NYU releases the EIW information until spring. But I've shared my anecdotal info in a few threads on the subject, and am happy to do so again. Every single person I know is employed with Vault firms, most V25 or higher. To sort of break that down, I keep up with 10 transfers. 8 of them are going to T25 firms, with the other 2 at V50. On my journal, I am friendly with 7 people from my office hours. 5 of the 7 will be at V10's, with the other 2 at V25. I don't know too many people from my classes, but I tend to know the person who sits on each side of me in all 3 of my classes. Of that random 6-person sample, 5 of the 6 are at V10's, with one V15. So from my perspective, it was excellent.

Hmm. Wow. Do you have last years data? Thanks so much!

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Kaiser's anecdotal experience is far beyond the typical norm at NYU (I'd argue) and really should be discounted as such, even though I wish an extrapolation of the experience were true.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:34 pm

kaiser wrote:Every single person I know whose situation I am familiar with is employed with Vault firms, most V25 or higher.

FTFY.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:54 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
kaiser wrote:Every single person I know whose situation I am familiar with is employed with Vault firms, most V25 or higher.

FTFY.

No. I am a transfer, and thus, I don't really "know" many people in total. There isn't anyone I know, yet am not familiar with what firm they are working for. I think all my samples have some inherent skew or bias though. Transfers as a whole tend to do extremely well, so its not surprising that any given 10 out of the 50 or so would be set. My journal (I think) is one of the better ones here, and people on it tend to do better than the average student. And I tended to take gunnerish classes like corps and tax (and I sit very close to the front in the classes due to poor eyesight, but this also happens to be where the most aspie gunners of all sit as well). So every sample is slanted in some way, and likely wouldn't be reflective of the average student's perspective.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:44 pm

kaiser wrote:I don't think NYU releases the EIW information until spring. But I've shared my anecdotal info in a few threads on the subject, and am happy to do so again. Every single person I know is employed with Vault firms, most V25 or higher. To sort of break that down, I keep up with 10 transfers. 8 of them are going to T25 firms, with the other 2 at V50. On my journal, I am friendly with 7 people from my office hours. 5 of the 7 will be at V10's, with the other 2 at V25. I don't know too many people from my classes, but I tend to know the person who sits on each side of me in all 3 of my classes. Of that random 6-person sample, 5 of the 6 are at V10's, with one V15. So from my perspective, it was excellent.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this may be super-biased, because transfers are high-achievers with stellar first year grades, and journal writers (if Law Review) usually have good grades as well.

Edit: Ah, you beat me to the punch.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's unlikely you'll get info detailed enough to be useful. The upshot is OCI placement between the two will be close enough, and the other distinctions between the schools are large enough, that it shouldn't make the difference for you.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 am

If you're choosing between them its more a matter of fit than anything. Chicago does clerkship and academia better, NYU does PI better, basically equal for Big Law.

Then you ask, do I like a small school or big school?
Then you ask, do I like NYC or Chicago better?

That's about it. Peer schools are peer for a reason. It's more a matter of taste than a quantitative decision.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 am

I know at least three of 2 of the 50 or so transfers from the class of 2012 struck out, but I tend to agree with the above that transfers do well on average.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”