Penn ED vs Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
horrorbusiness

Silver

Penn ED vs Cornell

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:41 pm

I've been admitted to Cornell already. Haven't heard back from Penn yet, but I applied ED, so it's only proper to ask this hypothetical now before I'm bound to go there.

Cornell hasn't offered me a scholarship, but I only got admitted via email yesterday. Not sure if scholly info is forthcoming, or included in the admit email.

Anyway, with Cornell admit in hand, and the possibility of money (i'm pretty poor), I'm having second thoughts about probably paying sticker at penn.

Basically, I'm thinking about withdrawing my ED app at Penn (at 3.37/167/mexican, there didn't seem to be a point in applying to penn without the ED).

So full price at penn or see what I can get from Cornell?

(To be sure, I need to do a lot more research on my own. However, I want some input right away since there's a possiblity I could get admitted to Penn, and be bound to go there, literally tomorrow or any day now..)

edit: i also applied to most of the t20 - so if i get admitted to any "peer" schools of cornell and am offered money, i will also be able to potentially negotiate money at cornell..

also: ideally, i will get a firm job in california. barring that, i haven't even been to nyc or to philly so am not partial to one over the other.

unknownnumbers

New

Re: Penn ED vs Cornell

Post by unknownnumbers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:52 pm

i would just wait it out. You might have a shot at penn, but your LSAT and GPA seem a bit low... and try not to go to cornell. its cold as all hell

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Ask Cornell for a scholarship or aid estimate due to your concern. Then withdraw only the ED portion of your Penn application as you might be pleasantly surprised when informing Penn of your Cornell acceptance in this down cycle.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Ask Cornell for a scholarship or aid estimate due to your concern. Then withdraw only the ED portion of your Penn application as you might be pleasantly surprised when informing Penn of your Cornell acceptance in this down cycle.
Cornell does not send out scholarship info with the packet. You'll have to wait until after you fill out the need access forms. So calling for an estimate might be a good idea; also look on LSN to see a general idea for what aid you might get (do the same thing for Penn). Penn is a tier above Cornell, though, so if NY Biglaw is the goal, a bit more debt from Penn may be worth it.

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 pm

unknownnumbers wrote:i would just wait it out. You might have a shot at penn, but your LSAT and GPA seem a bit low... and try not to go to cornell. its cold as all hell
As if Philly is any warmer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rklafehn

Bronze

Post by rklafehn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 pm

12 degrees warmer as of right now. I would call that a pretty substantial difference. Ithaca, NY is miserable weather-wise during the winter, especially because of the wind.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:31 pm

You mentioned California biglaw. I think that may be difficult either from Penn or Cornell, with a slight edge to Penn. Though if you have significant ties to CA, it may work. And although Penn is "a tier above," I think the difference is actually less in regards to NYC Biglaw. In general, I think the difference is quite a bit overblown on TLS. Your Cornell financial aid notification will not come out for a while. I guess the you should consider whether a Penn ED becomes less likely later in the year (I don't know if they have a deadline, etc). IMO, Penn at sticker > Cornell at sticker, unless you have a strong reason for going the other way. But with a little financial aid (maybe $45K), Cornell becomes a better option. I know people disagree, but that is basically the choice I made, so my money is where my mouth is.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm

KMaine wrote:You mentioned California biglaw. I think that may be difficult either from Penn or Cornell, with a slight edge to Penn. Though if you have significant ties to CA, it may work. And although Penn is "a tier above," I think the difference is actually less in regards to NYC Biglaw. In general, I think the difference is quite a bit overblown on TLS. Your Cornell financial aid notification will not come out for a while. I guess the you should consider whether a Penn ED becomes less likely later in the year (I don't know if they have a deadline, etc). IMO, Penn at sticker > Cornell at sticker, unless you have a strong reason for going the other way. But with a little financial aid (maybe $45K), Cornell becomes a better option. I know people disagree, but that is basically the choice I made, so my money is where my mouth is.
all the responses are much appreciated, everyone.

Born, raised, and did undergrad in CA.

I agree penn sticker > cornell sticker. i just feel that i would preclude myself getting money from penn via ED, where i don't suffer that with cornell. though they could choose to not give me money anyway.

as a less competitive applicant numbers/resume/WE-wise, should i really only expect need-based aid anyway though?

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 am

rklafehn wrote:12 degrees warmer as of right now. I would call that a pretty substantial difference. Ithaca, NY is miserable weather-wise during the winter, especially because of the wind.
Not sure if serious....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:15 am

I'm pretty sure its been sunny more than its been cloudy since I've moved here. It also hasn't legitimately snowed once. I'd probably pick Penn over Cornell even with a price difference since you ED'd penn I'm guessing you are sort of leaning this way too. Only thing I'd consider is if you'd rather be in the country or in the city. If you really aren't a fan of big east coast cities then maybe choose cornell.

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 am

FlanAl wrote:Only thing I'd consider is if you'd rather be in the country or in the city. If you really aren't a fan of big east coast cities then maybe choose cornell.
I agree that Penn would be the better choice. But a "big east coast" city is not something you have to worry about: there is one row of downtown bars (old city); a few center-city places to hangout (south street and rittenhouse), and you'd be in the Penn-bubble for your 3 years anyways. Philly is a tiny city - the only thing you have to be scurred of is law school debt (and possibly the muggings that happen right outside the lawl school library ha ha, true story)!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 am

monkey85 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Only thing I'd consider is if you'd rather be in the country or in the city. If you really aren't a fan of big east coast cities then maybe choose cornell.
I agree that Penn would be the better choice. But a "big east coast" city is not something you have to worry about: there is one row of downtown bars (old city); a few center-city places to hangout (south street and rittenhouse), and you'd be in the Penn-bubble for your 3 years anyways. Philly is a tiny city - the only thing you have to be scurred of is law school debt (and possibly the muggings that happen right outside the lawl school library ha ha, true story)!
haha think I was more talking about the muggings and east coast people in general. Obviously a broad generalization but being laid back and nice seems to almost annoy east coast people. Ithaca has enough granola to go around and it is nice being surrounded by that when law school is super stressful than being surrounded by gang violence or really uptight bankers or whatever east coast people are into.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 am

FlanAl wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
haha think I was more talking about the muggings and east coast people in general. Obviously a broad generalization but being laid back and nice seems to almost annoy east coast people. Ithaca has enough granola to go around and it is nice being surrounded by that when law school is super stressful than being surrounded by gang violence or really uptight bankers or whatever east coast people are into.
I get the impression that you have never been to Philly. As I am from that area, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that I personally can't stand people who are nice. Which is also why I love Philly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:43 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
KMaine wrote:You mentioned California biglaw. I think that may be difficult either from Penn or Cornell, with a slight edge to Penn. Though if you have significant ties to CA, it may work. And although Penn is "a tier above," I think the difference is actually less in regards to NYC Biglaw. In general, I think the difference is quite a bit overblown on TLS. Your Cornell financial aid notification will not come out for a while. I guess the you should consider whether a Penn ED becomes less likely later in the year (I don't know if they have a deadline, etc). IMO, Penn at sticker > Cornell at sticker, unless you have a strong reason for going the other way. But with a little financial aid (maybe $45K), Cornell becomes a better option. I know people disagree, but that is basically the choice I made, so my money is where my mouth is.
all the responses are much appreciated, everyone.

Born, raised, and did undergrad in CA.

I agree penn sticker > cornell sticker. i just feel that i would preclude myself getting money from penn via ED, where i don't suffer that with cornell. though they could choose to not give me money anyway.

as a less competitive applicant numbers/resume/WE-wise, should i really only expect need-based aid anyway though?
Does Cornell do pure need based aid? From what I have heard you shouldnt count on need based aid from anywhere except HYS. And I dont see any Merit coming with your LSAT right at Median and GPA so low. I think Penn ED, if you can get an acceptance, is the way to go. But again ED can be hard if your not 100% sure about it.

Either way, your going to a great school. So that is a good place to be

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
FlanAl wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
I get the impression that you have never been to Philly. As I am from that area, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that I personally can't stand people who are nice. Which is also why I love Philly.
haha i'm obviously kidding around (kind of). I've only been when I was little and definitely would like to visit again.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:04 am

Cornell does ask you about need on their financial aid application. I am not sure how much they take it into account. I did have some need going in, but my award was not completely out of line with what my numbers may have predicted (though I can't rule out that they factored need in somehow.

Yeah, if you numbers make financial aid unlikely and you don't really prefer Ithaca to Philly (I have school age kids so wanted to stay away from cities), I would shoot Penn that ap. It is a somewhat better school and may provide some more mobility, etc.

On the subject of weather, I think the difference between Ithaca and the rest of the Northeast is somewhat overblown. At least this year, there has been more snow in Boston than in Ithaca. We missed all of the big Northeast storms last year. The weather sucks, but we are not comparing Cornell to UCLA.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Again, thanks for the input everyone. my penn app just got dinged, so..

/thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”