Advice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tls717

New

Advice

Post by tls717 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 am

Long time lurker, first time poster..

Stats:
4.0 GPA from a state school in Michigan
164 LSAT
Accounting major
Average softs
Non-URM

Career Aspirations -
I am most interested in M&A, commercial law and other areas where finance and law overlap. Willing to work anywhere in the US or abroad. Based on my aspirations, a stint in big law in a large market to start off my career would be ideal with an eventual transition to general counsel for a corporation. No need to tell me that this path would be very challenging and difficult to achieve as I already realize this. Dream big, right?

I will be working for a big 4 public accounting firm upon graduation (within next 6 months) and plan on getting my CPA license before attending law school. Given the year work experience requirement for CPA licensure, I will be applying for the entering class of 2013 or 2014.

Questions -
What is everyone's thoughts on my chances at U of M? Do they give any breaks to in-state residents?

What other schools should I apply to based on my stats and goals?

Is Big 4 accounting experience considered to be quality WE by law schools?

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Re: Advice

Post by WSJ_Law » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 am

Enjoy Michigan State brother

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:51 am

Of course Big 4 accounting is considered "quality work experience" by law school adcomms.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:28 pm

How many times have you taken the LSAT? How hard and long did you study for it? Was 164 above or below your practice testing range?

picklebarrel

New

Post by picklebarrel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 pm

You should retake that LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:45 pm

If you retake for an upper-160s or lower-170s score, you are a shoo-in at UMich. RETAKE (assuming you have not reached your max PT test potential) (:

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 am

You don't have much of a chance getting into UMich with that LSAT. Retake into high 160s for admit + 54-67.5k scholly. What state school do you go to (you can PM me or just disregard this)?

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:20 am

tls717 wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster..

Stats:
4.0 GPA from a state school in Michigan
164 LSAT
Accounting major
Average softs
Non-URM

Questions -
What is everyone's thoughts on my chances at U of M? Do they give any breaks to in-state residents?

What other schools should I apply to based on my stats and goals?

Is Big 4 accounting experience considered to be quality WE by law schools?
you have a shot at UofM. They do have to admit a certain number of instate, so you may have an edge.

You should blanket apply to all lower t14 school. A few may bite at your 4.0GPA (berkeley, I am looking at you).

Big 4 accounting experience is good, but since you didn't say what your title was, I have no idea how good it will be.

Also, if you can retake, in feb, do so. It may help you get off waitlist or negotiate scholarship money.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 am

I second the retake, but if not: blanket the lower T-14. If you really don't care where you end up see if you can get some money at Texas. They place incredibly well in biglaw around Texas (Houston and Dallas), and Texas is becoming a pretty major market for corporate and M&A work.

Berkley will probs take your 4.0 and run with it, but you could lock it down with a 4 to 6 point score increase.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:49 am

Don't waste that 4.0. You should retake the LSAT, no question. Just think of where you would wind up with a 10-pt. increase and an extra year of community service or WE.

Moultdog

New

Post by Moultdog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:53 am

You're already taking more than a year before you go to law school...retaking the LSAT is a given. Study hard, take a class, whatever it takes!

tls717

New

Post by tls717 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:26 am

How many times have you taken the LSAT? How hard and long did you study for it? Was 164 above or below your practice testing range?
I only took the test once (Feb 2011). I read a kaplan book on the reading comprehension and logic games section that was about 200 pages. I read some different strategies on the logic games section online, but didn't get too into it, which hurt me in the end. I took about 5 or 6 practice tests and went from 152 cold to 166 on the last one - breakdown being 2/3 wrong on everything but the logic games, where i was consistently getting 7-10 wrong.
You're already taking more than a year before you go to law school...retaking the LSAT is a given. Study hard, take a class, whatever it takes!

This is the attitude I was already starting to adopt before posting. After seeing how much time people on this site spend studying, I realized how ill-prepared I was in comparison.

From what I've read, the logic games section is very learnable. I'm thinking a retake after the CPA exams is my best option. I'll buy both PowerScore Bibles and all of the practice exams (this time making sure I take every single one of them). Do you all think I should invest in anything else? I've thought about taking a class, but it seems like if you have enough dedication, self-study is sufficient.

EDIT:

I'll be working as an audit associate.
Last edited by tls717 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:31 am

Ditto everything said so far, with a few other points: you might end up enjoying your job (although if you're studying for CPA exams that's probably unlikely), and if it pays well, think long and hard about giving that up for three years of study and six-figure tuition bills with no guarantee of a better job afterward.

Also, you might want to take a class. I thought I was self-motivated but when I began working full-time the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from work was spend hours at my LSAT books. Spending the dough for the class motivated me into actually going and getting my money's worth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am

basilseal wrote:I thought I was self-motivated but when I began working full-time the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from work was spend hours at my LSAT books. Spending the dough for the class motivated me into actually going and getting my money's worth.
+1. I took a class after work and never regretted it.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Retake and if the score is the same or worse then UVA ED.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:50 pm

tls717 wrote:
I only took the test once (Feb 2011). I read a kaplan book on the reading comprehension and logic games section that was about 200 pages. I read some different strategies on the logic games section online, but didn't get too into it, which hurt me in the end. I took about 5 or 6 practice tests and went from 152 cold to 166 on the last one - breakdown being 2/3 wrong on everything but the logic games, where i was consistently getting 7-10 wrong.
I asked all these questions because I knew there were 20 "retake" posts incoming and I wanted to make sure you haven't already taken it three times, or were PT'ing at like 158 and then scored a 164 somehow on test day. Considering you've only taken it once, and you didn't study much, you're capable of doing much better. Follow all the advice on these forums and I'm sure you'll be Berkeley on up secure.

Good luck!

tls717

New

Post by tls717 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone! After taking all four parts of the CPA exam, what's one more test? I'll be in the mode for studying and will put in much more work than I did on the first attempt. You will see me again at that point, hopefully with much better options to discuss..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 pm

tls717 wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone! After taking all four parts of the CPA exam, what's one more test? I'll be in the mode for studying and will put in much more work than I did on the first attempt. You will see me again at that point, hopefully with much better options to discuss..
Great to hear, good luck!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:34 pm

For the record, I think this guy will get HYS someday if he decides to go.

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Out of curiosity, why ditch accounting? It's doing far better than law these days...

If the answer is "I hate it," then yeah, ditch it. But if it's something you could see yourself doing long-term, probably a safer bet than law.

tls717

New

Post by tls717 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:39 pm

justinp wrote:Out of curiosity, why ditch accounting? It's doing far better than law these days...

If the answer is "I hate it," then yeah, ditch it. But if it's something you could see yourself doing long-term, probably a safer bet than law.

That's exactly it. I don't see myself practicing accounting for the rest of my life. At the same time, I've only been exposed to the private side (F500). I might find out that auditing is a better fit for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”