Any insight into Denver Law ?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timlewellen

Any insight into Denver Law ?

Postby timlewellen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm only interested in Tax Law. Denver's program the joint jd/tax LLM and some other aspects about Denver look very appealing.

Any good or bad reviews about the school out there? Or any other insight to tax programs would be great as well.

cool

Re: Any insight into Denver Law ?

Postby cool » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 pm

It's not UC Boulder.

timlewellen

Postby timlewellen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Denver by all indications (joint degree, US News & World Report, TaxTalent, LLM in tax offering) has a much better tax program than Colorado-Boulder.

Does anyone have any experience with Denver Law School?

cool

Postby cool » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 pm

timlewellen wrote:Denver by all indications (joint degree, US News & World Report, TaxTalent, LLM in tax offering) has a much better tax program than Colorado-Boulder.

Irrelevant.

timlewellen

Postby timlewellen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Anyone intelligent here able to offer some advice?

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:08 am

It's not UC Boulder.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:01 am

timlewellen wrote:Anyone intelligent here able to offer some advice?

:lol:

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:10 am

Specialty rankings ARE irrelevant. You get hired based on the strength of your school as a WHOLE, not on the strength of an individual program.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:29 pm

law4vus wrote:

Specialty rankings ARE irrelevant. You get hired based on the strength of your school as a WHOLE, not on the strength of an individual program.

+1

Denver places, but, like others have said, its not CU. You would be in a much better position if you attended the latter.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm

timlewellen wrote:Anyone intelligent here?

Nope

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 pm

We get a good many DU Law grads here in N.Mex, a handful with both degrees. There is nothing wrong with their law training that I can see but they tend to tell tales of woe about finding jobs in Colorado. Naturally, the ones I see are the ones that came here precisely because they couldn't find work in the Denver area. But what they usually say seems to line up pretty well with the article here on TLS about the school so one ought to read that.

As to the saleability a DU LL.M., go read the posts at taxtalent.com The consensus over there has been that the M.S.T. sells well but the LL.M. does not. There is a good deal of speculation as to why that might be.

My biggest concern would be how expensive the DU programs are. Denver is fairly cheap to live in, but still. I wouldn't recommend the school at sticker.

As always, take with a grain of salt. Maybe two grains.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
timlewellen wrote:Anyone intelligent here?

Nope

LOL. agreed.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:48 am

Yeah it's a TTT shithole and so is uc boulder any other questions?

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 am

Anyone who calls CU "UC Boulder" obviously has no idea what they're talking about and any advice they give on the Denver legal market should be disregarded.

Denver as a city is awesome. I know nothing about the tax law market there so I won't pretend.

USAIRS

Postby USAIRS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:16 am

I've heard that DU has a good tax program. Historically, it was considered fourth nationwide after NYU, GULC, Florida. However, I think it was tied heavily to the MST program. Now, other LLM programs have stood out, including Loyola LA and Northwestern. If you are serious on doing tax, I believe it would be a good idea, in choosing between roughly comparable schools, to go with one that has an LLM available in tax because of the curriculum offerings and because they will have more in the way of tax recruiting (for example, a tax-specific job fair).

Not a bad thing, but most of Denver's LLM placement I think is accounting firms. My understanding is you'll be competing alongside CPAs for most of these jobs.

I have no opinion of CU. All I know about it is that someone at Chicago had transferred from there, maybe two in the same year. However, I know that Denver is supposed to be good for tax. I have no idea about its overall reputation other than its tax reputation, at least in terms of whether it is tier one, two, or three.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by USAIRS on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:14 am

Denver is fine school brah, I know a chick who went there and now works for a law firm in CA, she's real pretty (totally srs)

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:

Denver is fine school brah, I know a chick who went there and now works for a law firm in CA, she's real pretty (totally srs)

+1. I have a friend who got San Fran big law out of Denver and was median. Denver places really well in CA for some reason. Id take it at sticker IMHO. Hth

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:

This is awful advice.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:30 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:

This is awful advice.

He deliberately gives awful advice to everyone and his SN is the name of a troll from some nerd video game. As obvious a troll as you can get.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm

dude, it was obviously a joke, how can anyone believe denver is fine because of a pretty girl? or girls even?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:dude, it was obviously a joke, how can anyone believe denver is fine because of a pretty girl? or girls even?

Was telling people it's a good idea to go to Chapman or Whittier a joke? Was saying "A JD is a JD is a JD" a joke? You went on some rampage about how a JD, any JD, will help people in their careers more than not having one, completely ignoring the issues of cost-benefit analysis.

You're a troll, dude. No one listens to you because it's quite obvious how big a troll you are because all your advice goes directly against good decision making.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:06 pm

law4vus wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:dude, it was obviously a joke, how can anyone believe denver is fine because of a pretty girl? or girls even?

Was telling people it's a good idea to go to Chapman or Whittier a joke? Was saying "A JD is a JD is a JD" a joke? You went on some rampage about how a JD, any JD, will help people in their careers more than not having one, completely ignoring the issues of cost-benefit analysis.

You're a troll, dude. No one listens to you because it's quite obvious how big a troll you are because all your advice goes directly against good decision making.

a JD is a JD is a JD is a joke, but i stand by that i believe a JD from a the worst school is still better than not having one. I agree with u that most of suffer and fail in obtaining a JD from such schools, and certainly not worth it for those already have careers, however, for those who r working dead beat jobs with no future, it's possible that JD could open new doors and career paths that were simply not available before, yes risk is huge but for them, including myself, it is a risk worth taking

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:
law4vus wrote:

a JD is a JD is a JD is a joke, but i stand by that i believe a JD from a the worst school is still better than not having one. I agree with u that most of suffer and fail in obtaining a JD from such schools, and certainly not worth it for those already have careers, however, for those who r working dead beat jobs with no future, it's possible that JD could open new doors and career paths that were simply not available before, yes risk is huge but for them, including myself, it is a risk worth taking

So risking 200K at a school like Whittier, where there's a 90% chance you don't get a job that pays any more than you make now (that is if you even GET a job), is a good choice? A 90% chance you work the same deadbeat job with 200K of non-dischargeable debt on top of it is a good choice?

Okay, dude. Maybe if the JD from the bad school is free and you have three years to waste. But paying money for a JD, in most cases, is NOT better than not having one at all when considering how much money and time is wasted in getting one.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:19 pm

i am just saying, many ppl who came for advise are met with overwhelming negative opinions are lower ranked schools, which i do not believe is fair. like i said earlier, i am not disagreeing with u that many, or majority will fail, but as in my personal case, i had a BA and jobs with no chance of advancement, it was either be poor for the rest of my life, or take a gamble for a better life, and I am sure there are many people like me when they asked abt such schools, in the end it's up to them to decide if its worth it to go or not based on their personal circumstances, it's not right to simply say "don't go, gtfo, titcr", and i do know some grads from these schools, they are not rich, but they get by just fine, better than what it would've been if they had never gone

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Even on TLS, interest is often left out of the equation.

With a 10-year term on a $200k loan, you'll pay $76,000 in interest.

Your payments will be $2,300/month or $27,600/year.

Thus, if you make $50,000/year, you'll be living on $22,400/year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”