Berk$$$ or NU$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berk or NU

Berk
41
82%
NU
8
16%
Retake
1
2%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:16 pm

...
Voting was/is clear, way too much personal info to leave online.
Last edited by SemperLegal on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm

...
Voting was/is clear, way too much personal info to leave online.
Last edited by SemperLegal on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bigeast03
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:44 pm

How much is $$$ and $?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

So Cal is a lot cheaper because of the GI bill, right? If Cal is really that much cheaper I think it is hands down Boalt. The only advantage I see for NU is the fact that you would be closer to your wife. But Chicago is far enough away that it's a moot point imo.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Removed
Last edited by 005618502 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:23 pm

bigeast03 wrote:How much is $$$ and $?


Probally total indebtedness of 15k-20k@berk and 60k-80k@NU

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:27 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:How much is $$$ and $?


Probally total indebtedness of 15k-20k@berk and 60k-80k@NU


At first glance I would say this is easily Berkeley. After thinking about it, I could see an argument for NU depending on how often you and your wife will be flying back and forth. 40-60k is a lot, but if you guys are flying often I could see an argument that the 3-4 hours each way that you will be saving could make it worth it.

decaf735
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:39 am

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby decaf735 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:33 pm

disagree.

i think berkeley is the closest thing to the obvious choice here.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
At first glance I would say this is easily Berkeley. After thinking about it, I could see an argument for NU depending on how often you and your wife will be flying back and forth. 40-60k is a lot, but if you guys are flying often I could see an argument that the 3-4 hours each way that you will be saving could make it worth it.


The other issue is that I feel, perhaps without justification, that NU has a wider reach, making it easier for me to find Biglaw in whatever city she ends up in. Not sure how flexible her "OCI" is, her school is lower ranked, but doctors are in demand. Can't find a good version of TLS or NALP for doctor's.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:How much is $$$ and $?


Probally total indebtedness of 15k-20k@berk and 60k-80k@NU


At first glance I would say this is easily Berkeley. After thinking about it, I could see an argument for NU depending on how often you and your wife will be flying back and forth. 40-60k is a lot, but if you guys are flying often I could see an argument that the 3-4 hours each way that you will be saving could make it worth it.


My gf is in DC, and the flights aren't that bad. But Chicago to SF flights are like 5 hours. I imagine SF to East Coast is at least 6.

But, realistically, they are only going to fly back at forth maybe 5-7 times during school. You are talking about 25-35 hours extra flight time for 40-60 grand? WORTH IT. Especially since he can work or sleep on the flights.

And there is like a 40% chance his wife will fuck some other dude anyway. No reason to throw the money away.

Though I encourage you to try to negotiate with northwestern's financial aid people. They may meet the difference.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
bk1 wrote:
At first glance I would say this is easily Berkeley. After thinking about it, I could see an argument for NU depending on how often you and your wife will be flying back and forth. 40-60k is a lot, but if you guys are flying often I could see an argument that the 3-4 hours each way that you will be saving could make it worth it.


The other issue is that I feel, perhaps without justification, that NU has a wider reach, making it easier for me to find Biglaw in whatever city she ends up in. Not sure how flexible her "OCI" is, her school is lower ranked, but doctors are in demand. Can't find a good version of TLS or NALP for doctor's.


I disagree. I think that your wife having a job there is significant ties. Berkeley has a strong reputation even though some hate on them here. They are often thought to have the best public law school (even though Michigan is not higher ranked). I think that name will travel just fine with the right ties. Berkeley with 15K or less in debt is an obvious answer in my book. I wish I had that option and I got a small scholly in the T14 I just found out

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

whoops

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:How much is $$$ and $?


Probally total indebtedness of 15k-20k@berk and 60k-80k@NU


At first glance I would say this is easily Berkeley. After thinking about it, I could see an argument for NU depending on how often you and your wife will be flying back and forth. 40-60k is a lot, but if you guys are flying often I could see an argument that the 3-4 hours each way that you will be saving could make it worth it.


My gf is in DC, and the flights aren't that bad. But Chicago to SF flights are like 5 hours. I imagine SF to East Coast is at least 6.

But, realistically, they are only going to fly back at forth maybe 5-7 times during school. You are talking about 25-35 hours extra flight time for 40-60 grand? WORTH IT. Especially since he can work or sleep on the flights.

And there is like a 40% chance his wife will fuck some other dude anyway. No reason to throw the money away.

Though I encourage you to try to negotiate with northwestern's financial aid people. They may meet the difference.


Dont. You dont know their specific situation.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 pm

I think your bigger problem is that you'll have to know where your wife is going to work by August 2013. Is she going to know where her residency is by then?

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:And there is like a 40% chance his wife will fuck some other dude anyway. No reason to throw the money away.


She has had 2+ years of my absence to do so already and hasn't, so at this point her sunken costs are probally too large.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:And there is like a 40% chance his wife will fuck some other dude anyway. No reason to throw the money away.


She has had 2+ years of my absence to do so already and hasn't, so at this point her sunken costs are probally too large.


You should probably let her make the call about whether being 5 hours further away is a big deal. SOunds like she earned that.

What I forgot to consider was time zones. The flying isn't a problem, but being 3 hours behind will make talking on the phone a lot harder. Especially when you both will have limited time.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think your bigger problem is that you'll have to know where your wife is going to work by August 2013. Is she going to know where her residency is by then?


Nope.

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:And there is like a 40% chance his wife will fuck some other dude anyway. No reason to throw the money away.


She has had 2+ years of my absence to do so already and hasn't, so at this point her sunken costs are probally too large.


You should probably let her make the call about whether being 5 hours further away is a big deal. SOunds like she earned that.

What I forgot to consider was time zones. The flying isn't a problem, but being 3 hours behind will make talking on the phone a lot harder. Especially when you both will have limited time.


Very, very true. It sounds a lot easier than it actually is. And everyone thinks they are different but make sure you keep this in your mind if you have never experienced this before.

rklafehn
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby rklafehn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm

I would say Berk because it has better weather and is cheaper although it seems as if its biglaw placement lags behind the rest of the T13 because of its location. However, not sure if the difference is worth the difference in COA the two schools.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Hjones33 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:And there is like a 40% chance his wife will fuck some other dude anyway. No reason to throw the money away.


She has had 2+ years of my absence to do so already and hasn't, so at this point her sunken costs are probally too large.


You should probably let her make the call about whether being 5 hours further away is a big deal. SOunds like she earned that.

What I forgot to consider was time zones. The flying isn't a problem, but being 3 hours behind will make talking on the phone a lot harder. Especially when you both will have limited time.


I currently am 6-9 time zones away from her, depending on the day of the week.


Edited for quotefail
Last edited by SemperLegal on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Did you apply to Penn, NYU &/or Columbia?

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Did you apply to Penn, NYU &/or Columbia?


Out at all three.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Berk$$$ or NU$

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Same for Virginia & Duke ? If so, your remaining choices are outstanding. I'd lean toward Northwestern in your situation due to travel time & time zone differences pointed out above in addition to the higher liklihood of East Coast or Chicago employment.
Visit both law schools & your choice should be much easier, in my opinion.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests