(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LeBronBBall

Re: In at Fordham - is it worth applying 15-29 for NYC big law?

Postby LeBronBBall » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm

what percentage of kids at Fordham get biglaw gigs? I'd guess around 20-25%...

Although you would have a decent chance of getting Biglaw from Fordham, you essentially need to rank top 20% to get biglaw i think, which is no easy feat at Fordham. Also, cost of living and tuition are really expensive in NYC, so it is kinda risky if going at sticker imo. If you do get into Cornell, definitely go there.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:44 pm

The reason Fordham has so many graduates at V10/V20/V50 kinds of firms is because all of those firms have big NY offices, which are right next door and do OCI there. But those numbers the school gives out are honest--they often do land more students in the giant law firms than regional T-14s (the discrepancy is that because Fordham is totally NYC-centric, almost no one lands biglaw in other cities or regional secondary markets).

Generally I would agree Fordham is the best choice outside of T-14 if all you're thinking about is NYC Biglaw. I mean, Vandy might give an equal chance of landing NYC Biglaw (although a fewer absolute number, because basically everyone that gets Biglaw in Fordham gets it in NY I think), but it's harder to get into, and a median Vandy student probably gets some $$ at Fordham.

But the non-NYC Biglaw opportunities are probably much better at schools like Vandy or UCLA.

I would guess by the time OP graduates more than 20-25% of Fordham will be getting Biglaw. NY hiring was up last year. But who knows, everything's on egg shells right now.

LeBronBBall

Postby LeBronBBall » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 pm

ahnhub wrote:But the non-NYC Biglaw opportunities are probably much better at schools like Vandy or UCLA.

Not sure about that one. LA biglaw market got really hit hard in recession... i heard it's pretty tough to get LA biglaw out of UCLA unless you're at least top third of your class, and UCLA doesn't get much NYC biglaw recruiting at its OCI. I'd guess a Fordham student has roughly similar shot at a biglaw gig as a UCLA student, all else equal, and provided that Fordham student is interviewing for NYC biglaw.

Also to answer OP's question, i think u should still apply to other schools and see how much money each school may throw at you. After taking scholarships into account, perhaps your decision to pick a law school will become easier.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:50 am

ahnhub wrote:Generally I would agree Fordham is the best choice outside of T-14 if all you're thinking about is NYC Biglaw.

But, as has been mentioned, if "all you're thinking about is NYC Biglaw", then going to Fordham is a bad idea because you most likely will not get it. Same with all schools in this range and biglaw in their respective markets.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”