Joint Degree programs? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Geneva

Silver

Joint Degree programs?

Post by Geneva » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:46 pm

If I want to do health law, should i be looking into programs that offer the op to get a masters in public health in addition to a jd? is a jd from a school that doesnt specialize in health law sufficient training to get a job in health law?

eaper

Silver

Re: Joint Degree programs?

Post by eaper » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:02 am

Geneva wrote:If I want to do health law, should i be looking into programs that offer the op to get a masters in public health in addition to a jd? is a jd from a school that doesnt specialize in health law sufficient training to get a job in health law?
I can't really answer the first part, but, towards the second half of your question- specialties can help, but they really don't make that big of a difference in most cases. It would probably be a better idea to go to a school that places well in a market with a lot of health law going on than going to a school with a good health law program but worse job prospects. At least, that's what I would think.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:36 pm

I suppose that overall rankings>program rankings?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 pm

that really does seem to be the consensus on this site. But I don't know to what extent it is sound. Of course T14 over a T2 with a strong program, but what if that's not the case. SLU has the best healthcare law program, but it is a lowly ranked TT. What if you couldn't gain admission to like t40 schools? If you want healthcare law, I would think that SLU>Pepperdine, or something like that. Plus SLU would probably give you money if you could get admitted to schools that high. But I really don't know if any of this is true. I'm just kinda spitballing, so I would do some digging into firm bio's and shit like that.

Voodoo94

New

Post by Voodoo94 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Get the MPH!

As a JD/MPH graduate myself, I suggest that you get the MPH. It will open other doors if your nascent legal career hits a dead end after OCI. Although "health law" is currently your primary focus, if you don't get much traction on the hiring front with firms, the MPH will provide additional opportunities for meaningful employment in government, consulting/contracting firms, the US Public Health Service, etc. These alternate paths likely won't be options for individuals with "plain vanilla" JDs.

The legal employment situation is bleak right now and the MPH provides myriad additional avenues for a meaningful and rewarding career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”