Health Law Rankings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JK910

New

Health Law Rankings

Post by JK910 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

Does anyone know how USN determines their healthcare law rankings? Please spare me the usual flames of how rankings are corrupt, waste of time, etc. I'm just curious what factors they use and how they relatively rate them to obtain this list. It boggles my mind how a school such as Widener could even end up on a top 20 list like this.

Thanks for the info!

TheFactor

Silver

Re: Health Law Rankings

Post by TheFactor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:42 pm

nobody cares

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+news+law+school ... ethodology

"Specialty rankings are based solely on nominations by legal educators at peer institutions."

And BTW you shouldn't even be reading these rankings. Bad for your mind.

Voodoo94

New

Post by Voodoo94 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:45 am

Good afternoon everyone,

Does anyone know how USN determines their healthcare law rankings? Please spare me the usual flames of how rankings are corrupt, waste of time, etc. I'm just curious what factors they use and how they relatively rate them to obtain this list. It boggles my mind how a school such as Widener could even end up on a top 20 list like this.
Forget the rankings. As suggested, they are "bought and paid for" through aggressive advertising to peer institutions for votes/nominations.

I will say this. Be very skeptical of any school claiming expertise in "health law" that isn't part of a Research 1 university with an academic medical center (e.g. places like Widener and Seton Hall).

If you want to work in the health field, you want to find a place with an integrtaed, interdisciplinary curriculum - preferably one that will allow you to interface and possibly take classes at other schools within the university.

In this economy, I would take a good, hard look at a JD/MPH or a JD/MHA program. Unless you go to a T6, the MPH or MHA will probably wind up being the degree that will actually qualify you/get you in the door for your first job with the JD providing an assist by distinguishing you from other candidates.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Voodoo94 wrote: If you want to work in the health field, you want to find a place with an integrtaed, interdisciplinary curriculum - preferably one that will allow you to interface and possibly take classes at other schools within the university.

In this economy, I would take a good, hard look at a JD/MPH or a JD/MHA program. Unless you go to a T6, the MPH or MHA will probably wind up being the degree that will actually qualify you/get you in the door for your first job with the JD providing an assist by distinguishing you from other candidates.
lol wut?

Also, wtf if health law? You gotta get more specific

If you want to do policy, maybe the above would be okay.
Health finance? Work at a biglaw firm.
Drugs and drug devices IP? Work at an IP firm
Med mal? Work at a med mal plaintiff's or defense firm
Medicare claims violations? Work at USAO or a firm that does that collar defense

etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”