Canada or US? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
impulse999

New

Canada or US?

Post by impulse999 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Accepted into a couple of top Canadian law schools already, and I am guessing probably one of MVP (Not sure if CCN, since I didn't ED)
(Numbers -- GPA > 3.7 LSAT > 170, don't want to get too specific).

I don't really know if I want to work in Canada or US (I am Canadian with US Green card), although all my family lives in the US, my friends + SO are all in Canada.

Basically where should I go to minimize the chance of shit-law/no-job??? Is the bad press about US law schools overblown (at least for T14)? or should i just buckle down and stay where I am.

Should I even consider schools outside of T14 for full scholarships???

Thanks

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Canada or US?

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm

impulse999 wrote:Accepted into a couple of top Canadian law schools already, and I am guessing probably one of MVP (Not sure if CCN, since I didn't ED)

I don't really know if I want to work in Canada or US (I am Canadian with US Green card), although all my family lives in the US, my friends + SO are all in Canada.

Basically where should I go to minimize the chance of shit-law/no-job??? Is the bad press about US law schools overblown (at least for T14)? or should i just buckle down and stay where I am.

Thanks
you don't really give a ton of info. That said, I think if you get MVP, the only Canadian school you should consider is Toronto

impulse999

New

Post by impulse999 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
impulse999 wrote:Accepted into a couple of top Canadian law schools already, and I am guessing probably one of MVP (Not sure if CCN, since I didn't ED)

Thanks
you don't really give a ton of info. That said, I think if you get MVP, the only Canadian school you should consider is Toronto
M is definitely my top choice (folks in michigan), but is it worth 150k in debt compared with almost 0 debt UBC??

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm curious about this too. I have similar numbers and suspect I'm in at U of T (because they take the best 3 of 4 years, and for me that makes my GPA 3.95). I have also already been accepted at Michigan with $$.

cloud2010

New

Post by cloud2010 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:16 pm

sach1282 wrote:I'm curious about this too. I have similar numbers and suspect I'm in at U of T (because they take the best 3 of 4 years, and for me that makes my GPA 3.95). I have also already been accepted at Michigan with $$.
Wow that's awesome you got Michigan with $$, I still haven't heard back :(

I got into U of T this week, but the tuition is pretty steep, although a lot better than Michigan Sticker.

What are my chances for NYC big law if I went to Michigan vs. U of T/UBC/McGill? (I can minimize debt by a lot by going to McGill lol)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 am

cloud2010 wrote: What are my chances for NYC big law if I went to Michigan vs. U of T
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150681

Enjoy.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:43 am

FUBAR wrote:
cloud2010 wrote: What are my chances for NYC big law if I went to Michigan vs. U of T
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=150681

Enjoy.
From what I remember, and a cursory second glance, Toronto isn't anywhere in that data

echo

New

Post by echo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:04 am

cloud2010 wrote: What are my chances for NYC big law if I went to Michigan vs. U of T/UBC/McGill? (I can minimize debt by a lot by going to McGill lol)
I think in about a year I am likely to be doing the U of T v. MVP debate.

Guessing if you are hell bent on NYC biglaw you are better at Michigan than any of the 3 Canadian schools. After that U of T is likely your best option (I've heard McGill is supposed to have a solid international rep but don't know how they place in New York). Never heard too much about UBC grads going to New York.

With that said, Canadian schools have a lot of advantages if you are at all risk averse. Lower cost, and better outcomes if you don't do as well in law school as you hope. You will likely never make as much as a partner in an NYC firm, but you will probably find a decent job as a lawyer upon graduation.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I'd actually go to Canada but only to McGill because of Montreal

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Toronto & Michigan are great choices for biglaw. UBC & McGill offer great, but different, opportunities. Toronto may be the better choice between Michigan & Toronto based on total cost of attendance. Toronto is probably a bit more prestigious, but that is a close call.

P.S. Toronto may have a joint dual degree (US & Canadian law degrees) program with NYU. This would require 4 years of law school, but well worth it in your situation. (Not sure but the joint degree program with NYU may be with Osgoode Hall. Either way it's a great opportunity, in my opinion, for your situation.)

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Personally, because I'm an international (read U.S.) applicant, and received a scholarship offer from Ann Arbor, Michigan is actually less expensive than Toronto.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 pm

The key words being: "...because you're an international applicant." International tuition is quite high at Toronto (equivalent to US law schools' tuition). And this is very different from the OP's situation.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:03 pm

This is slightly off-topic, but it needs to be said: If you're eligible, apply for naturalization in the U.S. and attain your U.S. citizenship prior to relocating to Canada and attending a Canadian school. A green card is not permanent and could be revoked if you are absent from the U.S. for a prolonged period of time. In general, 180 days of absence could result in your being considered an "arriving alien" when returning to the U.S., which means you would be subject to the grounds of inadmissibility under section 212 of the Immigration & Nationality Act.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icpb

Bronze

Post by icpb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:40 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Toronto is probably a bit more prestigious, but that is a close call.
No, Toronto isn't more prestigious than Michigan; maybe it is in Canada, but that's about the only country that may be true.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Prestige is difficult to measure. In the US, Michigan Law probably has more prestige, but outside of the US my best guess is that Toronto Law has more prestige in English speaking common law countries & in Western Europe.

P.S. In the most recent ranking of the World's Best Universities, Michigan placed at #14/400 while Toronto was #23/400. Toronto's law school, like Michigan's, is outstanding. Toronto is consistently rated as the top law school in Canada & offers significant biglaw placement both in the US & Canada. Currently, job prospects are better for a Toronto law graduate than for a graduate of Michigan Law School.

Toronto's law & medical schools drive its reputation, whereas Michigan's reputation is driven by a wider variety of academic disciplines.

Mauve Dinosaur

New

Post by Mauve Dinosaur » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:33 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Prestige is difficult to measure. In the US, Michigan Law probably has more prestige, but outside of the US my best guess is that Toronto Law has more prestige in English speaking common law countries & in Western Europe.
I'm not sure if that's entirely true about Europe. The overwhelming majority of non-Canadian placements from U of T are with NYC or Boston biglaw. Most Canadian lawyers outside of North America seem to have attended McGill.

That said, if I were in OPs position I would go to U of T. Although very high by Canadian standards, tuition is still a lot less, and if you don't mind working in Canada in the event NY doesn't pan out, you're looking at close to a 100% placement rate for articling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”