I need some REAL advice please...158/2.21

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
joemoviebuff

Re: I need some REAL advice please...158/2.21

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Megamanvix wrote:
SplitLife wrote:
Megamanvix wrote:Where do you want to practice and do you want the big city, town, or rural are the main questions to be asked before answering your question.

I'm currently in Southern California. I understand it's going to be very difficult for me to stay/practice here. I'm open to practicing in CA/NY/NV/AZ as of right now. At the same time, if someone directs me in the direction of a school in any other region, one that will significantly increase my chances of making a decent living after law school, then of course I will consider.

I know Southwestern Law in LA has a good regional influence as far as the high % of people they send to the DA/PD's office as well as smaller private firms. I will definitely be applying there.

Forget about going anywhere other than California. Law School is a regional thing by nature and by staying in state you greatly increase your chances of being accepted. Not only that, considering the amount of law schools California has you should be able to find work in your crazy lawsuit-filled state.

Southwestern, Chapman, Golden Gate, and any other schools in this range. You will probably have to settle for Tier 3. Shoot for Santa Clara because nothing is ever set in stone, something the clowns on this forum would know if they listened in class. If you get wait-listed work hard to get accepted, volunteer work, call every week, you know the drill.

And don't worry about scholarships, go to the better school, you will make that money back 10-fold if you go to a school with a "name".

Who the fuck is this guy? ^^^^

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:49 pm

SplitLife wrote:
IAFG wrote: TLS don't know shit about the admissions practices of bottom feeder scam schools.

This was probably the most helpful part of your post, thanks for trying though, I guess?

I wasn't trying, I think you're stupid to look only for validation and to go full steam ahead when you already know better.

That said, please realize that anyone ITT giving advice should be given about as much weight as asking cleverbot. The beauty of TLS is that the wisdom is crowd-sourced. Over time, TLS misunderstandings are ironed out, we get a better grasp of the market as more people share their experiences, etc. There is no such phenomenon around here for the tier of schools you're talking about.

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:00 pm

northside

Postby northside » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:26 pm

I realize that what I'm about to say is a bit hypocritical but I can't bite my tongue any longer.

I NEVER disclose my AD(H)D. Ever. (except I just did.) I stand in solidarity with you but I just have to say:

I've been medicated since my sophomore year in high school. Graduated Summa from a private university. Studied for the LSAT for a year and pulled a 164. You'll learn real quick that people don't care about your ADD because our culture has degraded it so far down (think your friends who post facebook status along the lines of, "OMG I Can't watch The Voice ANNNND WRITE A PAPER AT THE SAME TIME. I MUST HAVE ADD! LOLZOMG. I NEED ADDERALLLL!"). If you say "I have ADD" this is what most people are going to think.

Your life in college must look completely different from everyone you know. You can't go to study groups. You can't listen to your iPod while studying. You have to sit in the front. You only take notes by hand. You write EVERY due date down, twice. You schedule the library like it's a job and find a nook in the back and never tell anyone you know where it is. You go to office hours all the time. You have to annotate everything you read which means you print every PDF, and highlight every book. It's expensive. It's time consuming. Its not as fun as going to bars, but it's what you have to do to get to where you want to be.

True, you can't re-do undergrad. That sucks. But you can in the future refuse to use it as a crutch. If you do it is only going to hold you back. You won't be able to tell a judge, "I'm sorry, I forgot my meds today". You won't be able to tell a client that the reason you lost an important document is because you left your planner in the car. It's not something that is holding you back, it is something that makes you who you are. Accept it. Don't succumb to it.

You've been dealt a hand that sucks. I know--I'm right there with you. But it is possible to succeed with ADD. It takes discipline. But it is possible.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:05 pm

northside wrote:
Your life in college must look completely different from everyone you know. You can't go to study groups. You can't listen to your iPod while studying. You have to sit in the front. You only take notes by hand. You write EVERY due date down, twice. You schedule the library like it's a job and find a nook in the back and never tell anyone you know where it is. You go to office hours all the time. You have to annotate everything you read which means you print every PDF, and highlight every book. It's expensive. It's time consuming. Its not as fun as going to bars, but it's what you have to do to get to where you want to be.

Story of my undergrad. Nearly verbatim.

I just started taking strattera, huge difference. I managed to get through 3 years and the LSAT without it, and was able to manage. I find that they slow down my thought process too much sometimes, but there isn't a perfect solution.

FUBAR

Postby FUBAR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:03 am

retake

Return to “Choosing a Law School”