Any Law Schools UNDER/OVERrated??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jk2011

New

Re: Any Law Schools UNDER/OVERrated???

Post by jk2011 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Underrated: School I go to
Overrated: School you go to

/thread
+10

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 am

Larry David wrote:Eat my dirty old cunt fuck face
Here, have a long timeout.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 am

Zazelmaf wrote:Overrated: Yale
Is everybody going to let this go?

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:23 am

Still too soon for that pic, Van Winkle... :(

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:33 am

quiver wrote:
Yale is kind of like Jesus. Is it even possible for it to be overrated? Sure it's already in the #1 spot, but for some things, that's just not quite good enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:38 am

introversional wrote:In preparing for finals, I compared/contrasted my outlines with several commerical ones from Harvard, NYU, Columbia, etc.

It's, like, all the same.

#rankingsarecontinuouslyperpetuatedillusionswheninfactwearealllearningthesamematerial
Glad this thread delivered at least one gem.

AttaBoy

New

Post by AttaBoy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:55 am

quiver wrote:
No one thinks this. That guy is just a troll. Don't feed it.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:54 pm

lolwut?

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:56 pm

TaipeiMort wrote: Overrated:Berkeley.
Just because I'll never get in... I want to believe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:32 pm

GeorgeTTTown

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:i think american is underrated, constantly bashed on here, chapman is also underrated, should be at least bottom of tier 2 instead of tier 3
Agreed Chapman is the jewel of them all! Problem tax guy?

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
You know, I really like some of Berkeley's faculty. I just think that the UC system's tuition raises are too high for most students, and their job placement has gone into the gutter. The California market has been having issues as well, and it seems like firms (at least those whose summers' gave me info while I was doing due diligence) have been pulling from Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, Yale (in that order), then tops at UCLA, USC, Cal together, then tops at other CA programs. Because it doesn't seem like Berkeley is even getting a marginal advantage over UCLA or USC, I really think it might be overrated.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
You know, I really like some of Berkeley's faculty. I just think that the UC system's tuition raises are too high for most students, and their job placement has gone into the gutter. The California market has been having issues as well, and it seems like firms (at least those whose summers' gave me info while I was doing due diligence) have been pulling from Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, Yale (in that order), then tops at UCLA, USC, Cal together, then tops at other CA programs. Because it doesn't seem like Berkeley is even getting a marginal advantage over UCLA or USC, I really think it might be overrated.

I don't think your numbers are accurate here.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

That's quite a discrepancy indeed. It's within the same ballpark as its traditional peeres, plus or minus a few percentage points that go up and down for every school every other year. Cal's like any other school in the T-14 that isn't HYS: try hard to get above median, and even if you are above median, you better either have work experience or be able to interview. These placement stats don't show "going into the gutter," unless you mean to say that somehow Cal once used to boast firm hiring prospects on par with Columbia or Harvard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:32 pm

This is a different take on this thread but I think the right approach is to throw rankings out the window once you reach a certain point, and focus on good regional schools.

By this rationale, I would say schools like Notre Dame and Minnesota are over-rated and schools like Wayne State and Houston are under-rated. ND and Minnesota give you a small chance (15-25%) of landing Biglaw and whatever other advantages come with being highly-ranked schools (which are not negligible, but probably not worth a ton of debt). Wayne State and Houston give a much, much lower chance of Biglaw (these days maybe the chance is zero at Wayne State), less prestigious clerking opportunities, etc.--but they dominate a certain sector of their regional market. If you want to work in Texas Houston really might be just as good a choice as going to some T-14 on the east coast.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:41 pm

ahnhub wrote:If you want to work in Texas Houston really might be just as good a choice as going to some T-14 on the east coast.
If you have ties to Texas, no.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:[
I don't think your numbers are accurate here.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

That's quite a discrepancy indeed. It's within the same ballpark as its traditional peeres, plus or minus a few percentage points that go up and down for every school every other year. Cal's like any other school in the T-14 that isn't HYS: try hard to get above median, and even if you are above median, you better either have work experience or be able to interview. These placement stats don't show "going into the gutter," unless you mean to say that somehow Cal once used to boast firm hiring prospects on par with Columbia orHarvard.
I do think Berkeley used to be on par with Harvard, Chicago, and Columbia back in the day in CA. however that might be because I formed this opinion based upon Cal's general lay prestige in CA. I do think that CAL is a perler with UCLA and USC now in CA hiring, partially because SD OC and LA are hiring now, as is Silicon Valley, but SF big lit is in the gutter (except Sheppardmullin, Quinn, and Keker) where Berkeley outplaces most.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 am

Underrated from what I gather....Rutgers with in-state tuition + $$$?

Same for Temple or Nova I believe. This is just based on what I've heard though, don't shoot!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 am

emarxnj wrote:Underrated from what I gather....Rutgers with in-state tuition + $$$?

Same for Temple or Nova I believe. This is just based on what I've heard though, don't shoot!
Egregious Philly trolling is egregious.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:03 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Underrated from what I gather....Rutgers with in-state tuition + $$$?

Egregious Philly trolling is egregious.

So...no on Temple/Nova then? Not trying to troll anyone, maybe I've just heard wrong.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”