Just need a little advice

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do you guys think ?

Chicago's John Marshall School of Law
7%
Penn State - MA- American Studies
21%
University of Houston-Victoria -MBA Program
21%
Texas A&M Commerce- MBA Program
50%

Total votes: 14

amw0254

Just need a little advice

Postby amw0254 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 pm

So I got an acceptance letter from Chicago's John Marshall School of Law and I just wanted some advice on if that's a good idea. The thing is , I was also accepted into a MA program at Penn State (American Studies). -If I got there I could probably be a writer or professor. Also I was accepted in the MBA program at Univ of Houston-Victoria and Texas A&M- Commerce. What do you guys think? Just some advice, NO NEGATIVITY PLEASE!!!! IF you don't have anything nice to SAY, then don't Speak at all.

in2win

Postby in2win » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

u
Last edited by in2win on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marmot8

Re: Just need a little advice

Postby marmot8 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm

do you want to be a writer, professor or lawyer?

amw0254

Postby amw0254 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Honestly, I have no idea, but I dont wanna take time off to think about it either

North

Postby North » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:59 pm

amw0254 wrote:I dont wanna take time off to think about it either
But, that's exactly what you should do. Especially considering that that won't cost you $100,000.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:08 pm

North wrote:
But, that's exactly what you should do. Especially considering that that won't cost you $100,000.

OP basically seems to be saying, "Give me advice, but ONLY if I want to hear it."

OP generally strikes me as young, immature, needy, confused, and overly stubborn. They seem exactly like the kind of person that isn't ready for any form of grad school, and yet will persist on seeking advice until they find someone to tell them they are. That aside, JMLS at sticker would be a huge mistake for even a mature and capable applicant.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm

amw0254 wrote:Honestly, I have no idea, but I dont wanna take time off to think about it either

Ok.. ..

Take the cheapest option then

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 pm

amw0254 wrote:Honestly, I have no idea, but I dont wanna take time off to think about it either

The term "taking time off" is pretty ridiculous. It's not like you'd be sitting around doing nothing while trying to search your soul to decide what you want to do. You'd be working, maybe getting work experience that would let you know if you want to go into management or working as a paralegal to let you know if you'd enjoy working at a firm.

Don't do the MA, if you want a degree in American Studies, got to a fully funded PhD program, and if you can't get into one then it isn't worth the time or $.

Also, spending a couple years working could help you get into a better MBA program or even a better law school (some of which like/require work experience).

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:46 am

go to a&m, u deserve to be an aggie

eaper

Postby eaper » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:19 am

thederangedwang wrote:go to a&m, u deserve to be an aggie

heyheyhey. TAMU-C are not Aggies.

Anyways, OP, you need to at least take a few weeks (not necessarily a year) thinking about what you want to do. I would say figure that out, then retake whichever test that would get you that goal... unfortunately, by that point, you'll have to wait another cycle for law school most likely. No matter what you choose, I would suggest considering the possible debt you'd get into, what possible jobs you could get with that degree, and if you really want that job. If these are your only options, you may want to rethink choosing any of them. Anyways, good luck deciding.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:52 am

vanwinkle wrote:
North wrote:

OP basically seems to be saying, "Give me advice, but ONLY if I want to hear it."

OP generally strikes me as young, immature, needy, confused, and overly stubborn. They seem exactly like the kind of person that isn't ready for any form of grad school, and yet will persist on seeking advice until they find someone to tell them they are. That aside, JMLS at sticker would be a huge mistake for even a mature and capable applicant.

That was I wanted to say, but I couldn't find the polite words.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:08 am

amw0254 wrote:So I got an acceptance letter from Chicago's John Marshall School of Law and I just wanted some advice on if that's a good idea. The thing is , I was also accepted into a MA program at Penn State (American Studies). -If I got there I could probably be a writer or professor. Also I was accepted in the MBA program at Univ of Houston-Victoria and Texas A&M- Commerce. What do you guys think? Just some advice, NO NEGATIVITY PLEASE!!!! IF you don't have anything nice to SAY, then don't Speak at all.

Greetings,

JMU Chi is a toilet that will likely lead to unemployment/doc review, and you sound like you're fresh out of UG or with little meaningful work exp. so those MBA's would be a waste. MA might qualify you to teach HS or CC I guess. If you want to be a "writer" about American Studies, aka an academic, get a PhD, but job market for those sucks right now. However, I support your decision to make a horrible life choice because you don't want to stop and think about it. To each his own.

HTH

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 am

I fail to understand how anyone can have these incredibly random options. The last thing you should do is go into a grad/law program if you don't even know the field you want.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:06 am

Vanwinkle and Grizz are spot on. OP only wants to hear what he wants to hear. Don't bother asking for advice if you don't want it. All these options suck and you'll be crying yourself to sleep at night and chanting against the 1% in Zuccotti Park in no time. Sounds like you're gonna do whatever you want regardless of what anyone tells you, so enjoy being one of the tens of thousands of grads with a useless JD/MBA/liberal arts masters degree.
Last edited by romothesavior on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 am

If you do accounting at the MBA programs then MAYBE it would be worth it.

I know i sound like im beating a dead horse but... Retake or dont go. On the other hand maybe the horse isn't dead yet.........

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:29 am

worldtraveler wrote:I fail to understand how anyone can have these incredibly random options. The last thing you should do is go into a grad/law program if you don't even know the field you want.

+1. Sure, there was a time when I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but at least I figured it out before I started applying anywhere...the troubling part of this is that OP has obviously already taken the LSAT, GRE, and GMAT. Why anybody would waste the time and money to take these tests, when they don't know which field they want, is beyond me...

(edited for spelling error)
Last edited by vpintz on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:30 am

Have you looked into carpentry, beekeeping, or physical therapy school? Or were these options not listed on little slips of paper in the hat from which you're randomly choosing career options?

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:46 am

This is one of the strangest posts I have ever seen. Your random assortment of graduate options tells me that you have no clue what you want to do. Under that assumption, taking time off to determine your desired career path is the only viable option. If you want to go to law school, then apply to many law schools. If you want to get an MBA, then do the same. If you want a random masters, then do that. Don't just jump into law school without first actually wanting to attend, especially not a school like John Marshall. I assure you that you will be miserable if you attend law school and aren't fully committed to pursuing that path. Law school is a mental and emotional battle. You will hate it if you don't want to do it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”