The ranking system

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
publiusjr

The ranking system

Postby publiusjr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:52 pm

I was curious how the rankings are determined. For example, I recently read Touro Law has a
bar passage of 83% which ranks them higher than hofstra, new york law, syracuse, Pace, Albany, and Cuny.
They are essentially tied with Buffalo, yet they are considered tier 4 and bashed all over the place. However,
Cuny is a tier 3 and their bar passage is 67%. Hofstra is top 100. What is the forumula used?

http://pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfnews. ... RIMARY.gif

bk1

Re: The ranking system

Postby bk1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Did Google touch you in some inappropriate place and make you too afraid to use a search engine to answer your own question?

P.S. Hofstra, NYLS, Syracuse, Pace, Albany, CUNY, Buffalo, and Touro are all bashed in equal measure.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Because I'm in a particularly giving mood today: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... ology-2012

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:05 pm

why has st johns slipped to 95? werent they always considered much better?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 pm

publiusjr wrote:why has st johns slipped to 95? werent they always considered much better?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:42 am

publiusjr wrote:why has st johns slipped to 95? werent they always considered much better?

Assuming this isn't a shit flame, its common knowledge that all NY, and especially NYC, law schools beyond Cardozo are pretty bad. Some argue Fordham, some even say T14 or nothing. If you don't have the numbers to get into one of those law schools...I recommend vacating the state.

Edit - You know why Touro is a TTTT? It costs $41,070 in tuition, plus another $19,140 in living expenses every year. That's $60,210 total..every year, for three years. You'll be around $185,000 in debt after taking tuition increases into account. But they must place you into a job that will let you pay that off, right? Wrong. They don't even report 'at graduation' employment..a figure any reputable law school provides. Even some of the less reputable ones do it as well. At 9 months, 51% of graduates are employed. The median private sector salary? $60,000.

Their bar passage rate earns them absolutely nothing. This school is one of the biggest scams out there.
Last edited by mrtoren on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 am

bar passage rate means very very very little in how good a school is. All of the schools you mentioned are shitty.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:03 am

publiusjr wrote:I was curious how the rankings are determined. For example, I recently read Touro Law has a
bar passage of 83% which ranks them higher than hofstra, new york law, syracuse, Pace, Albany, and Cuny.
They are essentially tied with Buffalo, yet they are considered tier 4 and bashed all over the place. However,
Cuny is a tier 3 and their bar passage is 67%. Hofstra is top 100. What is the forumula used?

Below the top 30, they take all of the schools mix them up in a hat, and pull them out randomly.

They do the same for 20-30.

Then for 1-20 they keep the same rankings they've had for the past twenty years and just shift individual schools up or down a spot or two.

Except WUSTL. WUSTL they move up a spot a year.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:09 am

mrtoren wrote:

Assuming this isn't a shit flame, its common knowledge that all NY, and especially NYC, law schools beyond Cardozo are pretty bad. Some argue Fordham, some even say T14 or nothing. If you don't have the numbers to get into one of those law schools...I recommend vacating the state.

Edit - You know why Touro is a TTTT? It costs $41,070 in tuition, plus another $19,140 in living expenses every year. That's $60,210 total..every year, for three years. You'll be around $185,000 in debt after taking tuition increases into account. But they must place you into a job that will let you pay that off, right? Wrong. They don't even report 'at graduation' employment..a figure any reputable law school provides. Even some of the less reputable ones do it as well. At 9 months, 51% of graduates are employed. The median private sector salary? $60,000.

Their bar passage rate earns them absolutely nothing. This school is one of the biggest scams out there.

Blatant Cardozo trolling.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:11 am

SilverE2 wrote:Below the top 30, they take all of the schools mix them up in a hat, and pull them out randomly.

Then for 1-20 they keep the same rankings they've had for the past twenty years and just shift individual schools up or down a spot or two.

Wish we had a Karma feature on these boards... +1 to SilverE2. I just laughed out loud.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Below the top 30, they take all of the schools mix them up in a hat, and pull them out randomly.

Wish we had a Karma feature on these boards... +1 to SilverE2. I just laughed out loud.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:40 am

SilverE2 wrote:
publiusjr wrote:I was curious how the rankings are determined. For example, I recently read Touro Law has a

Below the top 30, they take all of the schools mix them up in a hat, and pull them out randomly.

this is hilariously credited

Postby 20130312 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:49 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

this is hilariously credited

Most accurate description of the rankings yet.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:01 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

Except WUSTL. WUSTL they move up a spot a year.[/quote]

In 4 years WUSTL will be a T14!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:02 pm

thexfactor wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:

Except WUSTL. WUSTL they move up a spot a year.[/quote]

In 4 years WUSTL will be a T14!

you were doing so well till now