gap between HYS and CCN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ahduth

Re: gap between HYS and CCN

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 am

mrloblaw wrote:
IAFG wrote:mrloblaw is trolling... right?

Probably just drifting between irony, hyperbole, and actually saying what I mean tactlessly enough that it looks that way.

I dunno, you knew the drill when you transferred - there are worse things than being median at NYU.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:02 am

ahduth wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Probably just drifting between irony, hyperbole, and actually saying what I mean tactlessly enough that it looks that way.

I dunno, you knew the drill when you transferred - there are worse things than being median at NYU.

Yeah, I guess I could have not got that sweet 1L scholarship before unemployment kicked in.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 am

mrloblaw wrote:
ahduth wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Yeah, I guess I could have not got that sweet 1L scholarship before unemployment kicked in.

I don't really get it, but I hear they're hiring in Bushwick.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:53 am

Don't you mean the gap between HYSCC and N?
Jk, just trolling people at NYU.

EDIT: Fingers crossed this doesn't reflect badly on my app to NYU. I would gladly attend.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:11 am

mrloblaw wrote:I find your post heartening, as it suggests that there is order in the universe and that, in fact, I am dumber and lazier than HYS kids. As to no practical results, I'm not sure how much better HYS is there than CCN, but I'm hating the results of being presumed median (transfer) here. I'd think a system where I can "stand out" as being top 30%, or top 40%, or whatever as opposed to median is more advantageous to a lot of kids than the huge median swath promoted by your grading system.

I don't know where you're getting or going with the bolded, but I will leave you to your self-musings. And by no practical results, I actually do mean, at HLS my year at least, between being top 30% and around median seems to not really matter. Interviewing skills differentiated. So I guess those who are a bit above median might be bitter that someone below them aren't really practically affected by their grades (being top 30% versus median is still probably a bit better, just not that important)...but they both end up getting the job they want (save super selective firms). Here, being presumed median is pretty nice, since apparently even V5 are delving deep into them (or a bit lower).

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:I find your post heartening, as it suggests that there is order in the universe and that, in fact, I am dumber and lazier than HYS kids. As to no practical results, I'm not sure how much better HYS is there than CCN, but I'm hating the results of being presumed median (transfer) here. I'd think a system where I can "stand out" as being top 30%, or top 40%, or whatever as opposed to median is more advantageous to a lot of kids than the huge median swath promoted by your grading system.

I don't know where you're getting or going with the bolded, but I will leave you to your self-musings. And by no practical results, I actually do mean, at HLS my year at least, between being top 30% and around median seems to not really matter. Interviewing skills differentiated. So I guess those who are a bit above median might be bitter that someone below them aren't really practically affected by their grades (being top 30% versus median is still probably a bit better, just not that important)...but they both end up getting the job they want (save super selective firms). Here, being presumed median is pretty nice, since apparently even V5 are delving deep into them (or a bit lower).

My td:lr: how do you judge your self-worth without grades? More importantly, how do you expect law firms to accurately judge your self-worth?

That shit would have kept me awake at night as a 1L.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't have time to respond to everything above. However, I only wanted to attend Chicago and Yale, and didn't apply to Harvard, NYU, Stanford, or Columbia. I don't think Chicago students necessarily choose Chicago because they didn't get into Harvard. The school has a reputation of being more friendly to students with families, conservative students, and those who particularly enjoy ideological discourse/diversity of opinion. Also, students who want a more small-school feel really only have two choices: Stanford and Chicago (unless they get into Yale). Anecdotally, I have a good number of friends who chose Chicago over Harvard with about equal financial packages.

My points were simply that Chicago has objectively better biglaw placement, long-term biglaw success, better Supreme Court placement, similar top A3 clerkship placement, and a great, non-diluted faculty.

I would like someone to find me empirics that contradict any of these assertions.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I would like someone to find me empirics that contradict any of these assertions.

Well, for one:
TaipeiMort wrote:However, I only wanted to attend Chicago and Yale, and didn't apply to Harvard, NYU, Stanford, or Columbia.

So this isn't you?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Shit just got real.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Shit just got real.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 pm

snehpets wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Shit just got real.

popcorn.fap.pdf

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Sorry you weren't clever enough to negotiate for aid, bro.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:14 pm

IAFG wrote:Sorry you weren't clever enough to negotiate for aid, bro.

True, true. I applied ED and thought that I would somehow get $, but then realized that I should have at least applied RD to NYU and Columbia, and Harvard to argue for money. The LSN graph is inaccurate. I applied early track to Duke, then just applied ED to Chicago because I knew I'd rather be there than anywhere else. I finished applications at other schools but withdrew them after I got accepted at Chicago.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:16 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:

True, true. I applied ED and thought that I would somehow get $, but then realized that I should have at least applied to NYU and Columbia, and Harvard to argue for money. The LSN graph is inaccurate. I applied early track to Duke, then just applied ED to Chicago because I knew I'd rather be there than anywhere else. I finished applications at other schools but didn't submit them after I got accepted at Chicago.

So what explains the complete dates on your LSN then?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:28 pm

dakure wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

True, true. I applied ED and thought that I would somehow get $, but then realized that I should have at least applied RD to NYU and Columbia, and Harvard to argue for money. The LSN graph is inaccurate. I applied early track to Duke, then just applied ED to Chicago because I knew I'd rather be there than anywhere else. I finished applications at other schools but withdrew them after I got accepted at Chicago.

Fixed.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:37 pm

A message for this "TapeiMort":

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:41 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:A message for this "TapeiMort":

Thanks. It was a pretty pimp Ad Hominem that was probably invited.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:46 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:A message for this "TapeiMort":

Thanks. It was a pretty pimp Ad Hominem that was probably invited.

you did ask for any of your statements to be disproved

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
dakure wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

pic
Fixed.

REALLY? you "accidentally" put in received and complete dates on lsn for cls and harvard?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 pm

mrloblaw wrote:My td:lr: how do you judge your self-worth without grades? More importantly, how do you expect law firms to accurately judge your self-worth?

lol not sure if bolded is serious...i don't actually believe people have to judge their self-worth through the lens of their law school grades. but more importantly, what do you think law firms are actually looking for? here, i think the emphasis is more on your resume, your likeability, and interviewing skills. i dont see why this is worse than using 1L law school grades, esp. in regards to actual biglaw work (where law school exams probably dont matter at all, but people skills and general likeability probably matter more lol). employers also assume s certain level of competency (correctly or incorrectly) if you're already at HLS, i.e. they use HLS admissions as a filter (but that essentially happens everywhere i'd argue, on a sliding scale where other factors such as grades may matter more as another filter if the first one [school placement] is not as useful in the eyes of the employer).

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:31 pm

dakure wrote:REALLY? you "accidentally" put in received and complete dates on lsn for cls and harvard?

No, reread what I wrote.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:35 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:My td:lr: how do you judge your self-worth without grades? More importantly, how do you expect law firms to accurately judge your self-worth?

lol not sure if bolded is serious...i don't actually believe people have to judge their self-worth through the lens of their law school grades. but more importantly, what do you think law firms are actually looking for? here, i think the emphasis is more on your resume, your likeability, and interviewing skills. i dont see why this is worse than using 1L law school grades, esp. in regards to actual biglaw work (where law school exams probably dont matter at all, but people skills and general likeability probably matter more lol). employers also assume s certain level of competency (correctly or incorrectly) if you're already at HLS, i.e. they use HLS admissions as a filter (but that essentially happens everywhere i'd argue, on a sliding scale where other factors such as grades may matter more as another filter if the first one [school placement] is not as useful in the eyes of the employer).

This basically is an emphasis of the adage that the hardest part about getting a law job is getting into a top school

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Hehehehe. I needed that after reading over 100 pages of procedure then walking home through the rain. I'll sit here and troll NYU all day, but that's obviously for completely different reasons (UPenn envy).

The one thing I will say about Chicago is I should never have withdraw from their waitlist, they gave people with my numbers money IIRC.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

HYSCCV

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Jasper21 wrote:My advisor graduated from Penn 2008 and he was was waitlisted at YLS

My advisor could totally beat up your advisor.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”