gap between HYS and CCN Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ph14

Gold

Re: gap between HYS and CCN

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:This might be my 0L noob status but it seems like the grading system would be way better at HYS too. Chicago's system stresses me out even now. Am I crazy or is this somewhat correct?
You would not like Harvard
Once again, care to clarify? Is this because the grading system is tough or because my comment made me seem a little gunnner/aspie? It's just been my impression that the Pass/Honors system makes it easy to distinguish the very top of the class but not anywhere below that. While other school's grading, especially U Chi's point system, would be a little tougher.
just cause the people at Harvard are supergunnery and the place is not the greatest WRT QOL
And what makes you say that? :roll:

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:35 pm

If your goals are those most often discussed on TLS (landing a law firm job at the highest vault ranked firm in NYC) then the gap isn't that big (in the case of Columbia I wonder if there's a gap at all v. Harvard). If your goal consists of almost anything else the gap is larger than any other gap within the top 14 (DOJ work, SEC work, working in a firm outside of NYC, etc.). There's a big affinity for CCN on this website over any other school grouping--my guess is it's because those are the highest ranked schools that a lot of people on here routinely get into. You can guarantee yourself a spot at one of these 3 with certain numerical stats; you can't do that with HYS (especially not Yale and Stanford).

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:This might be my 0L noob status but it seems like the grading system would be way better at HYS too. Chicago's system stresses me out even now. Am I crazy or is this somewhat correct?
Once again, care to clarify? Is this because the grading system is tough or because my comment made me seem a little gunnner/aspie? It's just been my impression that the Pass/Honors system makes it easy to distinguish the very top of the class but not anywhere below that. While other school's grading, especially U Chi's point system, would be a little tougher.
Harvard keeps trying to hide the ball with its constant changes to its grading scale, but their newest system just renames the letter grades. Employers won't be fooled.

And LOL at the idea that you can't guarantee yourself a spot in Harvard's class just through numbers. That diploma mill has made its standards very clear.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 pm

kaiser wrote:The gap between HYS and CCN isn't all that big. Does a gap exist? Yes. No one argues that HYS isn't the most elite tier, and on a level of its own. But don't kid yourself into thinking that CCN are that far off. I know a bunch of kids who got into HYS but decided on CCN with $$, as well as many lawyers from CCN who work at firms right alongside HYS grads.
Protip, a bunch of Fordham grads work at firms right alongside HYS grads.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Harvard keeps trying to hide the ball with its constant changes to its grading scale, but their newest system just renames the letter grades. Employers won't be fooled.

And LOL at the idea that you can't guarantee yourself a spot in Harvard's class just through numbers. That diploma mill has made its standards very clear.
I don't think 37% of the class was getting As before. It's definitely not as good as Yale or Stanford's, but I think it's an improvement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

That's why I was curious. Im sure Im taking a comparison of a school's grading system too far.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:44 pm

This Harvard grade thing is a mountain-out-of-molehill situation. It's Harvard. No one cares what your grades are.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:45 pm

ahduth wrote:This Harvard grade thing is a mountain-out-of-molehill situation. It's Harvard. No one cares what your grades are.
loool.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 pm

ahduth wrote:This Harvard grade thing is a mountain-out-of-molehill situation. It's Harvard. No one cares what your grades are.
Not quite the case. If that were true, they would have went all the way. Firms select among Harvard students based on the number of Ps and LPs and crap that they have. Students at lower ranked schools that do better than Harvard students have better options in terms of firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:48 pm

thederangedwang wrote:think it all depends on the field..if its biglaw then the difference is small ...however, when we start talking about academia and judicial clerkship stuff then the difference is apparent.....just look at the supreme court now, 6 from HLS, 3 for YLS

when it comes to academia and government, then i think the gap is larger and appreciable...in fact, i would say SLS lags behind Yale n HLS in this regard...judging from leiter's rankings and numbers, SLS really doesnt do better than CCN
While I generally agree with your point that there is an appreciable gap in academia, clerkships, etc., I have to point out the Ginsburg graduated from Columbia, making the count 5-3-1. We also trail Yale by a count of nine justices to twelve all time. Harvard has something like seventeen and no one else (including Stanford) has more than three. This is all worthless for determining where to go to law school today, but that's my pro-CLS trolling for the day.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:48 pm

Bronte wrote:
Not quite the case. If that were true, they would have went all the way. Firms select among Harvard students based on the number of Ps and LPs and crap that they have. Students at lower ranked schools that do better than Harvard students have better options in terms of firms.
Agreed, I think of it more as a safety net-- firms will reach deeper into the class than at lower ranked schools.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I guess there is a gap between Harvard and Chicago: 4 times (25 versus 100) as many Harvard students are shut out of big law because of H's oversupply of grads, only half as many partners per capita for Harvard in relation to Chicago, and worse supreme court clerkship placement.

Oh. And a diluted educational quality because of their massive faculty filled with too few superstars.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I guess there is a gap between Harvard and Chicago: 4 times (25 versus 100) as many Harvard students are shut out of big law because of their oversupply of grads, only half as many partners per capital for Harvard in relation to Chicago, and worse supreme court clerkship placement.
:roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm

thederangedwang wrote:think it all depends on the field..if its biglaw then the difference is small ...however, when we start talking about academia and judicial clerkship stuff then the difference is apparent.....just look at the supreme court now, 6 from HLS, 3 for YLS

when it comes to academia and government, then i think the gap is larger and appreciable...in fact, i would say SLS lags behind Yale n HLS in this regard...judging from leiter's rankings and numbers, SLS really doesnt do better than CCN
The problem with this logic is that all those top students at HYS self-selecting into public interest increase the ease of getting a firm job from HYS. HYS and CCN are not equal for getting a firm job. HYS are better for getting a firm job.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:51 pm

ph14 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Agreed, I think of it more as a safety net-- firms will reach deeper into the class than at lower ranked schools.
but how much deeper? is it really significant, or is that just TLS being so risk averse as to make much adieu about tiny differences?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:51 pm

My favorite part of this type of thread is when Tapei comes in to white knight UChicago.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
but how much deeper? is it really significant, or is that just TLS being so risk averse as to make much adieu about tiny differences?
I think it is significant, maybe not overwhelming but noticeable. Of course, that is purely anecdotal and I don't have anything statistically to back that up so take it for what you will.

But comparing the schools at sticker is one thing, it's much harder to determine how much additional value HLS adds. Half-tuition? I couldn't pinpoint it.
Last edited by ph14 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Bronte wrote:

The problem with this logic is that all those top students at HYS self-selecting into public interest increase the ease of getting a firm job from HYS. HYS and CCN are not equal for getting a firm job. HYS are better for getting a firm job.
This is probably true. But its only relevance is when you are looking at students in the bottom quarter of the class or perhaps bottom third. I would think the HYS kid who is bottom 1/3 is going to have an easier time than a CCN kid who is bottom 1/3. Again, this is just in reference to getting a firm job.

minnesotamike

New

Post by minnesotamike » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:01 pm

IAFG wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
TITCQ. This is also a question that will not be answered on this forum. Nor, probably, anywhere until the ABA begins to audit schools' employment statistics (i.e., when our grandkids are going to law school to study Space Law).

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 pm

It depends. For NYC big law, the gap between H and CLS/NYU is probably not huge, although the rarity of YLS and SLS grads still insulates the bottom of their class, relative to CLS/NYU where a significant number of people get a big firm job.

For some "snobby" jobs, however, there is a real gap between HYS and CCN. Williams and Connolly has 48 attorneys from HLS, and 9 from Columbia. At Covington DC, it's almost 100 attorneys from HLS and 19 from Columbia. I did OCI in DC, and it was quite clear that T14 was the minimum requirement to play the game, CCN, except maybe Chicago, wasn't considered in a different league, but HYS were considered legitimately prestigious.

LawClerkAddict used to track some good data: http://lawclerkaddict2009.blogspot.com/

For 2008, the top appellate judges hired:

"The Dozen Most Prestigious Federal Appellate Judges:
Boudin: Harvard, Harvard, Harvard, Yale
Calabresi: Cornell, Harvard, NYU, Yale
Easterbrook: Chicago, Harvard
Garland: Harvard, Harvard, Michigan, Yale
Kozinski: Chicago, Harvard, Northwestern, Tulane
O'Scannlain: Cornell, Virginia, Yale, Yale
Posner: Chicago, Harvard, NYU
Reinhardt: Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, Yale
Sentelle: Duke, Harvard, Harvard
Tatel: Duke, Georgetown, Stanford
Wilkinson: Northwestern, Stanford, Virginia, Virginia
S. Williams (Sr.): Berkeley, Chicago, Yale"

That's 12 Harvard, 7 Yale, 1 Columbia.

minnesotamike

New

Post by minnesotamike » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Last edited by minnesotamike on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnesotamike

New

Post by minnesotamike » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:11 pm

If you want a clerkship, this post illustrates the chasm that exists between HYS and CCN (at least during 2009-2010).

Wow.

Edit per Transfer's update below: The post apparently refers only to Circuit Court 'ships.

http://lawclerkaddict2009.blogspot.com/ ... chool.html
Last edited by minnesotamike on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:17 pm

minnesotamike wrote:If you want a clerkship, this post illustrates the chasm that exists between HYS and CCN (at least during 2009-2010).

Wow.

Just to clarify -- those are #s for Circuit clerkships only.

booasa

New

Post by booasa » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 pm

rayiner wrote:It depends. For NYC big law, the gap between H and CLS/NYU is probably not huge, although the rarity of YLS and SLS grads still insulates the bottom of their class, relative to CLS/NYU where a significant number of people get a big firm job.

For some "snobby" jobs, however, there is a real gap between HYS and CCN. Williams and Connolly has 48 attorneys from HLS, and 9 from Columbia. At Covington DC, it's almost 100 attorneys from HLS and 19 from Columbia. I did OCI in DC, and it was quite clear that T14 was the minimum requirement to play the game, CCN, except maybe Chicago, wasn't considered in a different league, but HYS were considered legitimately prestigious.

LawClerkAddict used to track some good data: http://lawclerkaddict2009.blogspot.com/

For 2008, the top appellate judges hired:

"The Dozen Most Prestigious Federal Appellate Judges:
Boudin: Harvard, Harvard, Harvard, Yale
Calabresi: Cornell, Harvard, NYU, Yale
Easterbrook: Chicago, Harvard
Garland: Harvard, Harvard, Michigan, Yale
Kozinski: Chicago, Harvard, Northwestern, Tulane
O'Scannlain: Cornell, Virginia, Yale, Yale
Posner: Chicago, Harvard, NYU
Reinhardt: Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, Yale
Sentelle: Duke, Harvard, Harvard
Tatel: Duke, Georgetown, Stanford
Wilkinson: Northwestern, Stanford, Virginia, Virginia
S. Williams (Sr.): Berkeley, Chicago, Yale"

That's 12 Harvard, 7 Yale, 1 Columbia.
And 3 for Chicago which is 1/3 or less the size of Harvard and 1/2 or less the size of CLS

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
minnesotamike wrote:If you want a clerkship, this post illustrates the chasm that exists between HYS and CCN (at least during 2009-2010).

Wow.

Just to clarify -- those are #s for Circuit clerkships only.
Sweet site - spring for this one though: --LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”