Oklahoma City Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mr. Pancakes

Oklahoma City Law

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:04 pm

My father has a firm in the area so getting a job isn't an issue. I'm 27 years old and my dad is getting close to retirement age so I would like to practice with him before he steps down. I would like to enter school in the fall because of the limited amount of years I have left to work with the old guy. Does anyone have any experience with OKC law? I am new here and I know some people are top 100 or kill yourself types but I know many people, including family members, who went to non-top 100 schools and are doing very well. Most of my family went to Washburn but I think my numbers are too low to get in there since my sister had similar numbers and was rejected. Hopefully someone who has vistited, attended, or is attending OKC law could give me some advice on what they think.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fakehunter

Re: Oklahoma City Law

Postby fakehunter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't know much about the school, but I think people here are top 100 or die because it's insanely hard to get a job without going to a T1 school. But if you already have a job lined up, then I don't think that's an issue. Good luck!

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:41 pm

fakehunter wrote:I don't know much about the school, but I think people here are top 100 or die because it's insanely hard to get a job without going to a T1 school. But if you already have a job lined up, then I don't think that's an issue. Good luck!

Yea, that makes sense. I just want to go somewhere that gives me a degree, a decent foundation and great chance to pass the bar the first go around. Once I get done I think a lot of the learning will come from working with experienced lawyers. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with oklahoma city.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote: I am new here and I know some people are top 100 or kill yourself types but I know many people, including family members, who went to non-top 100 schools and are doing very well.

It's YHS or kill yourself, please don't misrepresent us

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Its not HYS or even top 100 if you have a job guaranteed when you graduate. Just keep your debt low. I would also focus on working with your Dad and making local connections for yourself.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:20 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote: I am new here and I know some people are top 100 or kill yourself types but I know many people, including family members, who went to non-top 100 schools and are doing very well.

I will remember that....Even though my gpa is low I am transgendered Cherokee lesbian who organized the OWS protest while nursing a retarded manatee back to health. Do you think that would give me a chance to get in at one of the hippie- back-slapping/wine tasting clubs like YHS? I so dearly don't want to kill myself if I don't make it at one of those schools. Plus, who's going to breast feed this manatee when I'm dead?

Any okc info?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

I will remember that....Even though my gpa is low I am transgendered Cherokee lesbian who organized the OWS protest while nursing a retarded manatee back to health. Do you think that would give me a chance to get in at one of the hippie- back-slapping/wine tasting clubs like YHS? I so dearly don't want to kill myself if I don't make it at one of those schools. Plus, who's going to breast feed this manatee when I'm dead?

Any okc info?

IBTL

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:22 pm

This has to be a flame.

You're probably not cut out for practicing law if you only scored a 151. I know your father practices, but that doesn't mean its right for you. Sometimes it skips a generation or two. I would seriously consider alternative career options. That being said, your choices are EXTREMELY limited. Why not just attend the Oklahoma City University School of Law? You'll rack up some serious debt, but I doubt you'll earn any kind of scholarship anywhere else. If you can commute there, I would recommend doing so. Its median LSAT is a 151 and median GPA is a 3.13.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Any okc info?

LOL and IBTL

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Any okc info?

Something fishy about this...ah. How do you know if a manatee is retarded?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:25 pm

sunynp wrote:Its not HYS or even top 100 if you have a job guaranteed when you graduate. Just keep your debt low. I would also focus on working with your Dad and making local connections for yourself.

true, I just think that some folks on here who attack people for going to lesser schools is unproductive. I'll probably take the test again in Feb to go to a OKC type school and hopefully pick up some scholly money.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:28 pm

mrtoren wrote:This has to be a flame.

You're probably not cut out for practicing law if you only scored a 151. I know your father practices, but that doesn't mean its right for you. Sometimes it skips a generation or two. I would seriously consider alternative career options. That being said, your choices are EXTREMELY limited. Why not just attend the Oklahoma City University School of Law? You'll rack up some serious debt, but I doubt you'll earn any kind of scholarship anywhere else. If you can commute there, I would recommend doing so. Its median LSAT is a 151 and median GPA is a 3.13.

On what grounds do you think someone is not able to practice law with a 151? or is that just your opinion? Just curious.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:28 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

I don't know I thought they were all retarded. :(

Any okc info?

Something fishy about this...ah. How do you know if a manatee is retarded?

aren't they all retarded?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

On what grounds do you think someone is not able to practice law with a 151? or is that just your opinion? Just curious.

Because other than English not being your first language, the test is not that fucking hard

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Because other than English not being your first language, the test is not that fucking hard

And being a lawyer is?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

beach_terror wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

And being a lawyer is?

fair point

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:34 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

So you are saying someone who scores a 151 is not smart enough to become a good lawyer? Just making sure I am really hearing what you are trying to say.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Because other than English not being your first language, the test is not that fucking hard[/quote]
And being a lawyer is?[/quote]

fair point[/quote]

I've known some real dumbass lawyers who did pretty well for themselves. I can at least hope to be king of the dummies.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:20 pm

You still rocking just a 158? I don't think that entitles you to be making fun of people with lower LSAT scores. I would consider retaking if I was you (if you haven't), since right now your career prospects at the schools you will get into with a 158 are pretty shitty.

Getting a high LSAT score is not a perquisite for being a good lawyer. Sure, OP should retake to help limit his debt, but telling a person they're not smart enough to be a lawyer is just funny. You don't have to be a genius to do this job.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:You still rocking just a 158? I don't think that entitles you to be making fun of people with lower LSAT scores. I would consider retaking if I was you (if you haven't), since right now your career prospects at the schools you will get into with a 158 are pretty shitty.

Getting a high LSAT score is not a perquisite for being a good lawyer. Sure, OP should retake to help limit his debt, but telling a person they're not smart enough to be a lawyer is just funny. You don't have to be a genius to do this job.

I'm glad to see you've done your research. I'm not on a soap box here. But what you fail to take into account is that an additional 25% of test-takers fall between a 151 and a 158. Its a bell curve and it drops off rapidly. I'm at the very bottom of what's considered acceptable. I can get into, and already have been admitted to, several solid TT schools...some with scholarship money (Ooohh!). I'm also glad to see you've done..well, no research..on schools in this range. Not too surprising with the attitude you're wielding though. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Certainly BigLaw is off the table at most of these schools, but that's not a concern for me. Nevertheless, I can tell you there is a big difference between the schools you can attend with a 158 vs. those you can attend with a 151. This thread is less about me justifying myself than it is about the OP though...

Getting a high LSAT score is not a prerequisite for being a good lawyer? Did you listen to yourself while you were typing that? I would say that a lawyer from Yale is better than a lawyer from Cooley. Getting a high LSAT score is one of only two things (the more important one too!) that separates an individual from attending Yale or Cooley. In fact, in 99% of cases I can tell what kind of law school an attorney went to by watching them argue a case. I wish for butterflies and sunshine everyday too, but that's just not the world we live in. You don't get a good LSAT score, you don't attend a good law school, you don't become as good of a lawyer.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

You still rocking just a 158? I don't think that entitles you to be making fun of people with lower LSAT scores. I would consider retaking if I was you (if you haven't), since right now your career prospects at the schools you will get into with a 158 are pretty shitty.

Agreed. I know plenty of successful lawyers and :shock: trust me not all of these guys are Albert Einsteins. A lot of these guys have pretty average intellect with above average work ethic. Maybe I should have studied harder for the LSAT, and maybe I did underestimate the test by not prepping too much, but I think getting a 151 qualifies me to be at least slightly above special olympics intellect. ......At least I hope it does. :oops: I could blame playing college football as a reason why my GPA was low, but I know a lot of guys that I played ball with who had better grades than I did so it is not a great excuse. Either way I plan on going to the best school the I get accepted to and I will make sure I update everyone throughout the process. I wish you all the best too :D , well as long as we don't go to the same school.... :lol:

Back to the POINT>Does Anyone have any experience with OKC. Visited/waitlisted/attended/graduated/rejected/transferred/knew someone who knew someone who thought about going there?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:57 pm

mrtoren wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:You still rocking just a 158? I don't think that entitles you to be making fun of people with lower LSAT scores. I would consider retaking if I was you (if you haven't), since right now your career prospects at the schools you will get into with a 158 are pretty shitty.

I'm glad to see you've done your research. I'm not on a soap box here. But what you fail to take into account is that an additional 25% of test-takers fall between a 151 and a 158. Its a bell curve and it drops off rapidly. I'm at the very bottom of what's considered acceptable. I can get into, and already have been admitted to, several solid TT schools...some with scholarship money (Ooohh!). I'm also glad to see you've done..well, no research..on schools in this range. Not too surprising with the attitude you're wielding though. There are good ones and there are bad ones. Certainly BigLaw is off the table at most of these schools, but that's not a concern for me. Nevertheless, I can tell you there is a big difference between the schools you can attend with a 158 vs. those you can attend with a 151. This thread is less about me justifying myself than it is about the OP though...

Getting a high LSAT score is not a prerequisite for being a good lawyer? Did you listen to yourself while you were typing that? I would say that a lawyer from Yale is better than a lawyer from Cooley. Getting a high LSAT score is one of only two things (the more important one too!) that separates an individual from attending Yale or Cooley. In fact, in 99% of cases I can tell what kind of law school an attorney went to by watching them argue a case. I wish for butterflies and sunshine everyday too, but that's just not the world we live in. You don't get a good LSAT score, you don't attend a good law school, you don't become as good of a lawyer.

Oh man, I'll have to tell my folks that people who went to yale are better lawyers than them. I'm sure they'll shut the firm down. :cry:

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Some ppl suck. This isn't the place for a t14 or bust argument.

You'll be fine out of OCU so long as you have a job lined up. I've been in OK for awhile now - the only people competing for any Oklahoma private or public jobs are OU, Tulsa, and OCU. I know more than five attorneys who have graduated OCU and are doing more than fine. Yes, anecdotal evidence, but I can assure you that if you perform well at OCU and can leverage yourself with networking you can make it.

Keep in mind this only holds true for the state of Oklahoma, and possibly the greater OKC area as well. But, as you've said, this is irrelevant as you have a job lined up.

Oklahoma City is in Oklahoma, but it is still probably the best place to be. OKC has been growing quite a bit, and the downtown area is becoming vibrant. With a reasonable pay, enjoyable work, and a tight network, you can have a great life here.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 pm

mrtoren wrote:

OP doesn't have to justify himself because he has a job waiting for him. You don't I presume, right? I hope you are limiting your debt as much as possible. (And if you want some advice: you really should consider sitting out a year, retaking and reapplying, and getting into schools where you'll actually have a fighting chance of getting any sort of legal job afterwards. The schools you are applying to turn out plenty of graduates who end up not finding any legal job whatsoever.)

And your last paragraph is a logic fail. I never said that LSAT score couldn't be a predictor of lawyer quality. It is a predictor for sure, though who knows how strong of one. All I said that a high LSAT score is not a prerequisite for being a good lawyer. No more, no less. That's not that bold of an assertion at all. And thinking "good law schools" make good lawyers, while bad law schools don't do as good of a job is a pretty laughable assertion. Trust me, you don't learn too many practical skills in law school. The people who are generally are loading up on clinics taught by practitioners and doing internships (which you can do at most schools). I love UT but I doubt I wouldn't be able to be as good of a lawyer if I had attended a lower ranked school in Texas. Hell, Baylor probably would have taught me more practical things by now (though I may have been miserable the whole time).

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Edit: Just keep your debt low since it doesn't really matter where you go, OP. You're probably better off at a local school where you can connect with other people who'll be in the same market and will form part of your network. Sounds like you've got a good situation set up for you, good luck.
Last edited by stratocophic on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”