Alabama $$$ vs. UGA in state

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
murray18

Alabama $$$ vs. UGA in state

Postby murray18 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 am

Hey folks,

I've asked a similar question before, but my situation has changed a bit and i need some help. I've been offered 25k per year (40% class rank stip, 10k if I lose it) at bama, and ill be paying in state tuition at Georgia. No matter what happens, bama will be cheaper. I don't have burning aspirations of biglaw, but then again that could change. How do these schools stack up, and what would you do?

Thanks guys.

duckmoney

Re: Alabama $$$ vs. UGA in state

Postby duckmoney » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:15 am

Peer schools are peer schools.

Georgia places better into Atlanta, Bama places better into Birmingham. Salaries are higher in Atlanta, but so is cost of living.

If Bama will be cheaper either way, and you like the school and are indifferent to location, then that might be the better option. If you would prefer to be in Georgia permanently, you should probably shell out for UGA.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 am

They are very similar. It comes down to where you want to live. Athens has a rep for being a party town

murray18

Postby murray18 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 am

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll probably end up at Alabama, but I wanted to be sure there wasn't some top secret tls wisdom about either school.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:43 am

Also, are those stipulations pretty good? I mean, they seem reasonable, and top 40%is roughly a 3.0 gpa, but I know some schools have a bad rep for section stacking and whatnot.

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 am

murray18 wrote:Also, are those stipulations pretty good? I mean, they seem reasonable, and top 40%is roughly a 3.0 gpa, but I know some schools have a bad rep for section stacking and whatnot.

I was wondering the same thing. I got the 40% stip at Bama also. Is that manageable? I like to think that if I am not in the top 40% I shouldn't be in law school, but I could be wrong.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:35 am

beezy08 wrote:
murray18 wrote:Also, are those stipulations pretty good? I mean, they seem reasonable, and top 40%is roughly a 3.0 gpa, but I know some schools have a bad rep for section stacking and whatnot.

I was wondering the same thing. I got the 40% stip at Bama also. Is that manageable? I like to think that if I am not in the top 40% I shouldn't be in law school, but I could be wrong.

No, it's not good. There's a 60% chance you'll lose it. But it is what it is. If you can negotiate it away, then that's great, otherwise Bama at least has the benefit of still being pretty cheap.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:57 am

Nick Saban vs. Mark Richt. No brainer.

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:38 pm

duckmoney wrote:Peer schools are peer schools.

Georgia places better into Atlanta, Bama places better into Birmingham. Salaries are higher in Atlanta, but so is cost of living.

If Bama will be cheaper either way, and you like the school and are indifferent to location, then that might be the better option. If you would prefer to be in Georgia permanently, you should probably shell out for UGA.

This, but just know that even though Bama and UGA are peers in terms of reputation and prestige in their respective states, there is a discernible difference in job prospects.

Look at Law School Transparency(btw anyone trying to decide on law schools should at least compare LST data first)
Bama has 10% making above 100k, UGA has 16% above 130k, 24% above 90k (yes i know thats due to a relatively larger atlanta market versus birmingham and higher cost of living in atlanta).

While 80% of UGA got full-time bar required employment, only 2/3 of Bama's 2009 class got full-time bar required employment.

Furthermore, UGA had around 10% A3 clerkship while, Bama has around 6-7%.

Keep in mind that these are for class of 2009 which is like almost half a decade from when you would be graduating, but its the best that we have so far.

Im not going to compare NLJ between the two because bama firms arent big enough to be included in NLJ 250.

So it seems like if you go to bama, you will spend 15k total up to 45K total(if you lose scholly) versus 45K for three years of instate at UGA. Lets say you have a 50% chance of making top 40% then choosing Bama means an expected payment of around 30k versus 45K at UGA.

So ask yourself is 15K worth it to work in georgia versus alabama, considering that UGA enjoys a slight advantage in job prospects and clerkship.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:46 pm

splittinghairs wrote:Im not going to compare NLJ between the two because bama firms arent big enough to be included in NLJ 250.

There are multiple NLJ 250 firms that are HQ'd in Birmingham with multiple offices around the state. Not many, sure, but they are there.

Are you certain you aren't going to get any money from UGA later in the cycle? Either way, if I were choosing between these schools, my main priority would be minimizing debt. It won't be impossible to get to Atlanta from Alabama. I would try to get out of the grade stipulation, though.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:11 pm

I really doubt I'll get any money from UGA later in the cycle since I'm in state (though I am an alum). I may be wrong, but im not counting on it.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Unless you're from Alabama, I vote Georgia. If you have in-state tuition, I'm guessing you're currently in Georgia. I think it's much wiser to stay in GA. Unless you really want to be in Alabama for the rest of your life, do yourself a favor and go to UGA. Even if you end up at median, you'll still have a shot at a decent size law firm and will come out making more than you would have in Alabama. If you do well, you'll come out making $135k at a solid firm. Also, Georgia's had a few supreme court clerkships over the past few years.

Georgia has a greater upside. Alabama saves you $15k. Sounds like an easy choice.

DefyingGravity

Postby DefyingGravity » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:32 pm

I think Georgia is worth the extra money.

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:I think Georgia is worth the extra money.

Agreed. AND you'll be a Double Dawg? Dude, stay at UGA. Bama is not what you want to do. I'd bet you can take a UGA degree into Alabama quicker than you can bring a Bama degree into Georgia.

It's simply not enough cash to go to Alabama. Stay in GA.

DefyingGravity

Postby DefyingGravity » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Random question: when I post, what does BBC code/enable or disable BBC code mean?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”